2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2010778 01/07/13 06:53 PM
Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, everyone.

I've been viewing these forums for a while now in order to get some good information on the various new digital pianos that are out there.

I currently play piano in my church, and am looking for a new keyboard that has a seamless transition between patches. Many times during a service I'll need to switch between an acoustic piano sound, an electric piano sound, a warm synth pad, or strings; and the keyboard we use now stops the sound as I switch patches.

What I would really like is for the ability to hold the sustain pedal on one patch and switch to another patch without the first one stopping until I let go of the sustain.

The two keyboards I have been reading about on this board that have really interested me are the Kawai ES7 and Roland FP7F. So I was wondering if these keyboards would function in the way I would want.

Any other keyboard suggestions are welcome. Speakers on the board are a plus, but not a priority.

Thank you very much.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Tyruke, the ES7 should not truncate/cut-off sounds when changing instruments. However, there may be slight alterations in tonal character if the patches use different reverb or effect presets.

For example, if the 'Concert Grand' sound is selected (typically with just 'Room' reverb, but no additional effects) and you press and hold a key, then select the 'Classic E.P.' sound (which may have tremolo and amp simulator effects applied, depending on the patch settings), there may be a noticeable change to the acoustic piano sound (due to the additional E.P. effects kicking in). However, the acoustic piano sound itself will not be truncated/cut-off.

As always, I strongly recommend that you play-test any instruments you are considering extensively (testing specific scenarios such as that described above) before making a purchasing decision.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
Hmm... I think I understand what you are saying.

Do you think the ES7 would be on display at the NAMM show this month?

I go to the show every year and I think I'm going to take your advice on trying out keyboards to make sure they can accommodate my needs. And what better place to do that than a music product convention? ( I can't believe I didn't think of this prior to my own post... lol )

I don't usually search out for Kawai's area, but if I'm able to try an ES7 I think I will.

Online Content
Hello Tyruke,

Originally Posted by Tyruke
Do you think the ES7 would be on display at the NAMM show this month?

Yes, Kawai America will be exhibiting the ES7, along with most other digital models.

If you have the opportunity to visit NAMM, I cannot think of a better place to try out a wide range of instruments all under one roof.

Cheers,
James
x

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
James, do you fly in and represent Kawai for NAMM?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
Online Content
Dave, I'd absolutely love to attend NAMM, however places are very limited, and I'm pretty busy with work here at the head office.

Not to worry though - my colleagues at Kawai America always do an excellent job of representing the company and answering queries etc.,

Cheers,
James
x

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
I currently play piano in my church, and am looking for a new keyboard that has a seamless transition between patches. Many times during a service I'll need to switch between an acoustic piano sound, an electric piano sound, a warm synth pad, or strings; and the keyboard we use now stops the sound as I switch patches.

What I would really like is for the ability to hold the sustain pedal on one patch and switch to another patch without the first one stopping until I let go of the sustain.

What keyboard are you using now? In general, Rolands and Kurzweils have this feature. Korg has it in the Kronos. Some keyboards have it but only if you operate them in a certain mode (Yamaha Motif/MOX/MX are examples, I believe, also possibly some Korgs). At least some Casios have had it.

As James explained, there are also cases where it "kind of" works... the feature is there, but you'll hear an audible glitch as the fx change between the patch you're coming from and the patch you're switching to. So in some cases, it may work smoothly between some patches but not others. However, often, this can be addressed by editing the sounds to remove the fx (they may not be crucial to your use of the sound), and saving those versions of the sounds. Switching between those versions of the sounds that don't have the fx can then be seamless. But not every piano permits you to store fx-disabled versions of their sounds.

Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by anotherscott

What keyboard are you using now? In general, Rolands and Kurzweils have this feature. Korg has it in the Kronos. Some keyboards have it but only if you operate them in a certain mode (Yamaha Motif/MOX/MX are examples, I believe, also possibly some Korgs). At least some Casios have had it.

The keyboard I use now is a Yamaha P-95. When switching between acoustic piano and electric piano there is no hiccup, but when I switch to a string patch the sound stops completely. Also, the P-95 does not have a warm synth pad sound which is sound our worship leader loves very much. The piano sound also leaves much to be desired, so I figured an upgrade was in order.

I did try a few keyboards at a guitar center a while back, and many of them had some sort of performance mode that allowed me to load up four sounds at once and adjust there volumes with the four faders on the keyboard. I thought this would help, but I noticed an issue for me. If I loaded up a piano, electric piano, strings, and pad all at once the polyphony is being used up by all four patches.

So let's say I need to play a song that's only piano. Even though the other three faders for the other patches are turned down, they are still technically being played and therefore eating away at my polyphony. What happened when I tried playing the piano was that many notes kept getting cut off because the polyphony was being used up. I don't remember all the keyboards I tried that worked like this, but it wasn't what I needed.

I did see a video of Jordan Rudess demoing the Korg Kronos and he did mention and demonstrate that the Kronos had seamless patch transitions, which is exactly what I was looking for. However, I wonder if a workstation like that is overkill when I would really only be using about four sounds.

Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
I just checked out NAMM today and had a chance to play a lot of keyboards. I was pleased to find out that the Kawai ES7 did exactly what I wanted in regard to switching patches. The only issue I had was I couldn't figure out how to make the sustain work on the string patches. Otherwise it sounded beautiful.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I just checked out NAMM today and had a chance to play a lot of keyboards. I was pleased to find out that the Kawai ES7 did exactly what I wanted in regard to switching patches. The only issue I had was I couldn't figure out how to make the sustain work on the string patches. Otherwise it sounded beautiful.

Could you explain what difficulty you had with string patches sustaining ?

I tried it on my ES7 and it worked as I would have expected.

It might be a little less noticeable with strings as they tend to linger anyway.

However, I did notice they stayed longer with the sustain pedal depressed than without.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Tyruke Offline OP
OP Offline
Well normally when I play string patches on other digital pianos, when I step on the sustain pedal the sound continues indefinitely until I let go.

On the string pad and warm string sound it didn't do that.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well normally when I play string patches on other digital pianos, when I step on the sustain pedal the sound continues indefinitely until I let go.

On the string pad and warm string sound it didn't do that.

You may wish to check that further.

I have never experienced that type of behavior on a dp.

Of course, I have really never attempted to sustain a tone indefinitely with only the sustain pedal pressed while releasing the keys.

None of the patches on the ES7 work that way. I tried them all.

The sustain pedal allows the tone to decay naturally instead of being dampened by the damper(s).

As far as I know, that is how they all work because that is the way an acoustic piano works.

But, as always ... I might be wrong.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Online Content
Tyruke/dmd, this behaviour can be adjusted in the ES7's 'Basic Settings' menu.

From page 80 of the owner's manual:

[Linked Image]

Cheers,
James
x

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Tyruke/dmd, this behaviour can be adjusted in the ES7's 'Basic Settings' menu.

Well, there you go.

Just in the nick of time, I might add.

I was afraid this day was going to get away without me learning something new smile

Tyruke: I checked it out and it absolutely does work.

Don

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission