2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2018832 01/22/13 07:51 AM
M
OP Offline
M
Hi

I have a Yamaha P155 digital stage piano hooked up to a Mac using Galaxy's vintage D as a plugin inside Kontakt 4, running through GarageBand. I'm recording a solo piano album but finding it very difficult to record with expressive playing. I know everything can be edited in GB using it's features like velocity, pitch, tempo and automation points etc, but the trouble is actually trying to record the piece with the best possible take.

I find I'm having to record the same part several times before getting even close to the best recording. Is there an easier way around this ? maybe using another app which could help in solving this, example, how do the pros do it.

Last edited by musicmad; 01/22/13 08:21 AM.

Without music life would be a mistake.
K
K
I think you should post this on the Digital Pianos forum.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by "expressive playing?"

I don't think it's an equipment problem. As long as your hardware is strong enough to keep the latency down, the recording process should be pretty effortless.

The keyboard could be an issue. P155s are pretty good as stage pianos go, but for solo work, they don't quite have the feel a real piano action would have. For that, assuming you want to stick with an electronic sound source, a Disklavier or Avant-Grand would be the way to go.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the feedback. I've realized it's a case of two things, key weight on the P 155 is heavy making it difficult to perform expressive playing therefor not getting the desired take after many recordings. Also being a perfectionist doesn't help.

Out of interest why is it recommended when recording piano to play the piece right through from beginning to end, then choosing the best take from those recordings, as opposed to recording a section at a time for the best take.

Last edited by musicmad; 01/23/13 10:21 AM.

B
B
Originally Posted by musicmad

Out of interest why is it recommended when recording piano to play the piece right through from beginning to end, then choosing the best take from those recordings, as opposed to recording a section at a time for the best take.

If you're talking classical music, what you do in the beginning and middle influences what you do at the end: it's all of a piece and there's rarely anywhere you can make a full stop: often even the exposition leads on to the development and the recapitulation (plus coda) without a break. Unlike pop and other kinds of music, where things are often added post-recording anyway - I believe the term is 'layering' (frequently mentioned in the DP forum). Recording sections at a time, then joining them up makes for a disjointed performance in a classical piece, unless other practicalities come into play, like if the piece is non-stop for 25 minutes.

I believe many classical pianists like to play complete movements several times through, then choose the best take, and splice into it any corrections required from other takes if there are wrong notes etc, to go into the finished recording.

If music be the food of love, play on!
M
OP Offline
M
Much noted, thanks for all the help.

F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by bennevis
Recording sections at a time, then joining them up makes for a disjointed performance in a classical piece, unless other practicalities come into play, like if the piece is non-stop for 25 minutes.

I'm intrigued and perhaps a bit baffled by this last little bit...sorry but, wouldn't it be *more* important to have a single take in a longer piece? I don't mean to be controversial laugh Just...I've never thought about it and I'd love to know if you could explain even a myopic amount about...well..it laugh
Xx

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
B
B
Originally Posted by FSO
Originally Posted by bennevis
Recording sections at a time, then joining them up makes for a disjointed performance in a classical piece, unless other practicalities come into play, like if the piece is non-stop for 25 minutes.

I'm intrigued and perhaps a bit baffled by this last little bit...sorry but, wouldn't it be *more* important to have a single take in a longer piece? I don't mean to be controversial laugh Just...I've never thought about it and I'd love to know if you could explain even a myopic amount about...well..it laugh
Xx

I was thinking in terms of Schubert's D960 (1) with exposition repeat. I'd guess that most pianists recording it would play it complete just once, then some short sections if it needed patching in one or two places, because it's very difficult to maintain the mental and physical concentration to repeat such a long movement several times just to get material for a few edits. On the other hand, the same pianist could probably play the complete Scherzo of the same Sonata (lasting about four minutes) a few times without any trouble just to get a few seconds' worth of material for editing purposes, rather than just a few bars here and there.

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Ah! Very, very much clearer now, thank you laugh I was thinking all wrong; to me each performance is so unique that it strikes me as impossible that one would be able to convincingly slide in a new take (which is silly of me in the first place) of a short section fresh off the block; that a smaller piece would be easier to do this with because...um...don't judge me, I was being very cotton-headed, but because they're shorter they'll require less relative continuity... smirk Um...thank you for clearing away the fog!
<3

Sometimes, we all just need to be shown a little kindness <3
B
B
I don't think it's an equipment problem. As long as your hardware is strong enough to keep the latency down, the recording process should be pretty effortless.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission