2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 35 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 34 35
voxpops #2020447 01/24/13 04:12 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by voxpops
Originally Posted by Providence
Why would you prefer the MP10 as a midi controller if this is 680 euros cheaper and offers a premium piano action? Or do you prefer to have built in piano sounds?

Yes, I prefer to have access to built-ins as well as the option to add VSTs.

Is there much difference between the MP10's action and this one?

The MP10 has an "RM3 Grand action with let off". The VPC has RM3 Grand 2 wooden key action which I am assuming is at least on par if not superior to that of the MP10 (I am open to correction here). Previously, if I wanted to have a slab style dp to control VST instruments with the RM3 action I would have had to have shelled out 2080 in Europe (Thomann price) for the MP10. Now I can have it for around 1,400 euros without the bells and whistles of the MP10. Is this not what people h ave been screaming for?

davinwv #2020448 01/24/13 04:12 PM
H
H
Well, I don't know what the VPC will cost in Europe yet, so it's difficult for me to judge the pricing.
But I sure do feel better about my recent CA95 purchase now. Even if the VPC had been out back then, I suppose I would have wanted to go for the GF action anyways.

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
davinwv #2020454 01/24/13 04:15 PM
K
Kos Offline
K
Missed the triple-sensor part in the description, sorry.
Still, the price is kinda high...

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
davinwv #2020455 01/24/13 04:15 PM
P
P
I am calculating the euro price from the dollar price using the current exchange rate but on second thoughts this might not make sense

Providence #2020461 01/24/13 04:18 PM
H
H
Why would you prefer the MP10 as a midi controller if this is 680 euros cheaper and offers a premium piano action? Or do you prefer to have built in piano sounds?

Providence my point about the MP10 was about its weight when compared to the new VPC. I'll be using my MP6 which did cost considerably less, does have additional piano sounds, gets rave reviews about its action (RH1 with letoff), and will sound great with any of these software programs. Actually the MP10 weighs in at 70 pounds, so weight wise the new VPC and the MP10 would be comparable (both have the same action - RM3 Grand with let off). If all I ever intended to play was virtual pianos, and I planned to keep the board in my studio, then yes, I would buy it. It looks lovely. I love Kawai products, because of the keyboard action. If you already owned a Kawai digital with great action, that worked just fine as a midi-controller, would you buy the VPC?
I had hoped that at least at $1,900 dollars for a board that's not a digital piano and has no onboard speakers, the VPC would at least include software.
The total for these four VST's is roughly $900.00. I would guess that for $1100 they could have produced a board with good action; after all; you can buy the MP6 wholesale for $1200. I already have the best of both worlds, a great DP, and a great VPC for $700.00 less than the new VPC. smile

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
Kos #2020465 01/24/13 04:20 PM
K
K
Originally Posted by Kos
Yeah, that's a letdown alright. RM3? Come on...
And 1850 dollars? 300 more buys you CA13 with the same RM3 keyboard, rock solid stand, and some internal voices in case your computer breakes down.

I hear you, Kos! I was really hoping for the GF action in this package, but alas frown ....perhaps the successor to the MP10 (if it ever comes to fruition) will have the new GF action. Needless to say, I won't be parting with my Roland FP-7F anytime soon!

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
davinwv #2020468 01/24/13 04:20 PM
H
H
And I almost sold my newly bought CA95. Approved touch curve? That's just plain funny:-)

davinwv #2020477 01/24/13 04:27 PM
T
T
I think that is filling a much needed niche. RM3-II action in a controller! That's sweet for home/studio use IMO.

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
davinwv #2020479 01/24/13 04:29 PM
F
F
Ah, hype and expectation always come back to bite you.

I haven't been following any of the hype and just took a look at the link above. I think it looks great. I'd certainly be interested... reading around and it seems velocity curves are a bit of a black art, keen to hear how this performs.

Price tag does seem high considering you need to already have your own vst/laptop/speakers setup..

Cool concept, and always impressed more and more with the way Kawai seem to be pushing tech compared to competitors.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
HisKidd #2020483 01/24/13 04:31 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by HisKidd

Providence my point about the MP10 was about its weight when compared to the new VPC. I'll be using my MP6 which did cost considerably less, does have additional piano sounds, gets rave reviews about its action (RH1 with letoff), and will sound great with any of these software programs. Actually the MP10 weighs in at 70 pounds, so weight wise the new VPC and the MP10 would be comparable (both have the same action - RM3 Grand with let off). If all I ever intended to play was virtual pianos, and I planned to keep the board in my studio, then yes, I would buy it. It looks lovely. I love Kawai products, because of the keyboard action. If you already owned a Kawai digital with great action, that worked just fine as a midi-controller, would you buy the VPC?
I had hoped that at least at $1,900 dollars for a board that's not a digital piano and has no onboard speakers, the VPC would at least include software.
The total for these four VST's is roughly $900.00. I would guess that for $1100 they could have produced a board with good action; after all; you can buy the MP6 wholesale for $1200. I already have the best of both worlds, a great DP, and a great VPC for $700.00 less than the new VPC. smile

Hi HisKidd,
You are approaching this from the angle of someone who already owns a DP with a premium kawai action (MP6). Think of all of those who are looking for a board purely to control VST instruments but could not justify paying the premium for the extra bells and whistles the MP10 had. Have prayers not been answered?

davinwv #2020491 01/24/13 04:42 PM
N
N
Dollar prices are always without VAT/sales tax!

Euro prices always include VAT/sales tax of the respective country.

$1850 might be Eur 1400 but this doesn't include tax. Including tax (I used 19%) the suggested retail price is Eur 1650 maybe higher if the EU has import taxes/duties on musical instruments.

The MSRP of the MP10 is Eur 2350 in the EU. So the VPC is about Eur 700 less for the same slightly improved action but nothing else.

You might get this for street price of Eur 1400, which makes it somewhat of a bargain if your looking for exactly that.

Providence #2020495 01/24/13 04:44 PM
H
H

Hi HisKidd,
You are approaching this from the angle of someone who already owns a DP with a premium kawai action (MP6). Think of all of those who are looking for a board purely to control VST instruments but could not justify paying the premium for the extra bells and whistles the MP10 had. Have prayers not been answered?

Providence your point is well made, and; if I were in the situation you are describing, yes I'd spring for the latest action on the VPC. I suppose my great disappointment is that this board does not include the software for which it is advertising: "approved touch curve." The teasers stated: "Finally, a virtual piano controller that plays out of the box." I made the mistake of reading more into that than I should have. If I were starting all over again, I suppose the combination of the VST software and the EP3 would provide a great virtual piano, gigging friendly setup, at approximately the same price point as the new VPC. It's my belief that all Kawai digitals have great keyboard action.

Keyboards are the best therapy I know of...
davinwv #2020502 01/24/13 04:52 PM
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For all those expecting GF action; I understood it would add considerably to the size and weight of this instrument. RM3 with the addition of the third sensor is therefore a logical step. Of course this will somehow trickle down (up) in the MP10 successor , which now becomes one of the few Kawai's that still misses the 3rd sensor. For the rest it's a nice board and certainly interesting for all of us who can do without the Kawai build-in sounds, but want a very good action in a nice no-nonsense design .

However, in the end it all very much depends on the street price how competitive the VPC is - I wonder what it will cost in Europe !

davinwv #2020505 01/24/13 04:54 PM
K
Kos Offline
K
I wonder if Kawai will be selling a matching stand as an accessory...

"There is nothing to piano playing besides producing the appropriate velocities on the appropriate keys at the appropriate time" (c) qvfarns
HisKidd #2020506 01/24/13 04:56 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by HisKidd

Hi HisKidd,

Providence your point is well made, and; if I were in the situation you are describing, yes I'd spring for the latest action on the VPC. I suppose my great disappointment is that this board does not include the software for which it is advertising: "approved touch curve." The teasers stated: "Finally, a virtual piano controller that plays out of the box." I made the mistake of reading more into that than I should have. If I were starting all over again, I suppose the combination of the VST software and the EP3 would provide a great virtual piano, gigging friendly setup, at approximately the same price point as the new VPC. It's my belief that all Kawai digitals have great keyboard action.

Hi HisKidd,
I understand your disappointment based on expectations. I guess all I was really hoping for was a reliable alternative to the Numa Nero which I read many mixed reviews about. Also, I personally really like the RM3 Grand action so this controller is what I have been waiting for. If I had the MP6 I would not buy the VPC....

thercman #2020525 01/24/13 05:18 PM
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by thercman
I think that is filling a much needed niche. RM3-II action in a controller! That's sweet for home/studio use IMO.

This! At the right price.

davinwv #2020536 01/24/13 05:23 PM
D
D
As an MP10 owner I have no real interest in this, but I would say that if this was an option when I got my MP10 I would have thought long and hard about it and might very well have gone with the VPC.

I think it fills its niche quite nicely, it's a piano controller with an excellent Kawai action for those who will only use software pianos and don't want to spend $600 or so on the MP10's built-in sounds.

Playing since April 2010.
Kawai MP10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by floydthebarber71

Cool concept, and always impressed more and more with the way Kawai seem to be pushing tech compared to competitors.

Not sure I understand. I think all competitors are pushing the tech forward, just in different ways. In this particular case with the VPC1, I would like to give kudos to Kawai for bringing out a piano that is more about what customers have been asking for rather than pushing the pianos to the next level. I am a huge Roland fan myself but that does not mean I am looking down at Kawai and/or Yamaha. In fact, I like the Kawai wooden actions and Yamaha NU-1 is an amazing instrument.

Last edited by Amaruk; 01/24/13 05:26 PM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
Deffie #2020547 01/24/13 05:30 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Deffie
As an MP10 owner I have no real interest in this, but I would say that if this was an option when I got my MP10 I would have thought long and hard about it and might very well have gone with the VPC.

I think it fills its niche quite nicely, it's a piano controller with an excellent Kawai action for those who will only use software pianos and don't want to spend $600 or so on the MP10's built-in sounds.

+1

davinwv #2020548 01/24/13 05:31 PM
H
H
While there may be some disappointment about the VPC not including the software libraries for which it now only got the approved touch curves, I imagine the outrage would be much greater if it actually did, and the price would be even higher.
Because all those people who already owned any amount of the software packages surely would not want to pay twice for it, just to get the controller.

Just look at the True Keys thread, several people are only interested in individual pianos of the suite and don't want to pay the bundle price for other pianos they might not use (which for sure is a reasonable desire). Now imagine people would be forced to buy four whole software libraries which they might already own, or of which they might just want to own one, or even none.
So to me it only makes sense for Kawai to sell the controller alone, and the addition of touch curves is a nice bonus.

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
Page 14 of 35 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 34 35

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission