2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi! Frequent lurker here.

Do you all think it matters to a toddler whether he hears in-tune music vs. flat music? Does it impact the toddlers singing voice?

I love the size of the keys, the substantial feel of, and the deep sound of my 1910 upright. It is in terrible condition though, and it sounds flat, even for the few minutes it stays in tune after the tuning.

To voice it or fix any of it up would cost more than its "worth." I have a digital piano too, but its not as much fun to play. I wonder about an out of tune piano's effect on my child's future singing voice (or more likely- her lack of). Any thoughts?

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Out of tune pianos are detrimental to musical enjoyment and development, particularly with respect to ear training (which is important). Children (and adults) are also more likely to quit if the piano sounds bad. Sorry to be blunt, but if your upright is not capable of being tuned, and/or needs other expensive repairs, it should be disposed of.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Beethoven is absolutely correct. Do not compromise your child's musical development and appreciation by going cheap.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's not condemn the piano without seeing it. I've saved many old pianos with CA glue, an inexpensive repair.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by accordeur
Let's not condemn the piano without seeing it. I've saved many old pianos with CA glue, an inexpensive repair.

I'd be cool with that if we were talking about a 40 or 50 year old piano in otherwise decent working order. A 1910 upright in "terrible" shape? Not a chance.

S
OP Offline
S
Well boo. I really loooooove playing this piano in particular. My piano tuner showed me the whip-its are all slack and the felt is all soft. It only stays in tune about 4 months.

I don't like playing other pianos or keyboards as much as this one. Only uprights have the big keys my fingers love, and uprights are either old or too expensive frown .

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I've saved many old pianos with CA glue, an inexpensive repair.

I just treated the pin block of my 100 year old Conover Cable upright with the CA glue; the pins that were a little loose are definitely tighter and she is holding a tuning nicely. I'm glad I was able to add a little more life to the old girl. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
I've saved many old pianos with CA glue, an inexpensive repair.

I just treated the pin block of my 100 year old Conover Cable upright with the CA glue; the pins that were a little loose are definitely tighter and she is holding a tuning nicely. I'm glad I was able to add a little more life to the old girl. smile

Rick

smile

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
To answer the original question - Yes, it could be detrimental. Imagine a toddler singing "Twinkle, Twinkle" based on the pitches from a piano which is wildly out of tune. There are the instances when he is hearing more than one pitch from any given key. (poor unisons) He won't know it's wrong, but it is the only reference he has so he learns that it is "right."

Our sense of pitch and interval (western) is learned at a very early age. We learn a scale based on 1/2 steps. Other cultures use drastically different scales and intervals.

It is the development of the ear, with proper references, which allows singing "on pitch."

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Oops! - Sorry. I now see that your child is a "she" and not a "he."

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
S
OP Offline
S
Thank you for your wonderful responses!

Despite the fact I wish out of tune pianos did NOT affect singing voices, I am glad to find some answers.

I've been looking everywhere to find out the answer to this question. I didn't know what resources to look in!

Thank you! smile

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by surfingthetide
Thank you for your wonderful responses!

Despite the fact I wish out of tune pianos did NOT affect singing voices, I am glad to find some answers.

I've been looking everywhere to find out the answer to this question. I didn't know what resources to look in!

Thank you! smile

I agree with everyone else who has posted that out of tune pianos are detrimental to musical development.

However I do want to point out an important distinction: it's her ear training and ability to hear and match pitches, etc. that can be damaged.

When a singer talks about damaging their voice they usually mean the actual physical instrument - the vocal chords etc. (I'm not a professional singer). I don't see any reason why an out of tune piano would damage the voice in this way.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It is a horrible thing to see as a technician a piano that is 2 keys flat of pitch with a parent that says "it's good enough for my child to practice on." Trying to convince a person like that is almost like talking to a brick wall in many cases. Their ears are closed and their mind is made up before it even came out of their mouth.

It's nice to read that someone cares. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
N
N
Something to consider though is all instruments of that era will be flat. If you get a Clarinet from 1910 it will also sound flat. You had that international pitch ( improved scale) to deal with. The big antique pianos sound great if they can hold A440 and dont have clicky, squeaky actions. One of the secrets to making them sound great is new bass strings, if everything else isn't shot.

It depends on what kind of music you are playing too. If you like die hard classical you might not like an old upright. If you are Alan Jackson playing in the back of a pickup truck then it might be perfect smile

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I grew up with an old Brödrene Hals piano, out of tune and heavy birdcage action. But, it was all we had. And I learned to play without a teacher, I sing on pitch and now cringe by the sound of an out-of-tune note. I guess our inborn talents are stronger than any old piano. In or out of tune.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Do you all think it matters to a toddler whether he hears in-tune music vs. flat music? Does it impact the toddlers singing voice?

First, I'm not a teacher and no expert on this. But I don't see much evidence for above remarks that "Out of tune pianos are detrimental to musical enjoyment and development".

I agree that the piano intervals need to be in tune.

But the absolute pitch is much less relevant IMHO. I think it's much more important that you like the sound and that the intervals are tuned properly than that the absolute pitch is correct.

I heard that toddlers have a chance to learn absolute pitch. And out-of-tune pianos might prevent that from developing. But I'm not so convinced that absolute pitch is such a bless. In practice, many pianos are a bit off; orchestras pick a higher pitch (A443); old instruments and baroque orchestras pick A420 to A425. In the past concert pitch was A430.6. Some even reported A370. Händels tuning fork was A421.5.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B

Originally Posted by wouter79
First, I'm not a teacher and no expert on this. But I don't see much evidence for above remarks that "Out of tune pianos are detrimental to musical enjoyment and development".

Well, as you said, you're not an expert. It is important for budding musicians to develop a good sense of tone, which can't be done if the piano is out of tune, particularly if the unisons are out. Also, kids don't enjoy playing if the piano sounds bad or doesn't play right. I see it all the time.

But the absolute pitch is much less relevant IMHO. I think it's much more important that you like the sound and that the intervals are tuned properly than that the absolute pitch is correct.

If you're a pianist, it is perhaps less relevant, but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant. If you're a clarinetist, floutist, or a singer, yeah, absolute pitch is pretty darn important if you're playing with a piano, and these musicians will complain if the piano significantly deviates from concert pitch.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
>Do you all think it matters to a toddler whether he hears in-tune music vs. flat music? Does it impact the toddlers singing voice?

I agree that the piano intervals need to be in tune.

I heard that toddlers have a chance to learn absolute pitch. And out-of-tune pianos might prevent that from developing. But I'm not so convinced that absolute pitch is such a bless. In practice, many pianos are a bit off; orchestras pick a higher pitch (A443); old instruments and baroque orchestras pick A420 to A425. In the past concert pitch was A430.6. Some even reported A370. Händels tuning fork was A421.5.

Yes, it matters a great deal. Toddlers tell us all the time in schools "my piano doesn't sound like my piano teachers piano. It sounds terrible but my parents don't care because they can't hear it." You don't know how many times I hear that in the course of one year. Dozens and dozens and dozens of times.

Yamaha did an extensive study back in the 70's I believe it was and they found that badly out of tune and badly out of pitch pianos, were the NUMBER ONE CAUSE of kids no longer wanting to take lessons. Very, VERY close behind it, almost a number one as well, were pianos that played horribley. Sticking keys. Regulation was way off meaning the touch was all screwy. One note played, the next one didn't. One note played easily, the next note played hard. There is no way that anyone can learn how to properly play on a piano that is A. Out of tune. B. Off from pitch. C plays terribly. D. has notes that do not work.

Yes, there have been MANY studies done to prove this to be true and we as technicians see it on a regular basis and it is true.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Do you all think it matters to a toddler whether he hears in-tune music vs. flat music? Does it impact the toddlers singing voice?
There are many good reasons for keeping a piano in good playing and sounding condition. However, I do not believe that an out of tune piano impacts children's singing.

Oh, if we could only blame all the out of tune singing in the world on poorly tuned childhood pianos!

JG
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by surfingthetide
It only stays in tune about 4 months.

Tuning a piano 3 or 4 times a year is about right. It might not be all that bad, and CA glue might help.

The resulting market value will never justify the money you'd put into repairs, but if you love it and want to keep it for a long time, get a second opinion from someone who rebuilds pianos. The decision to junk it should only be based on the opinion of someone who knows how to fix it and has seen it in person.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission