2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 6 invisible), 1,286 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
OP Offline
H
This one seems to be a VST at least worth keeping an eye on:
VI Labs homepage

We had a thread on this one in February 2012, when it still had a way to go in development:
Old True Keys thread on PW

However, apparently there are more demos on the True Keys site now than at the beginning of the year, with all three pianos being featured.

And it seems like the release is pretty imminent - suggested by a Beta tester here, saying it might "become available in a few days", and stirring up some hype:
Thread on Music Player Forum

Also on the VI Labs Facebook page there is a post from December 1st stating that they have "gone into full scale production now", with a photo of numerous flash drives being replicated.

The main interesting thing to me right now is the different mic positions that can be mixed with each other as well.
As we recently had a discussion on here about mic position being the achilles heel of sampled VST pianos, I'm currently hoping this sample library might actually get around this problem.
Maybe in a recording scenario one could use the player position for playing; then after recording, switch to the other mic positions.

Now, although I have piled up quite a lot of piano libraries in recent months, I must say I am quite intrigued at the moment.
Especially the demo of the player position of the True Keys American Grand piqued my interest, as it seems more full-bodied on single notes than my current favourite VST, the Synthogy American D.

So, what are your thoughts on it?
Am I just falling prey to hype and demos (again laugh )?

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
Not a big fun of VST but Italian grand by Jordan Rudess is amazing.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
G
G
Demos do sound good. I'd probably give it a whirl.

Edit: just saw me commenting in the original thread, being underwhelmed. I don't remember it, but guess they've come a long way since.

Last edited by Gigantoad; 12/21/12 07:27 PM.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by jarosujo
Not a big fun of VST but Italian grand by Jordan Rudess is amazing.

I think you mean Italian Grand in the Ivory family by Synthogy. Jordan Rudess is just the celebrity who endorses it.

It's ok (I played the previous version but have listened to the current version a lot). I personally have a hard time with the sound of these Faziolis. They go for ultimate clarity, but the result is very penetrating and sterile. I don't like it.

Originally Posted by gvfarns

I think you mean Italian Grand in the Ivory family by Synthogy. Jordan Rudess is just the celebrity who endorses it.

I mean demo at VI Labs home page http://vilabsaudio.com/
The first one named Grand Illusion by Jordan Rudess - Italian grand
That sounds really fantastic.

Yamaha NP-V80 (sold)
Yamaha DGX640 (sold)
Kawai CL-36
Pianoteq Standard + Intel NUC DC3217BY + Sennheiser HD598 + Fostex PM0.4n + NI Audio 2
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Oops. Gotcha.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Just listened to some of the demos. I'm quite impressed. The three pianos offer a decent variety. All they need now is the wonderful clarity and punch of a good Yamaha and you'd have all the bases covered I think. The only thing I don't like so much is the annoying pedal swooshing sounds on many of the demos but I assume you can adjust that.

G
G
Yeah, pedal noises are annoying. I don't know why anyone would think they add realism. If the sample was at least somewhat randomized, but it's always the exact same.

Luckily, this can be disabled.

H
OP Offline
H
I found another thread with some information:
Gearslutz thread

Assuming this is legit, the street price is going to be $349.99 for the 3 piano bundle.
Also, the German Grand is supposed to be sampled from a Bechstein, the American Grand from a Steinway (as expected) and the Italian Grand from a Fazioli (no surprise either).

And I agree with you guys, I would disable the pedal noises as well, just as I do with Ivory.

Pianist & Composer.
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
Has anyone found out a release date yet? I can't seem to find one.

www.soundcloud.com/btrailblazer

Cable-Nelson upright piano, Casio WK-200, Mackie MR5MK2 monitors, Cubase Artist 7, Steinberg's The Grand 3, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 interface, Asus R500a-RS52 Windows 8, i5-3230M 2.6 gHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD (5400RPM)
V
V
First of all, we'd like to thank everyone for the interest in our new product. We think you'll all enjoy it quite a bit.

Bane, True Keys will start shipping to dealers around the world this week. We'll start listing locations where True Keys can be purchased on our website a little later this week.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
VILabs, will you be exhibiting at NAMM in January?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Unfortunate name selection with True Pianos out there.

Guaranteed to be some confusion between the two in discussions here and there.

F
F
Their Italian grand sounds really great. Not so much of a fan of the other pianos. I'm currently looking around for my first VST, and Synthogy's American D might be preferred for me since it's purchased as stand-alone (and sounds damn good, of course).

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36
V
V
We won't have an official presence at NAMM, but we will all be there. I believe you'll be able to see/hear True Keys at the MOTU booth as it uses the UVI engine and opens in Mach Five as well as the UVI Workstation.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the update, VILabs.

Pianist & Composer.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I look forward to your pianos. But it's a tough market out there now with the Vintage D and the Ivory American Concert D which are both great pianos, and sold as individual instruments. If your pianos only come packaged together you may have a tough sell.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Macy
If your pianos only come packaged together you may have a tough sell.

I agree. There is not a lot of interest in packaged pianos. The typical user only uses one of them, and feels that being required to purchase the other ones is a waste.

Single pianos is the way to go!

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Agreed. Most of us will buy more than one piano anyway, but on our own terms and it will be the piano we are interested in.

On the other hand both Galaxy and Ivory became household names (on this forum, haha) with a suite of pianos. That may be a better approach from a marketing and brand recognition perspective.

Last edited by gvfarns; 12/31/12 10:23 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by gvfarns

On the other hand both Galaxy and Ivory became household names (on this forum, haha) with a suite of pianos. That may be a better approach from a marketing and brand recognition perspective.

However, the last two instruments from Galaxy - Vintage D and The Giant, have not been part of a suite.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission