2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 95 of 341 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 340 341
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You want to hear a train wreck? Listen to the Giant Steps one. Only the drummer and I kept the form the entire time (of course the drummer doesn't really have to anything special).

I can't understand why the guitar player just didn't lay back if he can't play it. Is it ego? He told me he can play it. The bass player caught on though.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

T
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee

Nice! Lots of Herbie influence in there...

Yeah totally. Kenny said Herbie was one of his fav players. What specific things about his playing reminds you of Herbie? I have my own thoughts but want to hear an unbiased opinion first.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
His syncopation and swing has so many Herbie elements. It's just something I studied about Herbie so it just sticks out.

There's something about his lines too but I'd have to listen more.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
yeah I find his rhythm similar to Herbie's. And I like how he uses dissonance, his chord voicings and note choices.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great playing from Kenny, but the recording does remind me how I really really dislike 2-and-4 on the hi-hat.

The drumming here however . . . smile Listen how DeJohnette leaves space for Jarrett's piano.:
[video:myspace]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io1o1Hwpo8Y[/video]

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
. . . . It's a bunch of old people but some apparently really like jazz so I don't think we'll be out of place. . . .

I suggest you all bring along a RealBook, if you get some jazz fans, they do tend to come up with requests.

Which can be fun but also a tad harrowing . . . smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chrisbell
. . . . It's a bunch of old people but some apparently really like jazz so I don't think we'll be out of place. . . .

I suggest you all bring along a RealBook, if you get some jazz fans, they do tend to come up with requests.

Which can be fun but also a tad harrowing . . . smile

We'll have our real book! I'm getting baptized in this at the jam sessions. It's getting easier doing new tunes. I can improvise on anything but the issue is always playing the melody though. I'm no sight reader so I can't pick up a melody I haven't heard/learned that fast.

Good example is 500 miles high. Someone else played it at the last jam and he had the same problem I did. It's one of these tunes that if you hesitate on the melody, you can't remember where to enter again in the middle.

Same with Whisper Not. I could solo on this easily but the melody is a little complex so it takes awhile to learn.

I guess there's no shortcuts to some of these.

Most I can play by ear (Jobim's stuff for example).

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I guess there's no shortcuts to some of these.

Practice and more practice Grasshopper!
laugh

ps: for gig such as yours, I make a playlist in iTunes of all the tunes and listen obsessively to them on my iPod (washing up, cooking dinner, out for a walk, washing the car, beating up the neighbour, . . )

Last edited by chrisbell; 01/03/11 12:39 PM.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I had very illuminating lesson today. I haven't seen my teacher since I've done several jams so I actually had him listen to what I was doing and gave me like an offline masterclass.

Mostly, the feedback was positive so I'm glad I didn't shame him with my playing at these jams. But I guess against the bad guitar players, maybe anyone of us can sound good smile

But some of the comments were interesting. He would note the contrasting rhythmic feels of the bass player, drummer and comping, how some of the rhythms were fighting each other. Examples were 12/8 feel vs. shuffle vs. Ballad feel. He said it was hard for me to play well in that environment because no one is listening and adapting to each other. However, it's not something I can change so I just have to adapt to the situation.

The most significant comment though was what I would call overplaying. Maybe in the effort to impress, it's always about too many notes. So we actually played some of the tunes in the jam while my teacher comped. And when I laid back and played less, the impact was humonguous. I'm talking about Miles Davis style playing which I don't do much of. Like my Blue Bossa with streams of 8th notes.

I forgot about my basic lessons like syncopation, space and long lines. When I actually thought about it and played, towards the end of the lesson, even I felt I was sounding really good.

So if I can just apply this to a jam or recording, I will make a huge jump. I can do it as proven by what I played with my teacher but it has to be the focus from here on. I can play fast things now but maybe now that I can do that, it is less important.

BTW - Chris, I would do well if I played like you did in your Trio recordings. No overplaying there so it sounded great.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great points from your teacher. And thanks for those kind words.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Hey Scep, are you around?

Didn't you do Blue in Green at some point in here (too far back to search)? Or at least were discussing it? I was working on two handed voicings on this and wanted to know what you were figuring out on this tune.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
BiG would be a great topic to discuss . . . for all of us.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well let's do that. First, anyone reharmonizing this? Or should we talk about voicings?

My Jazz Blog

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
haven't played this before as far as I remember. I'll call it tonight. Hopefully someone will record (haven't received the zoom yet frown )

R
R
How about we start with a list of the basic changes and move from there? I assume you use the real book changes? They look pretty good.

I haven't played the song myself. I might give it a try tonight.

Well let's do that. First, anyone reharmonizing this? Or should we talk about voicings?

b.t.w. I hope its ok that I am interjecting here. First time posting to this topic. I think its a great idea...

Last edited by s_winitsky; 01/07/11 03:25 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

No no no!
No re-harmonizing BiG!! That's sacrilege!
smile

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
LOL! I think Scep was reharmonizing it.

s_winitsky, I'm glad to to see you here. This is the only thread were we can really dig in and talk specifics.

I played Blue in Green at the last jam (recording previously posted) and I've never played this before. The interesting thing was that after 3 attempts at the jam (2 by other players), they've never gotten it right. I'm talking about the form. The form is so unusual that it is easy to get lost. Well, when I played this, I made sure to stick to my tempo until everyone followed me. If you listen to the jam recording, it apparently worked. And as long as I was playing a regular and predictable comping, no one got lost. It was the only successful try of this.

I played it only with mostly standard rootless voicings since I haven't really gotten the chance to examine it in detail. So the last couple of days, I started reading some commentary on Levine's book on Blue in Green and I tried out some voicing suggestions.

So for all the minor 7 chords, I tried the 'So What' voicings (5th + stacked 4's + 3rd). I used some open and rooted two handed voicings on the Alt chords. On Maj7 I used 1/5 at the bottom and a stack of 4ths on top. That's what I got to try so fast based on Levine.

Some of the so-what voicings don't work too well because of the melody so I'll have to rethink that. And I haven't done it as block-chords although that will probably work well on this tune.

Any more voicing ideas?

Now playing this is a different matter. If you listen to my recording, I started playing around with diatonic intervals for each chord to provide motion. It was particularly easy on the white note chords of which there are several.

I think this tune can be overplayed. It has the potential for that. But it is beautiful even when done simply.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

This is what would play.
I just love this piece as it is, it has a beautiful meditative quality about it - and I find it hard to do a re-harm.
(though "friend-of-order" will notice that I choose a Gm and not a Bb as the first chord smile also; the bass notes are just put in there as a guide)

R
R

I was just playing around quickly with the tune. Yeah I could imagine it would be easy to get lost in this tune.

I think with the second d minor 7th chord, I used the Kenny Barron voicing smile

I seem to use that voicing a bit too often.

Any more voicing ideas?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey Scep, are you around?

Didn't you do Blue in Green at some point in here (too far back to search)? Or at least were discussing it? I was working on two handed voicings on this and wanted to know what you were figuring out on this tune.

Yup, still around, just mostly lurking though.

As for Blue in Green, I have played that and was working on it back in March (I think?), but never posted anything. It's a great tune, but pretty difficult to sound decent on without some real direction in the solos.

I believe the tune was written with the ambiguity of the chords in mind. It never really cadences giving the impression of a never ending tune. With this in mind I've found it necessary to think about how to have this floating quality, but at the same time make it interesting enough to listen to.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

Page 95 of 341 1 2 93 94 95 96 97 340 341

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission