2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, 4 invisible), 1,228 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
J
I believe that the most difficult part of his 4th Ballade, is getting the music out of the notes. This one is like many of Rachmaninoff's works-you can play all the nots, but not make any music

BDB #2016516 01/18/13 05:24 AM
V
V
Allegro de Concert, which is one of Chopin's hardest works hasn't been mentioned. It's definitely a major work. Also, there's the E flat major rondo, op. 18 if I remember right. Andante spianato e Grande polonaise brillante is almost a solo piano work, methinks.

Working on

Chopin: op. 25 no. 11
Haydn: Sonata in in Eb Hob XVI/52
Schumann: Piano concerto 1st movement
Rachmaninoff: op. 39 no. 8

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by jdott
I believe that the most difficult part of his 4th Ballade, is getting the music out of the notes. This one is like many of Rachmaninoff's works-you can play all the nots, but not make any music
I think your comment applies to any piece of music equally.

U
U
I honestly don't think you're ready for any of these pieces. As usual, if you have to ask which piece is harder than you probably aren't ready to play any of them. IMO the easiest out of the pieces you listed would be the 3rd ballade or op. 48 no. 1, but even these works are very technically challenging (I'm thinking of the ending section of the 3rd ballade and the octaves + coda of 48/1 for example). Quite frankly I think you are underestimating the difficulty of these pieces and vastly overestimating your own technique. You are not "quite an advanced player" just because you can play the Pathetique and a few easy Chopin pieces. I have played pieces like Beethoven op. 53, op. 57, op.81a and Chopin op. 25 no. 11 etc and I would not even consider myself an advanced player.

As usual the final decision is up to you and you seem set on tackling one of these major works. I can understand as they are great works of music and are very close to my heart. However I think if you do give it a try, you will find the quality of your playing to be ultimately less than satisfying. These pieces demand a great technical and musical maturity. You won't be doing the piece justice, technically or musically. This is why I stopped playing the B-flat minor sonata because it was clear after 20 minutes that I was neither technically nor musically ready for this colossal work. If you wanted suggestions of where to go next, I would personally suggest some more Beethoven sonatas like op.31/3 or some Chopin etudes like 10/5, 10/12, 25/1, 25/2 etc. Whether or not you can play these pieces well should be an good indicator if you're ready for one of Chopin's major works.

Originally Posted by UberB
I honestly don't think you're ready for any of these pieces....

But we're not talking to him any more -- he's gone!

(One of the hazards of old threads being opened....) grin

U
U
Oops, didn't notice laugh

Oops, didn't notice laugh

No problem. It's just a little funny because there's a 'debate' going on about it. ha

Online Content
I think whether the original poster is still here is usually of minor importance. If a topic is interesting, important, etc. than the answers are almost always interesting and important to many people.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/19/13 06:46 PM.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think whether the original poster is still here is of minor importance.

Perhaps - but if you make a comment and expect the OP to respond, you're going to be disappointed.

Last edited by carey; 01/19/13 06:46 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Originally Posted by carey
Perhaps - but if you make a comment and expect the OP to respond, you're going to be disappointed.

We can then explain it to the n00b.
Preferably nicely. grin

J
J
This time, it wasn't me!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I have played pieces like Beethoven op. 53, op. 57, op.81a and Chopin op. 25 no. 11 etc and I would not even consider myself an advanced player.

You can play Winter Wind (I presueme you mean you can play it well) and don't consider yourself an advanced player?? What exactly does it take?

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Good observation, and I think we should presume that we shouldn't presume what you presumed! grin

U
U
I spent the last few months learning 25/11 and I can give a relatively acceptable private rendition, i.e. the speed is pretty proper, accuracy is decent and there is sufficient musicality. I still wouldn't perform it live, but I also spent a lot of hours of effort on it and I wouldn't say it's completely trash. smile

Anyway my point was that in the classical music world, there is always space to improve. Unless I was at the very top, I wouldn't waste time considering how good I was. I don't have any illusions about my skill level. Amongst amateurs and regular people I am obviously very good. But compared with professionals and conservatory students I am definitely nothing special, which is fine for me since piano playing is just a hobby (although a dedicated one).

Another reason why I don't consider myself advanced is because there are still many pieces that I want to play but can't. Chopin's 2nd and 3rd piano sonatas, for instance, as well as his 1st and 4th Ballade, 3rd scherzo, the late Beethoven sonatas, the Liszt sonata, Bach's Goldbergs etc. Keep setting goals for yourself and you will always find space to improve. smile When I was in 4th grade I wanted to play Mozart's rondo alla turca and Beethoven's appassionata sonata. Today these goals have become reality but I have new goals to replace them laugh

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Good observation, and I think we should presume that we shouldn't presume what you presumed! grin

Okay, what is your definition of playing 25/11 well? My idea of playing well would be on the level of Sokolov or Richter or Lhevinne or Orozco. In that case, I don't play 25/11 well at all. But again if your definition of playing well would be simply to give a pretty good rendition for an amateur pianist that still does the piece justice, then I suppose I can agree with -Frycek's presumption.

Last edited by UberB; 01/24/13 02:38 AM.
Here's the thing: If you can play that piece fairly well, you are an advanced player. Since you said you don't consider yourself one, there seems to be a contradiction. In fact, IMO there is a contradiction. grin

So, the only thing I would presume is that one thing or the other isn't so. Which, I don't know. smile

P.S. I can't get much from what you say "playing well" means, including because (pardon my saying so) grin the pianists you mentioned as examples of "playing well" are ridiculous. That's not playing 'well,' that's playing at an all-time-great Hall of Fame level. All I can say is, we all have our ideas of what it means to play a piece "well," and while all our ideas might be somewhat different, I'm comfortable talking about it without defining it, and feeling that it's pretty similar to what most people think -- and that saying the standard for playing "well" is Lhevinne, Sokolov etc. has no resemblance to what most people think. I'm not putting down your playing at all; in fact I'd guess you're better than how you made yourself sound with the modest statement.

BTW you named a pretty darn good Hall of Fame. smile

Originally Posted by Mark_C

BTW you named a pretty darn good Hall of Fame. smile

I'll say! and I thought I had issues with comparing myself to others XD

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission