2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I thought Doelkees was being sarcastic. That piano is not in tune at all.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by DoelKees
rxd, maybe it also has something to do with the 2 glasses of absinthe I had before listening. Now in the morning it does not sound so good anymore. Also I don't call what they do music, it's more a race to play as many notes as fast and loud as possible, so the tuning doesn't matter. Do you recall the Chopin nocturne and the bar song from the movie "Tombstone"? Exquisitely beautiful in that tuning.

Kees

Saving face is one thing. Going on to attack two little girls giving a concert is another. It Just looks like peevishness.

Didn't you ever give a concert when you were a little girl?

Your reply lends credence to another suspicion of mine, that being the state of sobriety of many posters. The pitiful long and short term effects of absinthe are well known, I'm amazed anybody still uses it.

Going online under its influence also could make it look like you might have been drinking alone.

Let's put it down to that and leave it there, thus disproving one more adage; absinthe does not make the heart grow fonder.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
rxd, I'll go to church when I need a sermon, thank you very much.
Kees

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Doubtful it is genuine wormwood rxd, mostly likely the product artesium absinthium. Genuine absinthe causes neurological disorders and seizures etc.

Interestingly enough it was British importer BBH Spirits who initilally began to import Hill's Absinthe from the Czech Republic, which sparked a renewed interest in the product in the early 90’s. The product that came from the Czech Republic, Spain and Portugal was considered inferior as it used bohemian product in its manufacture.

In yr 2000 absinthe began production in France, the first time since 1914 or something like that. Today there are dozens of manufacturers in France.

Then in 2004 Amsterdam wine seller Menno Boorsma challenged the ban in Holland (as the ban was a conflict and never was a formal one.)

2007 saw the French ironically named Lucid brand become the first genuine absinthe to be made and receive a COLA certificate to import to the US.

St George Spirits of Alameda CA become the first manufacturer in the US.

In May of 2011 the (1915) ban in France was repealed.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
St. George Sprits, must have been a hehe, I love these, "spirited fellow" huh?

I've suspected the same thing over time as rxd that certain posters drink first, post and then think later. Now me, I'm on drugs on accounta I just had Gallbladder kicked out of my body so I have an excuse! hehe. Even then, I think my spellin is a bit of a problem more than anything else! smile But then, what else is new??? I've always had a problem with my spelling! ha

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rxd
Step up to the plate and give those people your best.
Practice, practice, practice.

Thank rxd for your message I shall try do it again and I think so a temperament be much better
Regards,Max

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Originally Posted by rxd

many of the tuners in here can't hear worth a crap.

I urge not to write this offensive language here

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
rxd, maybe it also has something to do with the 2 glasses of absinthe I had before listening. Now in the morning it does not sound so good anymore. Also I don't call what they do music, it's more a race to play as many notes as fast and loud as possible, so the tuning doesn't matter. Do you recall the Chopin nocturne and the bar song from the movie "Tombstone"? Exquisitely beautiful in that tuning.
Kees

DoelKees, perhaps not everything was at Maxim, but this is not the "vodka" or as in your case (absinthe). Sometimes even some beats in unison and not quite perfect octave lies refined aesthetic pleasure. There is a good Russian proverb: "There are no ugly women, there are only few of vodka" (joke)

DoelKees, быть может не всё получилось у Максима, однако причина не в "вине" или как в Вашем случае (absinthe). Иногда даже в некоторых биениях в унисонах и не совсем чистых квартах и октавах кроется утончённое эстетическое наслаждение. Есть хорошая русская пословица: "Не бывает некрасивых женщин,бывает только мало водки" (шутка)

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Max, crap is not considered a naughty word.

2ndly, having bad sounding unisons is NOT acceptable under any circumstances and trying to pawn them off as being "okay or acceptable in any manner is wrong." They are out of tune, the piano itself is at LEAST 1/4 of a tone flat of pitch. There is no excuse for that one alone. The octaves are all out of tune. You ask for advice and then reprimand US for giving it. There is no way I can take you serious with that kind of attitude.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Kees

DoelKees, perhaps not everything was at Maxim, but this is not the "vodka" or as in your case (absinthe). Sometimes even some beats in unison and not quite perfect octave lies refined aesthetic pleasure. There is a good Russian proverb: "There are no ugly women, there are only few of vodka" (joke)

DoelKees, быть может не всё получилось у Максима, однако причина не в "вине" или как в Вашем случае (absinthe). Иногда даже в некоторых биениях в унисонах и не совсем чистых квартах и октавах кроется утончённое эстетическое наслаждение. Есть хорошая русская пословица: "Не бывает некрасивых женщин,бывает только мало водки" (шутка)

I understand the proverb, it's funny and has some wisdom behind it.

Jerry Groot likes to tune all unisons beatless, but studies have shown that musicians like the unisons to be a little bit off. This is why many people like a professional tuning better after a couple of days, when things have moved out of perfection.

Of course if you can tune beatless unisons you can also tune lively unisons, but if all you can tune is lively unisons you can not tune pure unisons. Food for thought.

Kees

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
studies have shown that musicians like the unisons to be a little bit off.

What studies? Can you point us to them?

I know many musicians, but amongst them, I don't know a single one who prefers off unisons over clean ones.

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
1977 "Ortega" 8' + 8' harpsichord (Rainer Schütze, Heidelberg)
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Jerry Groot? And Patrick, and David Jensen and Bill Bremmer, and Dan Silverwood and Emmery, and grandpianoman, and Jeff and BDB and Bob Maret and Loren DiGiorgi and pretty much everyone else in here that can hear if a piano is out of tune or not Kee's. You're in the minority and you're wrong. So is Max.

Sometimes, I really wonder if you know what the heck you're talking about or not Kee's?

You may be able to spout off mathmatics like nobody's business but that is totally meaningless jibberish if you cannot do a good job of tuning or do not wish too.Or if you just like unison's that are out of tune. You a screwy wabbit u are...

I don't know how many pianos you tune a year but, prior to my health issues which have been going on for the past 2 or 3 years, I was tuning on average around 1,000 pianos per year and I was tuning for one heck of a lot of piano concerts.

Customers want the piano they are playing on to be in tune NOW, not two days after the concert is done with.... This is almost hilarious! I say, almost... smile

Last edited by Jerry Groot RPT; 01/14/13 10:11 AM.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I'm not a technician, but that tuning is completely unacceptable to me. It sounds terrible - like the kind of tuning you hear a movie set in an old western saloon. The young ladies playing on it are succeeding in spite of the tuning, not because of it.

I'm only a novice tuner, and I'm not an expert in setting temperaments, but at least I can get clean and stable unisons. To me that is a bare minimum for a tuning. This tuning fails that most basic of tests.

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
The piano is dreadful.

The performances are not.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Max, I'll give my critique on the tuning here. I have software here for some decent analysis. The majority of the keys are indeed about 22-28 cents flat in the central 4 octaves, with the exception of G's and D's, which are about 5 cents flat. This indicates the temperament has got some issues also unless this is something other than ET. You need to check the calibration of your tuning fork to something valid. The tuning fork is a fickle thing, susceptable to changes from temperature, nicks and scratches, rust, ect. The treble and extreme treble increase in flatness up to about 50 cents. I beleive you need to find some useful checks for this that puts it up where it needs to be. The highest octave typically ends up 25-35 cents higher than normal, not lower. The unisons are far too busy/dirty. I am talking about a disparity that goes beyond "having extra energy". In laymens terms, the unisons are out of tune. With the music the girls were playing, a solid ET tuning with clean unisons and octaves would more than suffice. The saloon pianos of the west sounded the way they did because they travelled cross country on bumpy wagon rides, not because there was a particular dirty tuning style for them. They were often not tuned, or at best, a fiddle player or a saloon singer would attempt to pull up the worst notes with a crude tool the town blacksmith would fashion for them. Max, make sure you start with a referance point of A440. It would be extremely embarrasing if you get called to tune somewhere the piano will be played with a fixed pitch instrument....even people with wooden ears will pick up on that. I would likely do 2 or 3 passes on a piano that sounded like this one likely did before you started tuning it.

Last edited by Emmery; 01/14/13 10:58 AM.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Emmery
Max, I'll give my critique on the tuning here.

Dear Emmery, I am glad to receive your message. I sorry that you have to devote a lot of time analyzing my clip's tuning.
I took tuning a grand because really wanted to do it. In our country town no professional piano tuner and music school administrator asked me made temperament. My fee was $ 13. «Bluthner" for many years set (A = 438). Prior to the concert was less than a day. I began to move with this tone, because he was afraid to break the strings. Replace torn, there is no opportunity here. After the concert, I checked temperament. I did not catch the big differences for yourself. Fa3 note was slightly lower. Good not sounded as H4, F# 4 so. I did a temperament as I could. I will heed the advice of tech. experts for increase their own skills.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minnesota Marty
The piano is dreadful.

The performances are not.

showmustgoon

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando
like the kind of tuning you hear a movie set in an old western saloon.

Financial and moral state of culture in Kazakhstan is now at a level much like the Wild West, the late nineties of the 19th century

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The correct order for replying to a post is:

1) read
2) think
3) reply

Kees

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Maximillyan
Kees

Of course if you can tune beatless unisons you can also tune lively unisons, but if all you can tune is lively unisons you can not tune pure unisons.

Kees, bravo. It is realy "alive unisons." I'm trying to do unisons, octaves, and especially B3 is alive. If some keys are flat I hear sounds, I'm looking for the cause and often slightly over lifting tone in choirs. Last 10 extreme bass strings(keys) do just below the total temperament

Хорошая темперация, с моей точки зрения, это не только качественно звучащие звуки в соответствии с законами классических устоев теории музыки.Это прежде всего эстетическое наслаждение исполнителя и слушателя от качественного разделения октавы на 12 равных отрезков.

Page 4 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 6 27 28

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission