2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2022217 01/27/13 03:14 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone! I'm new and I hope this forum will be if great help!
I currently have a Yamaha T118 and its just not cutting it for me as I'm moving onto grade 8. So I decided to get a grand piano. I like to play with force so my teacher told me a baby grand will be the best option. I've been looking at the Yamaha GB1K and GC1.
I'm interested in Kawai's but my teacher seems to hate them. But from what I've seen heard and read they seem possibly even better then Yamaha's! (Because of their technology)
Also, I've been looking at some Pearl River grands. And they seem so ridiculously cheap for the size! I was wondering why, can anyone tell me?
Basically, can anyone recommend some options of Grand Pianos? My budget is around $16,000 and I would actually rather buy a used piano. (I feel as if they're easier to play)
Thanks a bunch to all of you guys!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm interested in Kawai's but my teacher seems to hate them.

Free yourself from the fetters of your teacher & start thinking for yourself!

For starters, it's "your" life - "your" taste.

P.S. What's your next piano teacher "hate"?

Norbert cry

Last edited by Norbert; 01/27/13 06:12 PM.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
For 16k you can find a very nice used full size grand of good quality. I'd stay away from "baby" grands ie less 5'6". And Pearl River would not be on my list.

Take your time and you will find a very nice piano. Kawai and Yamaha are both very good.

P
P
Originally Posted by Jason Zhao
Also, I've been looking at some Pearl River grands. And they seem so ridiculously cheap for the size! I was wondering why, can anyone tell me?

They are not in the same league. And they do not sound their size imo.

Last edited by personne; 01/27/13 03:37 PM.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Jason - Welcome to Piano World!

First of all, don't rush. Take some time to read the posts here and you will learn a lot about different manufacturers. It's an expanding universe. There are ongoing threads with various thoughts about new vs. used.

Check out "Piano Buyer" as it will give you lots of info about purchasing a piano and how to proceed with your search. On the left side of this screen, you can click on the free online version or order the print copy.

Off the top of my head, there are two instruments which come to mind that might fit your needs and budget. Both are new 5'-10" pianos. The Cunningham-Parlour Grand and the Hailun HG178 are very nice instruments.

The biggest thing might be your location. Some areas have lots of recently built, used pianos and other locations don't. Availability of different brands can vary from region to region.

Enjoy your search and take your time.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
M
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty

Enjoy your search and take your time.

This is the best advice. Don't be in a rush to buy, and try out as much as you can. Although I don't take my own advice LOL - I know what I like and when I find it I jump on it smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Basically, can anyone recommend some options of Grand Pianos? My budget is around $16,000 and I would actually rather buy a used piano. (I feel as if they're easier to play)
Used grands can be a very good way to get the most bang for your buck, but it is not a true generalization, assuming the new grands are decently regulated, that used pianos are easier to play than new grands. In addition, used grands require more care when purchasing, especially if they are older used grands.

I would ignore your teacher's advice about Kawais.

Happy hunting!

R
R
Same advice as what others have said. Take your time and play lots of pianos until you are comfortable making your own decision. I think most new pianos available today are pretty decent instruments and adequate for most but the very capable musicians. Take your time and play everything, and get what you like. Don't let the letters on the fallboard outweigh what your ears and fingers tell you.

Even if you are planning to buy used, play around a lot first to get a sense what you like. Then get an expert tech to evaluate the piano that you would like to buy.

Plug for Pearl River: I got a Rittmuller baby grand which is made by Pearl River. It is a fine piano.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I'm interested in Kawai's but my teacher seems to hate them. But from what I've seen heard and read they seem possibly even better then Yamaha's! (Because of their technology)

I also prefer Yamaha over Kawai, but I don't see why that has anything to do with what you may like. Since you are moving to grade 8, you are much better off than most people buying a piano. You could actually play and decide for yourself what you like. I don't think technology should be the deciding factor. Personally, if technology was that important, I would have bought a Kawai for sure, but I didn't, because despite their sexy carbon fiber action, their pianos just didn't do anything for me.

Forget about what your teacher likes. Just get what you like. In the end, they are all good, so there is no wrong choice.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Good advice so far!

Use www.pianobuyer.com as a resource. If nothing else you will learn what is available.

Then play them all! If you have questions, do not hesitate to come back and ask them here.

Good luck,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
When will your teacher hear your piano? Does he/she drive to your house for the lessons.
Get what you want.
Pianos last longer than teachers, lovers and dogs.

S
S
i've seen very good Yamaha C3 at and Kawai RX2 at that price range..

PLEYEL P124
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I guess the obvious to me is that at Grade 7+, you have the requisite skill to evaluate choices for preference. I feel the GB1k is not enough of an upgrade.

Beyond that, I would start with as many new pianos as you can in your budget. There are more than a few that would be equal or better than commonly available used choices. Of course there can be good used choices, but the biggest mistake most people make when looking used is not having real benchmarks to figure out if something seems like a deal or actually is a deal. Also, given your significant commitment thus far, a new instrument that you are likely to keep long term has numerous advantages.

Good luck in your search!

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
Also, given your significant commitment thus far, a new instrument that you are likely to keep long term has numerous advantages

Unless it's entry level.

In which case you may have to go through the whole chore of buying a "good piano" later once again...

Norbert

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Some options for used grands in your price range:

*Yamaha C series (if you like the sound). At this price range I suggest stay away from the G series.
*Schimmel
*Mason and Hamlin (yes if you're patient you can probably get a used Mason and Hamlin for your budget)
*Petrof
*Estonia
*Kawai RX series
*Charles Walter (they're rare... but maybe)
*Baldwin

For new I'd add Hailun. At your price range a piano from a top notch rebuilder is probably out, so I'd suggest a piano that's not real old.

Re Pearl River - the ones branded "Pearl River" seem to be strictly entry level pianos... however they do have other lines which some have had good experiences with (Ritmuller, Kaiserberg).

Pianist and Piano Teacher
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jason, this is a really exciting time for you! I think a piano is the most personal purchase anyone will ever make, including owning a home. After all, we put our hearts and souls into our pianos so yours should be what you want. I agree with Norbert; your teacher's opinion is just that, an opinion. You need to find what you want and what speaks to you.

Do lots and lots of research. Take your time, read, visit all the dealers you are able. Go back again and again, play the pianos over and over. We all know a piano's touch and sound can change daily. This is almost like choosing a spouse, you have the right to be particular.

My advice is to try to stay with a 6' or more. (My personal "sweet spot" is 7'). Your teacher's comment, "I like to play with force so my teacher told me a baby grand will be the best option" is a bit confusing. I don't understand that one. Seems like a high quality upright would be a better choice than a baby grand. But then, I'm not a teacher.

Check with your technician. He/she may be a great source if you'd rather buy used. A great piano technician is worth their weight in gold!

Good luck in your search. Keep us posted!

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

J
OP Offline
J
OMG I'm so sorry everyone!!!
I thought that I would receive an e-mail when I got someone to post! (oops)
I think my current options are Yamaha GC1 and GC2 or Kawai RX-1 and GE-30.
I'm really interested in buying used but the problem is those dealers will scam me to infinity! They got $800 off of me last time!

J
OP Offline
J
So when I do walk in there, they will make a bee-line towards me and being the shy and reserved person I am, I have no way to defend myself but for them to drag me all across the store and make me pay extra money because the business man 'helped' me.

J
OP Offline
J
I really like Yamaha and Kawai sounds. Yamaha sounds energetic yet soft, but Kawai sounds mellow and calm.
Although the touch on the Kawai is very heavy. And I like the Yamaha C Series. I heard that in Edmonton, piano prices are higher.

S
S
go with your heart both are excellent choice.
Try to defend your self next time, say no when you feels like saying "no".
RX is equivalent to C series
where GC is the qeuivalent to GE.

PLEYEL P124
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission