2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
I have no doubt that many people would find the impromptu irritating, or annoying probably because it's overplayed, or - a very common ring tone. ha

However, I find the piece more than this. I've wanted to play the piece ever since I started to take piano lessons, and I could never imagine myself being good enough. I wanted to learn it because of the sheer difficulty , and the bravura quality it presents. Now, it seems to speak so much more than that.

Sure the word impromptu means improvisation, and for that reason the work shouldn't be taken too seriously. However I feel it is a very elaborate improvisation... if that makes sense.

It's also well known Chopin himself didn't care for the work, asking it to be left unpublished, due to it's reminiscence with the Moonlight movement 3 (?)

I just wondered if anyone else feels the work has something to say. I would describe it as, pleading, or begging... Silly huh.

Last edited by Beethoven747-400; 01/27/13 06:24 AM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Moscheles wrote a very similar piece (Impromptu op.89), before..., so Chopin would have thought "what you can do, I can do better", and that's very much the case, however, the plagiarism is too obvious, and he knew...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There's evidence, a complete and playable (fair copy) of the manuscript of the piece that was found in private hands, that Chopin had written the piece as a private commission for one particular patron, Mme la Baronne d'Est. As such it would no longer have been his to publish. There is no evidence that Chopin disliked the piece. This is an assumption based on the fact that his copy of the manuscript was in with the unfinished or unpolished works and fragments that he wished to have destroyed at his death. Chopin never mentioned it at all which was not the least bit unusual for him.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
We know that Australia can’t play cricket ...
presently ranked 7th in the 20/20 stakes ...
but the cobber from Perth could be crashing his 747 on a sticky wicket by saying of the Chopin Fantaisie Impromptu Opus 66 in C# minor...

“Sure the word impromptu means improvisation,
and for that reason the work shouldn't be taken too seriously.”

Thank goodness his friend Julian Fontana (to whom dedicated) had the work published ... otherwise we might never have heard the popular song “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” by Harold Arlen/Harry Carroll and sung by the redoubtable Judy Garland ... good old Shopping!

Most of us colonials play the masterpiece with a pretty straight bat ... (meaning we take it seriously) ... there appears to be no truth to the theory that Chopin didn’t like the work ... and packed it away amongst the cobwebs ... thanks Frycek for your support of this line of thought.

I’d like a tiny payout on the royalties Harry Carroll raked in on his smash hit “I’m Always Chasing Rainbows” ... some guys have all the loot!

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
It's probably one of the most-played pieces in my rep, if only for popularity reasons - and the fact that many younger students can't wait to get their hands on the thing.

I've stopped idealistically wishing that people would display the same kind of enthusiasm for, say, the 3rd impromptu (or a myriad of other pieces).

I've never thought of it as inferior - a label that's seems placed because of the piece's relative accessibility to a wide public.

Piano instruction and performance
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gerard12
It's probably one of the most-played pieces in my rep, if only for popularity reasons - and the fact that many younger students can't wait to get their hands on the thing.

I've stopped idealistically wishing that people would display the same kind of enthusiasm for, say, the 3rd impromptu (or a myriad of other pieces).

I've never thought of it as inferior - a label that's seems placed because of the piece's relative accessibility to a wide public.

I agree. I don't understand all the condescension and claims that "it's not real Chopin." etc. It encapsulates quite a lot about Chopin in an accessible way. It is a perfectly respectable intermediate level piece and need not be sneered at. That is an insult to the many people who like it.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beethoven747-400
I have no doubt that many people would find the impromptu irritating, or annoying probably because it's overplayed, or - a very common ring tone.
It's only (perhaps)overplayed by amateurs, but unless one goes to a lot of amateur recitals this isn't relevant. The piece is actually a relative rarity in professional recitals, perhaps because some feel it is not quite on the level of Chopin's greater works.

P
P
When I hear the accents right after the intro, I always get the feeling of something grave and incessant. Hammering, laborious, even primeval. The impromptu calls to me. This is one of the pieces that keep the green feeling of piano for me.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by pianoPupil
When I hear the accents right after the intro, I always get the feeling of something grave and incessant. Hammering, laborious, even primeval. The impromptu calls to me. This is one of the pieces that keep the green feeling of piano for me.

"accents after the intro"? What accents? What intro?

"Hammering, laborious ... primeval"?

Are we thinking about the same work?!?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I actually find it a rather awkward piece; the transitions from section to section sound forced. Its form is inferior to Chopin's other three impromptus in my opinion. I can see why he didn't want it published.

P
P
Originally Posted by BruceD

Thats funny. I guess that there are no specific names for the parts of the fantasie impromptu, but I name them based on how I feel the piece progresses. After the fluttering notes of the beginning, the first Forte marking is in the same place that every first semiquaver in a group of four begins to receive an accent. This is the end of the intro, and where, for me, the hammering begins. Such a hammering sound strikes me in the way I described above. Have you heard it played by Tzvi Erez?

if not:
Youtube - Fantasie Impromptu

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW
I actually find it a rather awkward piece; the transitions from section to section sound forced. Its form is inferior to Chopin's other three impromptus in my opinion. I can see why he didn't want it published.

I don't know if I could call it "awkward", but it has never been one of my favourite pieces by our friend. I don't really feel the joy or sorrow I feel when I listen to his other pieces and well, I think I could say it just doesn't impress me as much as the rest, that's all. frown

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

J
J
Watch this - Give the history of the piece, I learnt a lot by watching this that I didn't previously know... maybe it will clear up some thoughts for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9kKJewslsk

Essex EUP-123S

Originally Posted by ju5t1n-h
Watch this - Give the history of the piece, I learnt a lot by watching this that I didn't previously know... maybe it will clear up some thoughts for yourself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9kKJewslsk
Great video both on the history of the piece and practice techniques.

I couldn't help but notice his answer to the often asked at PW question about 4 vs. 3 rhythmic "problem". He rightly points out that all one has to worry about is coordinating the LH and RH on the first 16th of each beat and the rest of the notes will fall into place automatically. My guess is that most of his videos are as good as this one, and he has over 600 of them!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Very interesting! thumb

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

M
M
I'm working on this at the mo; it's one of my favourite Chopin pieces. Some of it is a bit contrived, maybe. But it just sounds great!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD

Maybe they mean the accents measures 13-22? Someone must be overworking the accents. I'm not sure what Chopin wanted us to do with those. I try hard not to sound like I'm shaping horseshoes.

(I also think a lot of people here are only considering the "theme" from Fantasy Impromptu, the "Chasing Rainbows" bit which may be contributing to the confusion. The whole piece played at anything approaching professional performance speed certainly isn't an easily accessible intermediate level piece as it's been described.)

As for snearing, snearing at the Fantasy Impromptu is just one of the many ways pseudosophisticates reveal themselves.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like the way it's dealt with in the movie Impromptu.

(plays “Fantasie-Impromptu in C minor”)

(sighs)

Chopin: I’m not happy with it.

Sand: Why?

Chopin: Because a perfect impromptu should seem spontaneous and free.
No-one should be able to guess at the desperate calculation behind it.
I’ve been struggling with this for so long.It’s like being tangled in a net. I feel...
I have terrible dreams at night. I think if I ever finish it, then it will have finished me.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

(sighs)

I’ve been struggling with this for so long.It’s like being tangled in a net. I feel...
I have terrible dreams at night. I think if I ever finish it, then it will have finished me.

So now we finally know what really killed the poor guy !!!

Last edited by carey; 01/30/13 10:43 AM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
B
B
Originally Posted by carey

(sighs)

So now we finally know what really killed the poor guy !!!

Gosh, that's even more awful than coughing blood onto the keyboard, then expiring.......

If music be the food of love, play on!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission