2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,723 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B
It could be because I'm slow to catch on but I've just realised that when we buy a Digital Piano it likely to be superseded by an upgraded model within a couple of years, making the piano you bought virtually obsolete, and with a diminished resale value, on the other hand if we had bought a "good quality" Acoustic piano it's likely to be good for a lifetime, therefore, in the long run, the seemingly lower cost of the Digital Piano would be absorbed by having to buy a replacement every few years.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes and no. I good digital should still last you at least a decade and possibly more. Really the technology isn't advancing enough to make a newly purchased DP immediately obsolete.

But yes, the resale value seems to depreciate rapidly.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You might keep your acoustic piano much longer but they depreciate and they do not sell that easily except for a few brands; most notably Steinway.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Just because most people in this forum are 'serial upgraders' (and looking at the NAMM every 6 months for the latest gear to upgrade to), doesn't mean you have to do the same. Buy a DP as you would an acoustic with the intention of keeping it for life, meaning that you probably have to spend more than you intended (just like most people buying acoustics end up spending more than they budgeted for......), know what you want - is it a pure acoustic piano substitute? - or do you want fun stuff on it?; and look at as many as possible, play every DP on your shortlist with your own headphones several times, pay repeat visits to the stores where your favorite ones are, until you are happy that the one you eventually want to buy is one you'll keep for life. (Don't think in terms of resale - you'll just end up with something you won't necessarily be happy with in the long term.)

That's what I did 3 years ago, and I'm even more happy with my purchase now than ever. My decision is also vindicated by the fact that there's been no replacement or equivalent for it, 3 years on.

If music be the food of love, play on!
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
DPs have come a long way since my yamaha p60.. if anything the newest models offer many more features, in light of that fact any purchase you make today will hold you over for many years to come.. for me I'm concentrating on finding an acoustic piano, and will use
my digital for silent practice....

K
K
Resale value is just one factor in considering digital vs. acoustic. Even with this legitimate argument, digital pianos today are more popular, and out-sells the acoustic ones (I verified it with at least two dealers in my area). I think one clear advantage is the versatility. Silent practice for privacy, mixing options with other sound sources (computer/iPad/iPhone/sound modules), and various software inter-operation through MIDI or USB. These are the true values that are made possible just in this decade. You can bet several more folds of such values on the horizon in the coming decade. That is also back to your valid point that one has to "upgrade" to receive those new values. But you will get none of these from a conventional acoustic piano.

Last edited by SIG77; 01/25/13 04:57 PM.

Bosendorfer 185CS, Roland FP-7F, Yamaha PSR530
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bluebilly
It could be because I'm slow to catch on but I've just realised that when we buy a Digital Piano it likely to be superseded by an upgraded model within a couple of years, making the piano you bought virtually obsolete, and with a diminished resale value, on the other hand if we had bought a "good quality" Acoustic piano it's likely to be good for a lifetime, therefore, in the long run, the seemingly lower cost of the Digital Piano would be absorbed by having to buy a replacement every few years.

Have you factored in all the tunings, adjustments, and action maintenance?

I would have my C3 tuned up six times a year but I had a really good deal with a friend who tuned.

You don't buy either an acoustic or a digital for an investment. You buy because it's what you want and you sell it when you want something new, better, or different.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
It`s funny some need tunin up so regularly, and others don`t. Could be the piano, or the envirenment I guess.

Yamah have built in a couple of out of tune notes into my digital. So it sounds just like the real thing . . I`m finding it quite liberating . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
bluebilly: I cannot agree with what you said.

"... when we buy a Digital Piano it likely to be superseded by an upgraded model within a couple of years ..."
Digital pianos are seldom superseded. There have been only a couple of true improvement in the last decade. Progress is painfully slow.

" ... on the other hand if we had bought a good quality acoustic piano it's likely to be good for a lifetime ..."
Except for the top-tiers, a piano has a lifespan of 30 to 40 years, often less. That might well be most of a person's lifetime. But during those years the piano will need $200-$300 in tunings each year (at today's prices ... surely more in the future). Not to mention regulation now and then, some voicing, etc. Over the years you'll spend somewhere near $10,000 on maintenance, in addition to the $5,000 or $10,000 for an upright (more for even a modest grand). That's would buy quite a few digital pianos.

And at the end of a few decades the piano will likely need extensive restoration. Unrestored, its value is likely to be nearly nothing. You might even need to pay to have it hauled as scrap. A proper restoration job will likely cost more than the piano's restored value.

" ... in the long run the seemingly lower cost of the digital piano would be absorbed by having to buy a replacement every few years."
Some people may wish to replace their piano as often as they change their hair style. But some do not. My piano is nearly five years old. I intend to keep it for another twenty years, or as long as the keyboard lasts. (Or as long as my hands, eyes, and brain last.)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
It`s funny some need tunin up so regularly, and others don`t. Could be the piano, or the envirenment I guess.

Yamah have built in a couple of out of tune notes into my digital. So it sounds just like the real thing . . I`m finding it quite liberating . . .

A piano that gets played a lot will go out of tune ... a lot.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Another advantage to a nice acoustic is that you can dolly it in front of the door so they can't get to you. smile

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
P
I need to say I feel pretty much convinced by acoustic piano apologists.
I am considering buying one for the backyard (that is only available space for it :))

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rnaple
Another advantage to a nice acoustic is that you can dolly it in front of the door so they can't get to you. smile

:-o

Now I remember what I missed about Pianoworld.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
theJourney, we haven't seen you 'round these parts for a while.

How's it going ...

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Great. Playing piano more and talking about it less. Just checked in to see if Namm news worth following... if the vpc1 were priced around 1000 euro I might be tempted...but more interested in the GX...my beloved RX is ready for its 10 year regulation.

How is life in the South? That N3 of yours still pleasing?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yea, I'm still happy with the N3. I played a NU1 a few weeks ago and am thinking about buying one. I found it more difficult to play than the N3 which I like.

"A piano that gets played a lot will go out of tune ... a lot."

The only reason I can think of for that, is the tension in the strings is too near the elastic limit . . . .Lower the tone, man. You know it makes sense!

And then ya get to play "Fantasie Impromtu" in D . . . . .

Last edited by peterws; 01/26/13 09:33 AM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Z
Z
Originally Posted by peterws

could be ears as well...

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
That assumes you want to sell it.

And forgets maintenance of the AP.

Plus the fact that DPs tend to be a fair bit cheaper.

Casios uber offering is the PX850 followed shortly by the PX5, game changer. These babies sell for £800 in the UK.

A decent new AP will be at least £3000. A decent second hander £1000 at the least.

Plus every 6 months is a retune cost.

DPs are catching up in leaps and bounds! People on here complained of short decay... Mike Martin scribbled notes and the AIR chip nearly doubles the sustain. Still a tad short but what of the AIR 2 chip or the sucessor?

Of course it is different strokes for different folks, but right now I quite like layering sounds. Something impossible on an AP

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
painfully slow.

I think it is deliberate incremental technology improvements.

Like Apple phones. The tech improvements were incremental so they could get people to buy all the increments and more profits.

I am reasonably certain Mike could go to his techs and make a DP which is superior to anything an AP can produce. Except it'll be expensive.

When components get cheaper it can built down to a price point where they can build in large quantities and still make a profit out of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission