2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2021692 01/26/13 03:18 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi,

We've got our PX350 in and my son is thrilled and so am I. But the crappy X-stand we had under the 20-year-old Kawai toy is bouncy and wobbly under the 25 pound 350. It's also too tall. The lowest height is 27" and the PX350 is 4" thick to the top of the keys, so 31" to the keys. With an office chair at the top of it's range my elbows are still below the keyboard and are my sons' even more so (although remarkably only about an inch difference in elbow height even though I am still 11 inches taller than him).

We're going to get a proper bench too, and I think those are typically lower than the 22" maximum office chair height, which is too high for him anyway.

I conclude from all of this this that I need a stand that goes down to 24" or perhaps even lower. So far I've found the KS7350, which based on reviews is very stable and not wobbly at all. But it looks like overkill, and it also looks like this is not continuously adjustable, but only in like large two-inch steps? (Based on holes in the risers.) And it's a bit more heavy-duty than we really need. The top is 16" deep, but the PX-350 is only 12" deep. Is there a better choice for the PX-350 that goes down to 24" high, isn't quite as deep or heavy, and can be adjusted in smaller increments (or continuously)?

I'm leaning away from the Casio CS67 stand. While this is likely to not leave our home in the near future, it is likely to move from room to room frequently, and the CS67 is not any cheaper and seems more cumbersome, but I'm open to discussion there.

Over-thinking things as always,

tom

P.S. Is there anything useful to do with an ancient Kawai WK50?

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Get the furniture stand that is made for that piano.

That will give you a nice piece of furniture and a firm base.

It still is light enough to move around if need be.

If not, it is not that difficult to take it off just for the move.

Most of those stands that make it portable are either wobbly or an eyesore.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
K
K
Originally Posted by dmd
Get the furniture stand that is made for that piano.

That will give you a nice piece of furniture and a firm base.

It still is light enough to move around if need be.

If not, it is not that difficult to take it off just for the move.

Most of those stands that make it portable are either wobbly or an eyesore.

Don, I couldn't agree more! It always astonishes me at how people will willingly spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars are a new DP, yet cheap-out when it comes to the stand and/or bench....

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
I got this portable stand for my PX-350, and it works great:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/290520-REG/K_M_18880_000_55_18880_Table_Style_Keyboard.html

Rock solid, and it barely weighs four pounds. For a portable stand, it's VERY expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think it's worth every penny.

I got my 350 strictly for travel, so I never looked into "permanent" console-type stands.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hi Tom

Have you ever considered turning the X stand on its side?

My X stand was also way too high on its lowest setting. I used various means to make my seat taller. All of these methods failed.

In the end I turned the stand on its side and swapped over the rubbers holding the keyboard in place.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Nah, I just find the digital piano stands to be poor value. After all its three bits of laminated chipboard for $100 or there abouts.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Tom
The advantage of the stand from casio is that it gives you the option of adding the triple pedal unit which

1) is anchored so that it won't wander around as you step on it
2) has real pedals not that abomination of a foot switch that casio ships with their DP's
3) contains una corda and sostenuto as well as sustain. Although I don't know if the una corda on the casio unit is a true una corda or if it just makes the tones lower in volume. In any case, the triple pedal unit might be desirable in the future and if you get the casio stand you'll be set up to get it.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by justpin
Hi Tom

Have you ever considered turning the X stand on its side?

Not on option since it doesn't hinge in the middle - so on it's side it would no longer be level.

tom

T
OP Offline
T
Is the CS67 really 25 pounds? That's pretty heavy, and a big disadvantage. So to move from one room to the other, I am either lugging a cumbersome 50 pounds as one unit, or unscrewing and then reattaching four butterfly screws to move two pieces.

So far the choices are:

The KS7350 stand is 6 pounds lighter, $10 cheaper, easier to move as two separate units, and has the ability to travel if that need ever arises.

Versus the CS67 that stores tighter to the wall, let's you store the bench (partially) under it, and accepts the 3-pedal unit without modification.

A non-wobbly 12" deep platform stand that adjusted down to 24" height would be better than both. Does it exist?

tom

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
Originally Posted by Tom Fine
Is the CS67 really 25 pounds?

I just grabbed my PX-330 + CS-67 + 3-pedal and stood on the scale with and without it ... about 52 pounds!

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I had the same problem with too-high PX-350 keyboard on my X-stand. So I pulled out the built-in height adjustment pin, and . . .

With some 1/4" nylon rope, I tied an end to the top left crossbar of the X-stand (at the center), and ran several loops around the top right crossbar, and back. Tied the rope so that the key surface is 27.5" up from the floor.

With that height, I can use a standard office chair, and the keytops are just below my elbow.

The 3-pedal unit sits across the bottom crossbars of the X-stand, with a piece of cardboard under the center (pedal) section so it bears directly on the floor. Two elastic straps keep it stable on the X-stand. I'll eventually use a piece of rubber of the proper thickness, instead of the cardboard.

This is a crude fix, but cheap and effective.

. charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
I had the same problem with too-high PX-350 keyboard on my X-stand. So I pulled out the built-in height adjustment pin, and . . .

With some 1/4" nylon rope, I tied an end to the top left crossbar of the X-stand (at the center), and ran several loops around the top right crossbar, and back. Tied the rope so that the key surface is 27.5" up from the floor.

With that height, I can use a standard office chair, and the keytops are just below my elbow.

The 3-pedal unit sits across the bottom crossbars of the X-stand, with a piece of cardboard under the center (pedal) section so it bears directly on the floor. Two elastic straps keep it stable on the X-stand. I'll eventually use a piece of rubber of the proper thickness, instead of the cardboard.

Or ... you can just buy the furniture stand that is made for it.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
K
K
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen

Or ... you can just buy the furniture stand that is made for it.

+1 thumb

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
Look into the furniture stand and pedal bundle sold as one unit from Musicians Friend. I can't stress enough how well it works. For an adjustable bench I just use a memory foam X type bench sold there also (forget the name but its the only memory foam X bench sold on MF) and at its top height I could play on the score stand if I wanted my elbows to be just slightly higher if the keyboard was up there. Yes, if your going to move it around it's nice to remove the four wing bolts and then move it, but believe me any man or woman who isn't delicate can just pick it up and move it. The unit is a great deal. The pedal unit actually strengthens the stand too. It is rock solid. The only way it would wobble would be if you put it on really deep pile carpet and started to bang away like Jerry Lee Lewis. I know you're resisting it, but believe me it will be the best $150.00 you will ever spend.

Casio CGP 700 and love it. Learning with Alfred's All in One. I have a real live teacher now!
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
If a Z style stand is acceptable I use this Yamaha model. It is light but stable. When I had one keyboard I lifted the whole thing and moved it room to room every time I played it.

The downside is that because the PX350 is taller the lowest setting places the top of the keys at 28.75" I use a Humanscale Freedom chair and not a piano bench. With a Yamaha MOX the stand was a perfect height. I can live with the 28.75" though.

I have since added a 2nd tier and I no longer move it room to room. Even with two tiers (both boards weigh about 25lbs. each) the stand is stable with only a slight rocking side to side motion when playing (1/2" movement).

As for the 3-pedal unit, I will cut the pedal section out and mount it to a metal plate or piece of wood if I decide to acquire it.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Pictures!

T
OP Offline
T
Hi,

So I've ended up buying the Proline PL700Z, which as far as I can tell is identical to the KS7350 but rebranded (the choice was simply what was available where I went). And also an On Stage Stands flip top piano bench. I'm happy with my choice. At the lowest height it lets the keyboard sit at 28", which is good for my son, and fine for me too. I don't find it at all unattractive, and in fact I think in the free-standing locations where we'll be using it, it actually looks much better than a cabinet stand would. It's rock steady doesn't seem at all prone to topple over as the older X stand was, and for free-standing use I'm also sure it's more stable than the cabinet would have been.

I think the arguments for the cabinet are sensible, and fit other situations, but ours is best served by this setup.

And the other types of stands that were on hand that I looked at didn't seem as steady.

Thanks for all the input.

tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission