2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
54 members (1957, bcalvanese, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 7 invisible), 1,377 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
JBeck Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, my next question would be, is it possible to get this sound from a digital Yamaha or is the sound outputed to modules which have their own voices? Basically, what makes it possible to get this sound?

Last edited by JBeck; 09/18/09 06:39 PM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
that almost sounds like a digital built into an empty grand.

Max di Mario
S
S
Elton uses many different sounds. He layers sounds frequently, and he uses effects like delays,choruses, etc. His diverse sound pallet is most on display in his solo shows. He has become identified with a bright piano tone that actually comes from an early non-sampled digital piano, the Roland RD1000 (in rack form as the MKS-20). The RD1000 was the first digital piano that sounded good and had an organic response. Roland's sound modelling synthesis made the RD1000 sound more acoustic than the FM pianos of the day. These days Elton is likely to mix the RD1000 tone with acoustic piano samples, strings, or whatever he wants. There are RD1000 soundfonts floating around on the web if you want to experiment with layers. Here's a good Youtube video demonstrating the Elton John sound on a real RD1000. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z0r0QlrIJ8

Step Back! he's got a synthesizer, and he isn't afraid to use it.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HooDoo
Here' a clip from a show that Elton produces with an acoustic piano performance by Diana Krall. Quite a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM1ZE86Y2qY

Well, I started the clip just wanting to hear the difference in piano tone but stayed for that rocking amazing performance. Krall says at the end that that's the piece that made her want to play jazz piano. Heck, it's made me want to play jazz piano and I've never wanted to before!

Just saying.

Okay, back to topic ... Yeah, Elton's piano isn't enjoyable for me at all. But, to each his/her own. smile

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
What I heard, in Orlando a few months ago was at least 12 different piano sounds, changing from one song to another, including the sound posted here. Elton didn't change the sound himself, someone else did.

j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Yeah the YouTube recording seemed pretty buzzy and listening to it on an iPad makes it that much worse.

I guess we can only judge the true Elton Yamaha sound live in concert.

I have heard a CFIII live, never got to play one though, and the sound was wonderful.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
To me it sounds a lot like a CP80 (Yamaha Electric Grand from the 70's) Maybe Yamaha used the same pickup system they developed for that instrument, or maybe it's midi'd to a sound module using a sample that sounds like a CP80. I don't think the YouTube recording is a good way to judge the results as it surely sounded much different to the audience. Concert sound and recording studio sound are two completely different animals. In a recording studio you never have to deal with feedback, but in concert sound feedback is your constant #1 enemy.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have my original RD 1000 with a large Peavy amp/speaker- still sounds pretty good.

fingers

Playing piano at age 2, it was thought that I was some sort of idiot-savant. As it turns out, I'm just an idiot.
From what I read around about Elton's setup he actually uses the sound of his acoustic piano mixed with a digital sound (cp80? I'm not sure). So the actual blend between acoustic and digital give a piano sound with a little more punch and brightness. And his piano is prepared with a MIDI system.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I always thought Elton and Steinway were bedfellows . . . but this didn`t mike up well. Not good.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Yammy anniversary...

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
I din't listen to the video but I can comment on what EJ is currently using at least at his vegas show.

I've been backstage at the Million Dollar Piano show and Elton's keyboard tech is a client of ours. On the MDP show, while the MDP piano is a fully functioning Yamaha CF model, all the house and monitor sound is purely digital. There is no attempt to mix acoustic sound in with the digital. I believe this is the same for all his big hall shows with regard to acoustic sounds but I won't swear I know it's true except that I know that he uses the same rack set-up I describe all over the world. He has four identical set-up and pianos (minus the video screens) parked in storage. Two in the US, one in the UK and one on the continent. The digital sound is a mix of Roland MKS-20 and Yamaha Motifs. I want to say they were ES models but again, I can't swear to it. Elton doesn't like IEM's and monitors with wedges set into the deck at a fairly high volume. According to his tech, getting a mic'ed up piano loud enough without feedback would require such drastic EQ that it would be much worse than the digital piano sound they are able to get.

There are multiple units of each type in the rack both for layering and for preloading the up-coming patch which is done manually, that is, while MIDI patch control is used, no type of sequenced show control is. His tech is at the rack in monitor world pressing buttons.

Kurt

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
The answer is contained in a couple of posts above -

But the PRINCIPLE tonality of the piano is Roland RD1000/MKS-20. Reinforcement comes from Yamaha Power Grand and one or two other sources that form a very small part of the overall sound. The Roland sound is modelled, not sampled and that makes it extremely expressive and satisfying for him to play but the Roland sound lacks tonal accuracy to a real piano and is very metallic sounding when played hard. In addition to that it lacks some definition and clarity and this is where the Yamaha Power Grand sound comes in as it cuts through an electric band like no other digital piano sound and gives exceptional clarity. Even in the hardest rock numbers the piano comes through very articulately, which is unusual in rock music. In my opinion this is the reason Elton has stuck with this set up despite the fact it really doesn't sound very natural. Personally I would like to hear a more organic sounding piano, especially during ballads.

The sound pressure from the monitors at Elton's head during live shows has been measured at 120db and so as stated above the task of getting a true acoustic piano to give enough signal before feedback is too much hassle - his vocal mic is also very difficult because he likes his monitors incredibly loud.

Last night during Yamaha's 125th anniversary concert Elton thanked Yamaha for the great support they give him and other artists, especially up-and-coming artists. He went on to say that earlier in his career he had used a very famous American piano but the manufacturer (which we all know is Steinway) "didn't give a sh*t".

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I wouldn't bet all my money that the piano in the initial post is an acoustic piano. If I didn't see the shell of a grand piano I'd think it was a digital.

If it is in fact an acoustic piano they certainly could have made it sound more natural.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
B
B
The irony is he plays and endorses a Yamaha, but the sound acvtually is Roland ! The big grand is only for showing off...

I really can't believe the techs can't properly mike and amplify the piano, the Roland digital sound is just so horrible, I could kill the guy that conceived that...

Possibly Elton hears the real piano on stage, that crap is just for the audience...

1950 Hamburg Steinway Model D
1980 Hamburg Steinway Model B
"Galaxy Vintage D" on my laptop when travelling (amazing sample of the 1930 Steinway D at Bauer Tonstudios, Germany) Almost feels like home!
B
B
If Lady Gaga can play a Roland V-Piano Grand (as she did in England recently) successfully - and make it sound like a real piano, why doesn't Elton just paint 'Yamaha' over one (or put a Yammy case over a V-Piano slab) and please both his sponsor and his discerning audience at the same time? grin

He can even make the V sound as odd as he wants, if that's what he's after....

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I would imagine the action of a concert grand is preferred. The piano sounds change from one song to the next. Kurt's reiteration of the set up is what I heard and saw in concert.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For most of the 125th Anniversary concert, the featured piano was a Yamaha C7. It sounded mic'd. For Elton John, they rolled out the CFIIIS setup. There was a pile of plugs coming out of it. Part of that was for their "remote live" broadcast to disklavier owners. I don't know how to describe the sound fully as there was a lot going on. There was different mixed instrumentation for different parts of the keyboard.

I would have preferred an acoustic piano sound for his song selections of the night, but I certainly enjoyed being there.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
E
E
I've been to a number of EJ concerts and the piano sound does alter slightly from song to song. For instance, Funeral For A Friend has a "growlier" piano sound than some of the ballads. I can't stand that Roland MKS20/RD1000 module. You'd think with the quality of samples and the newer modelled sounds which Yamaha have come out with he could get a nicer, richer, sound than that.

I saw a clip of him playing piano with Ed Sheeran. Looks like he played an AvantGrand - but even that sounded thin and tinny.

I wouldn't be averse to him going back to using Helpinstill pickups - no mic feedback problems and the sound could surely be EQ'd/processed better thesedays than in the 80s when he last used them to make it cut through the band. At least then we'd be getting the real sound from the strings.

He should look himself up on youtube when he did the MTV Unplugged set. Steinway with the lid off, mic'd up. One lovely sounding piano.

Yamaha CP-80
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
My friend John Mahon, who plays percussion in the group, said you can't get anywhere near the 180 degree vicinity of the Elton's piano monitor without risking loss of hearing...it's that loud.. wink cry

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission