2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, 4 invisible), 1,288 guests, and 287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
AKA Eine Kleine Nachtmusik.

But we always called it Nine O'Clock Music.

Haha...get it now...it is Nine O'Clock Music!!

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It always amuses me how people get about their time slot. If you ever ask them to move for some reason there is just no way it's happening. But then when they miss a lesson and want a make up they can suddenly come anytime haha!

Pianist and piano teacher.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I do not want to take advantage of this good virtue.

True! I think you have your answer - they are choosing to wait for 2 years, piano isn't "that" important to them, "winning" a time slot is important to them.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
There are no other teachers who can do the slot she wants?

Either way, if your timeables don't match, you can't take her on. Maybe the slot will become available, maybe it won't, maybe she'll find another teacher, maybe the family is too busy for piano anyway.

I'm just bowled over you have students that will get up for 7am on a Saturday.

B
B
Originally Posted by Chris H.
It always amuses me how people get about their time slot. If you ever ask them to move for some reason there is just no way it's happening. But then when they miss a lesson and want a make up they can suddenly come anytime haha!

^^This^^

laugh

B
B
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Me too! I didn't even realise there was such a time as 7am on Saturday wink

B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Yes folks, Saturdays at 7am
That is why I started a thread a while ago that if I should raise my rate for Saturdays.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I've always done Saturday mornings but only start at 9am. Well almost....my first ones are always ten to fifteen minutes early. Recently I did try to clear Saturday until someone contacted me with three kids who could only do Saturday!

Pianist and piano teacher.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally Posted by ezpiano.org

For three years he never asked to move his time to a later one. So, I assume that he likes his 9am slot. I could ask if he wants to move, but do you know that mostly Asian parents like to please teachers, they will say yes even if they do not like it. I do not want to take advantage of this good virtue.

That's a valid concern. Here's one way you could go about it: Tell your current student that you now have two time slots open, 9:00 or 11:00, and he can have his choice. If he says he'd prefer 11, you can take on the new (demanding) student. If he says he'd rather keep his current schedule, you can safely turn down the new (demanding) student and breathe a sigh of relief that you dodged a bullet.

I'm thinking the new student will be high maintenance, so I'd advise not trying to accommodate him.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Me too! I didn't even realise there was such a time as 7am on Saturday wink

Same here! I never wake up early on weekends unless there's some piano competition or CM thing that I must do. 7 AM is an ungodly hour for lessons. My neighbors will call the cops on me.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Heck, I'd just put the family on the waiting list, and then forget about it. You never know about the family currently occupying the slot -- they may suddenly have a time conflict, and then you'll have a ready student to fill in.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I agree with what Monica and John said.

However, I am curious about when the child would practice. If the weekly schedule has only a single hour open for lessons, then when is there space in the weekly schedule for practice?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ann in Kentucky
However, I am curious about when the child would practice. If the weekly schedule has only a single hour open for lessons, then when is there space in the weekly schedule for practice?

Of course I'm just conjecturing, but it sounds like this parent wants piano lessons at the least busy time of the week, so they can have the rest of the weekend to do other stuff. Not very many events are planned on Saturday mornings around here, except for soccer matches and swim meets.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

What bothers me is that this mother is willing to wait years before her child gets piano lessons.

Time's a-wasting, lady...get another teacher...start the kid on lessons!

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I was thinking over, just yesterday, the small danger signs that I had let go by, early in certain relationships.

Turns out, I should have paid more attention; the signs were right there. And I say the same for this prospective student's parent. I have found the comments interesting and worthwhile, but since you say you see the potential for trouble yourself, I think you have also seen the answer for yourself.

Clef

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I’m going to bet my bottom dollar that Mummy Dear
(Two-ton Tessie) can’t play the flipping piano and would prove a feckless frump in monitoring her progeny’s daily piano homework ... probably wants the 9am slot to avoid cancelling a mid-morning bridge session.

These ambitious Mater’s ooze a heady confidence that they have spawned another Mozart ... (don’t they all?)

It would appear that most of the seasoned Piano teachers subscribe to the OP’s 3rd alternative ... don’t touch with a barge-pole.

M
M
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
I was thinking over, just yesterday, the small danger signs that I had let go by, early in certain relationships.

Turns out, I should have paid more attention; the signs were right there. And I say the same for this prospective student's parent. I have found the comments interesting and worthwhile, but since you say you see the potential for trouble yourself, I think you have also seen the answer for yourself.

I agree with this - listen to your gut feeling on this one. It raises a red flag in my book anyways.

Also, I would not ask the current student if they wanted 9 am or 11 am, because it still implies that you want them to take this other time, or you wouldn't offer. If the mom wants to wait years, let her wait. I would also give her a list of other teachers in the area to contact in the meantime that may have that time available.

Last edited by Morodiene; 01/25/13 10:16 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
bzpiano Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Also, I would not ask the current student if they wanted 9 am or 11 am, because it still implies that you want them to take this other time, or you wouldn't offer.

Agree with you.

I decide not to take this new mom. Any suggestion how to write an email? Do I need to explain why I cannot take her? Not now, not in two years?

Last edited by ezpiano.org; 01/25/13 12:30 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sometimes the best way to interact is not to think too much into other people's mind, but to take what they say as what they mean. Just put the family on your waiting list. If you have the spot open up in one month, or in three years, give them a call. If they are still interested, sign them up. If they have already moved on, you can call the next person on the waiting list. You have no information about what this family is like and how the student will practice and how busy they will be. No speculation is better than another speculation.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Dear Family, As we discussed I do not have a Saturday 9:00am lesson available. If you are not open to any of the options I discussed with you, you are welcome to call back next fall to see if I have an opening for that time slot. Kind regards, Piano Teacher.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission