2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 540 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 539 540

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Recarado - that's a wonderful attitude -you are right! Someday!

Christine, do you have a link to the sheet music for Dedication?
Or the name of a particular book ?

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Lain
Finally spent my bookstore rebate card ...

Oooo, I want one of those laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, I have the name of the collection: it is Stories of the Young, Op. 1 (Cuentos de la Jevenitud).

Here is also a little blurb about Enrique Granados from Jane Magrath's book of piano literature:

"Granados lived most of his life (1867-1916) in Barcelona, where he established his reputation as a leading piano virtuoso and teacher. He felt a strong tie with his country's past and with the paintings of Goya. Granados died as a result of World War I: he was sailing back to Spain from the United States on the British liner Sussex when it was torpedoed by a German submarine.

Christine

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lain
David Dubal's The Essential Canon of Classical Music

Ah, I enjoyed reading David Dubal's book about Horowitz. I put this on my booklist. Thank you for the idea! smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Added another Goldberg Variation to my repertoire.... Variation #13.

Now I've done the Aria, #4, #13, #18, #19. I may try a couple of the cannons (#3 and #9), but after that, I fear the remainder surpasses my abilities.

I'm gunning for Handel's "Harmonious Blacksmith" Aria and variations next.

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Hi I am finally back from my business trips.
I just practiced about four hours and felt whole for the first time in weeks. It's been long time, too long not be able to practice. I missed piano so badly that I felt depressed last week.

Next week is the first week in seven weeks that I can be at home whole week. Of the six weeks I traveled, I only practiced a couple of days when I was in NY. I could not find any piano to practice in Utah. I went to a community college but I could not get in to the practice rooms. Access to all the classromms and labs are controled by electronic badges so that only valid students can enter. Piano stores were closed by the time I could visit them. Since I took several people to Utach with me, I wound up having to have dinner every night after worked until 6 or 7 PM. As far as I was concerned, I would have been perfectly happy to practice in my hotel room - even if it means I have to eat ramen noodles that I carry with me when I travel (just in case). But I realized that I could not be so selfish. Sigh. If I want to do a good job, it is extremely important to take care of the team. Besides it pays for my expensive hobby (piano), I love my job. I probably need to buy a small electronic keyboard and carry them around whenever I travel. Has anyone tried it?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
crogersrx: Thanks for sharing, I just listened to #13 on YouTube, and it's rather lovely. Congratulations!

FarmGirl: Welcome back...Yeah, don't we all wish we had a job that could both pay for our hobby and give us enough time to actually enjoy it?

"You are the music while the music lasts" - T.S. Eliot
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Not so much AotW, more AotLSM (Last six months) ... my sight reading is gradually but steadily improving. I've been doing a piece out of Classics to Moderns (the easy volume) every day, along with various exercises. They are never perfect, and anything faster than moderato is definitely played much slower than at tempo. But they are geting there. Less missed notes, way way less stop and starts and dynamics and rhythm getting there.

In short, as everyone says, if you want to improve your sight reading:

Practice, practice, practice!!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Great to hear about your improvement in sight reading, Andy! I've been using the Four Star books to help with mine. I don't know how much progress I've gained, but it's a long process. And as they say, to get better at it, one needs to just do more of it - lots more!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Andy,

Nice to know there might be light at the end of the tunnel if we keep working at it. I've got the Classics to Moderns book also, but have decided most of it is beyond my sight reading level. I've been using it for weekly throwaways. For sightreading I've been working my way through the Hanna Smith book that someone (you?) here on PW recommended. It is great because it offers so much material in one book (100 pages if I remember right, something like 600 eight to twelve bar lines of music. It is also very gently progressive, introducing new elements quite slowly. I find it does a good job of forcing me to look ahead and keep going. Some of the other sightreading exercise books I've tried just didn't have enough material.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
played all the way through Moment Musicale by Schubert. I need to memorize it.

Last edited by daviel; 06/27/11 02:53 PM.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."
David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Andy,

Good to hear there's improvement with sight-reading. It stimulates me to do the same. Honestly I started a few weeks ago but somehow I already stopped again. I've printed Czerny op 599 for sight-reading, but I'll have to white out the numbers of fingering. It confuses me. But I'll start tonight!

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JimF
For sightreading I've been working my way through the Hanna Smith book that someone (you?) here on PW recommended. It is great because it offers so much material in one book (100 pages if I remember right, something like 600 eight to twelve bar lines of music. It is also very gently progressive, introducing new elements quite slowly. I find it does a good job of forcing me to look ahead and keep going. Some of the other sightreading exercise books I've tried just didn't have enough material.

I won't claim to be the original person to recommend it because I know I picked it up from another thread. But, yes, I am using it and it is great. The one thing I wish is that there was a volume two that started going beyond fixed hand positions. I'm on the final chapter now of it which finally has key signatures but, unless I have yet to hit it, your hands don't need to move to hit any keys.

My routine is basically one or two pages of Hannah(depending on how much time I have that evening for practice) followed by the classics to moderns. And, to be honest, the latter is beyond my sight reading too but not that far. And, as I posted, it's getting better.

Kawai K3

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
What is the exact name of the Hannah book?

And is the From Classics to Moderns a "Joy of" book?

I really should not be thinking of getting more sheet music, but ...ah, it is irresistable.

ah and 4 Stars too?

So much music , so little (skill)...time!

I feel I'm far behind with what's been happening here the last week - and yet I see that in fact I've only missed a couple of days. I'll have to give a more careful read-through of the above posts!

I was told that Alicia de Larrocha is on of the best Spanish pianists, and she has recorded quite a bit of Albéniz, and Granados. I will be shopping!

[Linked Image]

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by casinitaly
What is the exact name of the Hannah book?

Easiest way:

Progressive Sight Reading Exercises

And is the From Classics to Moderns a "Joy of" book?

Nope, it's just a huge collection of (usually available elsewhere) pieces:

Easy Classics to Moderns

You will find the pieces in this book probably just slightly below the level of the Beethoven Sonatina you are learning. Some easier than others.

Last edited by Andy Platt; 06/27/11 05:43 PM.

Kawai K3

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Andy - just one small glitch - the two links go to the same book (Hannah's). Could you fix the Classics to Modern one please?

tks!

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cheryl,

here's the amazon link to Hanna Smith sightreading book
amzn link

Yes, Alicia LaR is a great pianist. You will find lots of Grandados and Albeniz by her. I actually also have a recording of Granados himself playing one of the pieces mentioned.

Andy,

I agree about the five finger - but on the other hand I'm also mindful that trying to do too much at once is what usually keeps me from practicing real reading. My routine is about the same as yours each day. I've now been doing at least 15 minutes a day for a bit over a year. There's progress, but the pace is downright glacial.

edit: too slow, now you have 3 links to it C. heres andy's other link to the Agay book: easy classics to moderns

Last edited by JimF; 06/27/11 04:53 PM.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jim. smile (I wasn't going to say anything about 3 links to Hannah, but I'm glad you noticed!)

And thanks for the further information about the Spanish music.

I'm so keen to get the cds. I can't imagine ever being able to play this music, but these pieces gave me the most delightful shivers when I listened to them.

Last edited by casinitaly; 06/27/11 04:55 PM. Reason: update, thanks for the new link

[Linked Image]

S
S
well im a beginner.. i mean really really beginner.. my achievement of the week, was getting to lesson 4 in piano wizard (its a software that you hook to any midi keyboard).. its the first time ive played multiple keys at once.. the real achievement is getting the praise of my father when he walked in and listened over my shoulder. if you have seen me play you would know just how lame i am at it so getting any praise is wonderful. of course the better i play the more i notice how awful my 100$ casio keyboard is. but it was all i could afford and i didnt think i would ever be even able to play twinkle twinkle little star.. anyway, so yeah, lesson 4 song 3 (i think its the third one in the lesson but im not sure) on half speed with 100% accuracy. lame, but you gotta start somewhere right?

Last edited by squiggyflop; 06/28/11 02:43 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
You're right squiggyflop - we all have to start somewhere. It is especially exciting when those who have been listening to us struggle to take our first "steps" in Pianoland start noticing improvements. Good for you !

[Linked Image]

Page 45 of 540 1 2 43 44 45 46 47 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission