2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Thanks Mike, its a pet peeve of mine with my PX-330 the labels are unreadable in a dark room / stage.
This looks like the top labels will be easily readable.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JFP
Casio doesn't seem to care and due to the low price they will indeed sell anyway; but would it do any harm to have someone with a good eye and sense for classy design details have a say in the product development at Casio ? I doubt it would make these products much more expensive.

Normally I'd agree with you but style people are on a rampage lately. They take perfectly designed and functional items like garden shears, toothbrushes, sneakers, etc. and make them look like they came from mars while often removing essential features.

M
M
Can anybody explain the differences between a regular sequencer, and the 8 track/1000 phrase jobbie that this one has?

Marvin,
While the Phrase sequencer on the PX-5S could be used to built entire songs, the PX-5S isn't really a workstation. Phrases on the PX-5S can be triggered LIVE from the keyboard. It could be riff or pattern of any kind that you can assign a key or range of keys. The phrase will transpose within the specified range as well.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
I'll be adding sounds to the list here:

https://soundcloud.com/casiomusicgear/sets/privia-pro-px-5s

Note that we had the key-release sound on the rhodes sound turned up really high for demo purposes, but it is too loud in this recording. You'll be able to adjust this yourself.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
M
M
Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. smile

Btw, that clav-wah sound is deadly! Wow!

Last edited by Marvin Eight; 01/29/13 01:59 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
Does the PX-5S have synth sounds like the XW-P1 or is the synth sound strictly limited to the Hex layer?

Originally Posted by galaxy4t
Mike,
Does the PX-5S have synth sounds like the XW-P1 or is the synth sound strictly limited to the Hex layer?

It does not have the monophonic solo synth. The hex layer mode is similar in name only. Is a completely different animal on the PX-5S. There is also dramatic control over any of the regular tones, much more so than XW.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
Guys, the unit we had at NAMM was not final

Scrap the two tone plastic toy look ....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
The color isn't going to change at this point.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Mike,
Does that mean that it has synth patches like the PX-350. Can you load new sounds into it or are you only able to edit the onboard sounds? Will there be firmware updates that will enhance this product?

Last edited by galaxy4t; 01/29/13 10:11 PM.
A suggestion, can you make the LCD bigger? seems like the LCD is small (it won't even display "grand piano concert" fully). see how the LCD has giant bezel around it, it could stand the LCD could use some biggining, perhaps on the PX-6S?

[Linked Image]

Casio Privia PX-150

Mike,
Does that mean that it has synth patches like the PX-350. Can you load new sounds into it or are you only able to edit the onboard sounds? Will there be firmware updates that will enhance this product?

It has individual synth patches with full editing and insert effects. You change the sound of everything. Each category of sound has user banks. Firmware updates are possible but not guaranteed.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by adak
the LCD could use some biggining, perhaps on the PX-6S?

As long as we're talking about fundamental design changes for a future model, I'd like to get away from those thin rectangular buttons. Or at the very least, create more empty space between them. When two buttons practically butt up against each other, it makes it much harder to do things by feel, and much easier to accidentally hit an adjacent button. The buttons on older models like the PX-310 were much nicer to use.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Mike,

It has individual synth patches with full editing and insert effects. You change the sound of everything. Each category of sound has user banks. Firmware updates are possible but not guaranteed.

Mike,

Does this mean that you will not be able to load new sounds or share user sounds? Watching you in one of the videos I thought you described that you would be able to load new sounds and that Casio would have sound libraries at some point. (It is all a blur, reading comments and watching videos, so I could be confused. It would take a lot of time to study everything I have read to find references to post confused ).

Yes you'll be able to load and share custom patches.

-Mike Martin
Casio America

Casio Music Forums
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by adak
A suggestion, can you make the LCD bigger? seems like the LCD is small (it won't even display "grand piano concert" fully).

You don't need a larger display to fit a title. You only need one if the content is illegible. The name is not as important as familiarity with its sound. They could use shorter names like Piano1, Piano2, and so on. They could make a chart for the manual defining what each name is: Piano1 = Grand Piano Concert

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The display size might become less of an issue given that some of the NAMM videos showed the PX5S can have its patches controlled via an ipad. One assumes that there could be more detail on the ipad screen about the various patches and settings.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D

Then fire the nutcases responsible and move onto the PX-6

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Dr Popper

Then fire the nutcases responsible and move onto the PX-6

It's possible that you are too attached to the piano motif. The PX5S is not a digital piano. It is breed of synthesizer with weighted keys. Look at the diversity of models in synthesizers past and present, including Casio, Oberhiem, E-mu systems, Moog, Farfisa, Arp, Korg, Sequential Circuits, Roland, Kurzweil, Alesis, Yamaha, etc. in the world of synthesizers the PX5S is beautiful. I suspect that you are mesmerized by UDS, ugly duckling syndrome. The PX5S is not a duck. It is a swan. smile

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission