2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,081 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 540 1 2 3 4 5 6 539 540
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I don't usually have an 'achievement of the week' but I do feel a bit chuffed at the moment!

A bit of background - last December I returned to the piano after ~40 years absence (initially buying a Techics DP to test the waters, then getting Kawai CA63 DP). Even when I was playing the piano, as a teenager, I was pottering rather than systematically studying. Subsequently I seriously took up the classical guitar and have played that off and on (more off than on) over the years.

Anyway, last week my piano teacher gave me Schubert's Minuet D334 to look at, in addition to continuing to work in the interpretation of Shostakovich's Prelude in C maj (from the Op 87 set).

I found the Schubert quite difficult - the fingering and the various voices made it a real challenge for me. I concentrated on the minuet section (which seemed to me by far the most difficult) and left the trio till later.

Last night I had my lesson and started with the Schubert, playing the 'minuet' section through.

At the end my teacher was quiet (ominous, I thought) and then said 'remarkable' a few times ('remarkably bad' I wondered). He then said he would bring his mother in to hear (who is also a piano teacher) but he, correctly, thought that would make me nervous, so didn't.

He said I had done remarkably well (it's Grade 6 standard)!

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Kokomo61 - now that is great fun! I haven't seen Little Shop of Horrors for years, but remember being very entertained by it!

John, you must be chuffed indeed! Complimenti! Bravo! I'd be chuffed too!

(note: Canadians and Americans don't use "chuffed" - I only learned it a few years ago when I started hanging out with Brits and Irish folk!.....The first time I heard it, my friend said "I was really chuffed yesterday"....andI cautiously said "Oh, yes..?" with a question in my voice, inviting him to continue (I was wondering - angry?, irritated?, amused? I hadn't a clue. He went on to tell his story and all was clear - but it was a funny example of how two English speakers don't always communicate at first try!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

(note: Canadians and Americans don't use "chuffed"

Cas - thanks for the clarification. When I saw John's post I didn't know if chuffed was good or bad.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Chuffed.

One online dictionary gives "very pleased, proud or happy with yourself". I suppose it is all those things but, to me, there's also an element of "quietly very pleased, proud or happy with yourself" about it.

Last edited by John_B; 05/20/10 04:28 PM.
L
L
let's see these week I learned a new arpeggio and I almost have half of the 1st page of Heller op45 no1 : )
I'm feeling more motivated to play again... Bach was killing me... D:

lear
B
B
I'm stoked.
Just got my results for Gr3 AMEB last night, A-Honours.

I had some lessons 35yrs ago when I was 12, not having touched a piano since then, now 48 and now had 7months of lessons, and loving it. I did put in lots of practice though. Now onto Gr4, and got to get a good result there. I guess its true, you get out what you put in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by billy4030
I'm stoked.
Just got my results for Gr3 AMEB last night, A-Honours.

I had some lessons 35yrs ago when I was 12, not having touched a piano since then, now 48 and now had 7months of lessons, and loving it. I did put in lots of practice though. Now onto Gr4, and got to get a good result there. I guess its true, you get out what you put in.

Congrats! That's something to definitely be proud of! smile

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I'm just thrilled that my arm's healed enough that I'm easing back into something like a regular practice routine, & I didn't lose that much - back to learning Festive Dance & Scherzo from Alfred's Book 2, working through Hannah Smith's sight reading exercises, some Hanon, scales, triads, etc.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
L
L
Originally Posted by John_B
I don't usually have an 'achievement of the week' but I do feel a bit chuffed at the moment!

A bit of background - last December I returned to the piano after ~40 years absence (initially buying a Techics DP to test the waters, then getting Kawai CA63 DP). Even when I was playing the piano, as a teenager, I was pottering rather than systematically studying. Subsequently I seriously took up the classical guitar and have played that off and on (more off than on) over the years.

Anyway, last week my piano teacher gave me Schubert's Minuet D334 to look at, in addition to continuing to work in the interpretation of Shostakovich's Prelude in C maj (from the Op 87 set).

I found the Schubert quite difficult - the fingering and the various voices made it a real challenge for me. I concentrated on the minuet section (which seemed to me by far the most difficult) and left the trio till later.

Last night I had my lesson and started with the Schubert, playing the 'minuet' section through.

At the end my teacher was quiet (ominous, I thought) and then said 'remarkable' a few times ('remarkably bad' I wondered). He then said he would bring his mother in to hear (who is also a piano teacher) but he, correctly, thought that would make me nervous, so didn't.

He said I had done remarkably well (it's Grade 6 standard)!

Kudos!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by joyoussong
I'm just thrilled that my arm's healed enough that I'm easing back into something like a regular practice routine, & I didn't lose that much - back to learning Festive Dance & Scherzo from Alfred's Book 2, working through Hannah Smith's sight reading exercises, some Hanon, scales, triads, etc.

Might I ask what was wrong with your hand that made you stop practice?

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Getting this in an email from my teacher:

I am happy because you chose the new piece and that means that you'll practice them with even more excitement-even though I think this is not possible since you are already so enthousiastic and so responsible student :-)

I love non-native English speakers. It always sounds so much better!!

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andy Platt

I love non-native English speakers. It always sounds so much better!!

I love non-native Enlgish speakers because my job is to teach English smile
Kidding aside, isn't it great to have such clear positive feedback from our teachers?

Lilyanna: I am not familiar with Heller OP45, but I'm going to look it up! Good for you for finding something that keeps your enthusiasm up!

Billy4030 - WAY TO GO! That's pretty exciting!

joyoussoung: I had to slow down playing in February as I was straining my forearms...it drove me nuts - I can imagine your excitement at getting back to the ivories!

Seems everyone is on the verge of wraping up a pretty good week! Well done!

[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My big achievement of the week: Now that classes are over for the summer for me, but the kids are still in school, I have had the luxury of being able to spend an hour or so each morning in a quiet house in an effort to get some recording done. I managed to get good takes of two different pieces. yippie

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, what an up and down ride this piano thing can be.

Last week dogs trying to suicide on poisonous snakes and a lesson gone awry.

This week the Bach HT is proving much easier than the last Bach piece, my first sonatina is down to working on dynamics, and I've almost learned the new Tchaikovsky piece. Best of all, after the lesson I asked my teacher how hard is the Chopin A-minor Waltz and she suggested it be my next piece. Really looking forward to that. thumb

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I got my living room cleaned up after the re-roofing and the junk that came down from that smile

It's not piano, but it makes playing the piano more pleasant.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Teodor
Originally Posted by joyoussong

Might I ask what was wrong with your hand that made you stop practice?

I fell & cracked a bone up by my elbow about 7 weeks ago. Also mangled my wrist & the soft tissue in between. So I've been having physio & gradually getting it working again. I started back playing about 2 weeks ago, just for 10 minutes a day at first, mostly scales & working through old repertoire that I had been able to play. But now I'm back working on the pieces I was supposed to be learning. My teacher's on holiday right now, so I have about another 3 weeks before I'll have a lesson.
btw, sorry for the delayed answer - I'm in a different time zone, & it's been a really busy day. First chance I've had at the computer.

Carol
(Started playing July 2008)

[Linked Image]
Big achievement this week, managed to find some sheets to the lovely Genesis song "Anyway", and to my surprise managed to get the right hand down in one evening without much trouble. (Not up to speed though! Some parts are a tad tricky, like spanning a minor fifth between my 3rd and 5th finger, and more awkward fingering I have to work out :D)

The left hand is proving to be quite bothersome though, but I'll get it eventually!

Here, have a listen to the original recording;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGUV5IkyLc#t=5m22s

Having progressed this far on Anyway, I think I'm going to put it aside for awhile and continue on with the musette from the Anna Magdalena notebook, and the prelude in C from WTC.

Let's see how well I do on those.

Carol;
Really sorry to hear about your arm, but it's good to see you are slowly picking up where you left again! Good luck with it, let's hope it all heals well quickly! eek

Last edited by Pianosaurus Rex; 05/23/10 05:18 PM.

Student/apprentice technician

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Monica – how satisfying! Have you uploaded the new recordings? Which ones are they?

Jim – I just started on the Clementi sonatina too! I have managed to walk my way through it a couple of times. I made this choice on my own and will be talking to my teacher about it this week, but I think it is a great project as it incorporates so many of the exercises she’s been giving me since January. I looked at the score and thought “hey, I can do THIS!”…. I can do it…s.l.o.w.l.y. but that will pick up. It is by far the longest piece I’ve looked at, and I’m very keen. Very cool that you are moving on to Chopin as well! Sounds like you’re really doing some great work.

Jotur, - Cathy, getting your surroundings in order makes for a more tranquil frame of mind! Good for you. What are you working on these days?

Joyoussong – Another Canadian! Which time zone are you in? I’m originally from Ottawa, now in Italy - so we’re Ottawa +6 hours. Be careful with your arm – don’t over do things!

Pianosaurus Rex (love your nickname btw) – Anyway sounds like a lot of fun to play. You’ll have to let us hear it when you feel ready to perform!

My satisfaction this week came mostly from doing a TON of sight reading – and feeling that I’ve made a significant improvement, in accuracy if not in speed smile . As I mentioned above, I’m also starting in on the Clementi Sonatina. I downloaded a very simple version of it in January and last week got the score for the “real deal” –I’m very UP about this!

[Linked Image]

Pianosaurus Rex (love your nickname btw) – Anyway sounds like a lot of fun to play. You’ll have to let us hear it when you feel ready to perform!

Sure, if you want to I'll upload it, but it still needs a lot of work. The left hand is an *insert vulgar word*, and I'm still quite a bit from the original speed.
I may need to look for some better recording gear too, but I'll see what I can do.

My satisfaction this week came mostly from doing a TON of sight reading – and feeling that I’ve made a significant improvement, in accuracy if not in speed smile . As I mentioned above, I’m also starting in on the Clementi Sonatina. I downloaded a very simple version of it in January and last week got the score for the “real deal” –I’m very UP about this!

Oh, dang! I really need to do that too, I was gonna go to the library for some sheets to practise this on but I keep forgetting. =/
Might do that this afternoon! Good luck on the sonatina, by the way. wink

Student/apprentice technician

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex

Sure, if you want to I'll upload it, but it still needs a lot of work. The left hand is an *insert vulgar word*, and I'm still quite a bit from the original speed.
I may need to look for some better recording gear too, but I'll see what I can do.

I'd love to hear where you are with it. As for being at the "original speed"...I'm in slow motion for the moment, still very much just getting the feel of it.

Where in particular are you finding the left hand awkward?
Maybe we should start a thread for newbies to this piece!

Originally Posted by Pianosaurus Rex

I was gonna go to the library for some sheets to practise this on but I keep forgetting. =/
Might do that this afternoon! Good luck on the sonatina, by the way. wink

I wonder if I can get pieces from the library? I will have to check.
I use the links in the sticky post at the top of this forum for a lot of my sight reading music.

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 540 1 2 3 4 5 6 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission