2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2018711 01/22/13 01:23 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I have been reading a lot about Hailun pianos on this forum recently, but I still have questions about them. First: are they high quality pianos? Second: what are the prices for the 151 and the 161? The bluebookofpianos says that they are around $9,000 and 10,000 respectively. But I have heard that the bluebookofpianos tends to be off by quite a bit... I plan to call the nearest dealer and see what their prices are ASAP, buy I would like to know what price to shoot for. Thanks

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Define high quality. They are among the best Chinese-built pianos currently available, and offer great value, but they are not what one would generally consider a performance-grade piano, like Steinway. That said, there is no reason why someone who is considering a Yamaha or Kawai shouldn't look at them. Also, many dealers (probably most) will not give you prices over the phone. Refer to pianobuyer.com for approx pricing.

C
OP Offline
C
I definitely do not mean Steinway quailty, I just do not want major issues, and sound problems, ect. I am currently looking at both Kawai and Yamaha. I have received several prices over the phone recently. The only reason I need the prices over the phone is that I live about 2 hrs away from the nearest dealer and do not want to drive all the way to the dealer if the pianos are out of my price range.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Colegirl99
I definitely do not mean Steinway quailty, I just do not want major issues, and sound problems, ect. I am currently looking at both Kawai and Yamaha. I have received several prices over the phone recently. The only reason I need the prices over the phone is that I live about 2 hrs away from the nearest dealer and do not want to drive all the way to the dealer if the pianos are out of my price range.

I don't think you will have any major issues with these pianos. They are nicely designed and manufactured. They are very popular on these forums, as well. You can look up the prices on PianoBuyer.com, but Hailun is less expensive than Kawai and Yamaha by a fair amount.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Colegirl99

If I were shopping for Yamaha or Kawai I would certainly be looking at Hailun also. My personal opinion is that the tonal quality and touch is better on the Hailun than the lower level offerings from Yamah or Kawai (G-series)

Does a Hailun measure up to tier one instruments? No, but at that price we shouldn't expect them to.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I wasn't so excited by the smaller Hailuns, but the 178 is really outstanding value and not much more expensive than the smaller models you mentioned. It is a lot of piano for the money. Honestly, I liked the Hailun 178 more than I liked the Kawai RX2 and Yamaha C2.

J
J
Are they high quality pianos?

I have a three month old 178. Touch is comparable if not better compared to a Yamaha or Kawai. Tone is warm and sweet, just exactly how I want it.

If you look closely at the finish it's not as good as Yamaha or Kawai. But you really have to look closely.

For under half the price of a similar size Yamaha or Kawai, it's really value for money.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I also have heard lots of good things about Hailun, although I have yet to play one. When I am in the market to buy another upright piano, however, I will consider them on my list. You should call the dealer and ask the prices they are going for before you make the trip. The $9-10k seems a bit high for those - I think the local dealer quoted $7k (but on sale for $5900), but I don't recall the model. It was a studio upright as that is all I was interested in buying.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you all. Unfortunately the only sizes that will fit are the 151 and the 161. I am will be calling the dealer today. The only other pianos I would be looking at are gm-10 gm-12 and gb1.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene
The $9-10k seems a bit high for those - I think the local dealer quoted $7k (but on sale for $5900), but I don't recall the model. It was a studio upright as that is all I was interested in buying.
The OP is asking about grand models, not uprights. That would change your pricing expectations.

The Piano Buyer is the only source of pricing that gets industry support. The "blue book of pianos" is not a reliable source. Like so many things online, it has enough general truth mixed in to sound good. Most of the time it is simply outdated or under-researched, but there are some complete inaccuracies contained within.

YouTube Demo of Hailun model 151

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
M
M
My parents have a Yamaha C3 and I was hoping to have one of my own some day to replace my Clavinova (CLP 370). After spending some time with a Hailun 178 this past week, I was really impressed with the feel and sound of the piano. The owner of the store I visited is also a technician and has some videos that offer an interesting perspective that I find quite useful. Here is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMYwdAqVtdk

His youtube channel has several more videos with his commentary about Hailun pianos.

Originally Posted by Mark Gee
My parents have a Yamaha C3 and I was hoping to have one of my own some day to replace my Clavinova (CLP 370). After spending some time with a Hailun 178 this past week, I was really impressed with the feel and sound of the piano. The owner of the store I visited is also a technician and has some videos that offer an interesting perspective that I find quite useful. Here is one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMYwdAqVtdk

His youtube channel has several more videos with his commentary about Hailun pianos.

I watched the video you posted and thought I was going to hear someone play a new Hailun piano; but all the guy did was talk about how great he thought Hailun pianos were. All talk and no play... smile

Of course you wouldn't think Hailun pianos were so great, or at least their warranty, after reading this thread just above yours...

Avoid Hailun Pianos

Good luck, and welcome to Piano World!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Rickster #2659686 07/07/17 03:54 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The other thread is attracting its due attention, but it's still the internet, incomplete, and hardly reason by itself to pour water on another's enthusiam for a brand that has won so many accolades. We've handled all Hailun warranty issues to date going back at least 10 years now with satisfied customers. Sometimes they took time but most are simple and quick. They are rare overall, and in our experience with a wide variety of brands, Hailun's warrany service remains above average among many of their peers. I could tell down right embarrassing stories about some of the elite brands.

That said, to Mark Gee, we recently had an interesting experience that may relate to you. We had a new recording studio purchase a Hailun 178 from us. After a couple of years and more clients served, they upgraded to a much larger piano from us and traded in the Hailun. There are some impressive recordings made on that piano, nonetheless. That piano was then bought by a family that originally had their heart set on a Yamaha C3 but liked the used Hailun 178 and it better fit their budget. Fast forward 3 more years, a more mature and experience student, and they came back to see us to compare a couple of pianos including a 2 very young Yamaha C3's. After trying all types of brands, they preferred their Hailun to everything except an Estonia L190. They ultimately decided to keep their Hailun and perhaps upgrade to the Estonia in the future, but felt so much more confident about their choice and with renewed appreciation for their Hailun.

We keep a Hailun 178 available for rent, and it is most requested by the Atlanta Opera. They've stood up to some really stiff competition.

Here is a video of a Hailun 178 used at a nearby music venue that attracts regional and national talents for some time now.
Raben Jones @ Eddie Owens Presents

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission