2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 139 of 540 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 539 540
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat
Um....

Everyone's being very supportive. That's nice.

You're being given the chance to do something musical that's outside your comfort zone. You're being offered coaching by someone who may be coming from a quite different direction than you expect. And this is a request from your employer.

Are you going to run scared? Or are you going to be a "can do" person?

Wombat. Frank advice is one thing, but saying Carlos is "running scared" if he chooses to pass on this is way over the top IMO. Perhaps you will show us your hastily prepared pop combo's debut performance in front of 500 or your colleages and bosses? We are all dying to see that "can do" in action.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by JimF
Um....

Everyone's being very supportive. That's nice.

You're being given the chance to do something musical that's outside your comfort zone. You're being offered coaching by someone who may be coming from a quite different direction than you expect. And this is a request from your employer.

Are you going to run scared? Or are you going to be a "can do" person?

Wombat. Frank advice is one thing, but saying Carlos is "running scared" if he chooses to pass on this is way over the top IMO. Perhaps you will show us your hastily prepared pop combo's debut performance in front of 500 or your colleages and bosses? We are all dying to see that "can do" in action.

They're not being thrown in sink-or-swim. Support and training is being provided. The instigator is a musician. If it doesn't come together, competent people will recognise it, and make the decision whether to go ahead.

This is a definite "have a try" situation. Loads to gain, nothing to lose.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

This is a definite "have a try" situation. Loads to gain, nothing to lose.

Maybe it is my pessimistic nature showing, but I see lots to lose, very little to gain. If the performance goes okay, the pianist will tend to get little credit. Only if the pianist mucks up badly will he be noticed with a band and singer.

The training, is two or three rehearsals. That isn't very much for amateur musicians and a singer that have never performed together. Certainly, pros are used to that quick cycle, and the director/coach may be used to that level of professionalism and may get frustrated by amateurs.

You are assuming they will pull the plug if it doesn't seem to be coming together, but we don't know. We don't know what the equipment will be like, the sound person, the piano. Will the piano be in tune or a piece of dreck, or perhaps an unfamiliar digital rig?

What about the other musicians? The singer? Are they all hobbyists? If everyone is a hobbyist that's a recipe for a lot of stress and a lot of mistakes. Other mixes aren't that much better, if the pianist is the strongest or weakest musician in the group that isn't a great recipe either.

If musicians aren't used to performing with a singer and a band, there is tons to learn, that experienced musicians and pros take for granted. Two or three short rehearsals by amateurs that have never played together is unlikely to be enough.

A lot gets assumed by others. When someone sees me with my whistle, they expect me to be able to play certain tunes at a certain level, and are disappointed and even quizzical when I can't. Band musicians are used to other band mates being able to do certain things quickly.

For example, a singer says take it up a step, that's too low for me, and an experienced accompanist will do so immediately without hesitation. For a pianist that never plays with live singers, transposing an unfamiliar piece on the fly is a near impossible task. That's just one example.

While ExaltedWombat might want to give it a go in the same situation, I would vote nay just like Carlos did (and I tend to be a peacock in terms of wanting to perform in public). I would not see it as running scared, but more of a practical and reasonable decision where there is no right or wrong answer.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Oh dear, how negative! Yes, loads of things could go wrong. But, unlike a TV talent show, you're not being set up to fail and be ridiculed. There may be BIG points to be scored with the employer. Employers like team workers with a can-do attitude.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have to agree with the nay sayers on the group performance. It sounds hastily put together at best with a lot of unknowns. CarlosCC, I think saying no is a good decision. Even for a seasoned performer this sounds problematic.

Farmgirl- It sounds like your new teacher is already very helpful. That is great! I had the same experience when I changed to my new teacher as well. A different approach can sometimes open the door to progress. It sounds like you have quite the challenging list of pieces to work on!

pg2- It sounds like you are having fun with your teacher as well. I cannot imagine learning two instruments at once. Keep us posted on viola progress.

Toastie- I am glad to hear that you had a much calmer lesson and are feeling good about your progress. Being able to relax in lessons really makes a difference.

I am without lessons for another two weeks (teacher vacation), and I really miss it. I am plugging away at Bach and Chopin. This week I discovered I could easily reach the three note 9th's in the nocturne, which was a surprise. 9th's used to be a stretch. I also figured out how to play a 10th in the LH. I have relatively small hands so I never thought I would have that kind of stretch. So, I guess my flexibility has improved.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Sand Tiger, Toastie, E. Wombat, JimF and SwissMS.
Some words on your comments:
HR person is a kind person and he didn't push us to do that. It's clear and understood by everyone that this is a proposal, so we can say "yes" or "no". He explained that there may be risks, so we are "free" to take our decision (he did not put us any ultimatum)...
As everyone is a hobbyist, I think 2 or 3 rehearsals it's not enough to do a proper work. We don't know anything about the instruments or the technical people. We don't know nothing about each other as musicians...

E. Wombat, I understand what you mean, but I'm not "running scared" and I've nothing to gain. Why? I explain.
First, my musical objective is not to perform to an audience of +600 people. Now, that means 0 (zero) to me.

Second. Music is, for me, an intimate activity which supposes that I have pleasure doing it. In adition, when I play to "public" I fell that I'm giving something to others. And that's because I'm full engaged with the music I'm playing.

Third, It means nothing to me to have a TV Superstar, or someone else, guiding me when we don't have any connection or similar musical preferences.

So, this event does not full fill any of my objectives and I was not going to gain anything.

You can think that's weird, but I've much more enthusiasm when I'm preparing a piece to ABF Recital or when I'm recording some pieces to do an audio-CD for my mom's birthday, than entering this show.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Carlos, I would not have done it either. Last year I was approached by one of the VPs in my company to play in a town hall event held in a large hall since we have at least 2,000 + employees in the valley. They wanted to have someone play music (make noise) to fill the waiting time for our CEO to arrive at the location after we exhausted all the agenda items. Boy, was I glad that i did not do it. The CEO did not arrive on time. We had to wait for him more than 45 min. The employees who took the challenge (oldie's songs with guitar and other instruments) wound up playing the same song over and over again. It was painful to listen to them and i bet painful to perform. At least, they were involving the audience by asking them to sing along, clap hands with the music etc. I don't know what I could have done. I would have needed to play whole prelude and fugue from WTC or Chopin etudes to fill up that much time. I cannot imagine to play one piece over and over again..

SwissMS, Carlos and everyone else - thank you for your kind words. Besides changing teachers, it's so nice to have a lesson on Friday. It was killing me to have to go to lessons in the middle of the week - at 3:00 PM Arizona time on Wednesdays. It's 6:00 PM NY time, so I managed to get away with it (meaning most of NY people are already gone or preparing to leave for the day). I work predominantly with NY folks. But I was never able to prepare for the lessons and not in the mood to play. Friday 4:00 PM works much better. I am very excited since today is my lesson:)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, thanks for sharing your story. In addition to all the things that could go wrong, those meetings have always changes in agenda and I had not even thought of that.
I loved the term "make noise", very funny! But I don't believe that applies to you. smile
Glad you managed to change the time of your lesson.

SwissMS - I'm happy with your achievement with those 9th. I've small hands too, so I know how important is to get the right movement.

Last edited by CarlosCC; 08/24/12 10:43 AM. Reason: SwissMS comment

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
CarlosCC - I'll have to agree with you, much as it would have been fun to do and a great challenge. But I play out a lot, and recently spent 4 months putting together a monthly gig with a singer, and it was a *lot* of work to do to play together (even tho we do in another band) and we never were really quite ready, even tho we got invited back. I agree, more than 2 or 3 practices were needed in order to not be really sloppy, particularly with more than just the 2 of us (we tried that, too). I loved doing it, but it was really not together. I think non-musicians think musicians are magic and can just play anything. But we never really got our transitions right, I'd mess up a modulation while she was changing her capo, she'd come in a beat early during the vamp, or want to put a fancy ending on to which she didn't know the chords and I was supposed to just follow, etc.

Plus, of course, for you it wasn't music that in and of itself was appealing. It was my kind of music, but I would have had to learn those particular songs. Or, as more likely, make up an accompaniment.

Yeah, for me 3 months would have been more like it. And my solo work would have been sadly neglected, as it was for my duo/group gigs.

So while this would have been a fun challenge, I think it would have been more frustrating in this particular instance. Too bad. Had the HR person been able to allow you folks to tweak her idea - maybe only one song with one accompanist, and a series of solos by others to fill out the time, the music for this gig might have been a blast. She had a great idea, just not an idea of what it would take to execute.

I'm sure glad you're in the ABF recitals, tho smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Carlos and others, learning to say no is one of the more difficult things for some people. It doesn't seem like the case for Carlos, as he seems to have a strong sense of self and musical goals.

As for my Week 24, hard to believe it is about six months since the Yamaha NP11 arrived. In some ways I have accomplished so much, and in many ways it feels like I have only progressed a virtually inch. Of course, on piano (and other endeavors) both statements are true.

I again see my friend, Alan DiCenzo, a former concert pianist, perform live. He mostly does his original works. The complexity and layers and dexterity are amazing. One noteworthy piece is one that he dreamed about, the only time he has composed that way. The dream piece is a different style from his others. However, it is very much in the style that his late mom used to write. I've had similar experiences in songwriting.

I see an old TV clip of The Rolling Stones on the Ed Sullivan Show and that motivates me to want to learn Paint It Black. It is a relatively simple tune on the piano. I find a YouTube video. The tutorial has me going past my 61-keys for the first time, with a B-octave chord on the left hand. It also goes a bit too fast for me and doesn't hit every note in the melody line. The YouTube guy also has larger hands so some things that are easy for him are difficult for me. My rendition sounds poor and clumsy, but it is only a few days in.

I work on two new original pieces. Not sure if I will polish them up to the finish. Lucky Penny is more upbeat in rhythm and inspired by lyrics from the 50/90 forum. Secret Rendezvous is inspired by lyrics from The Muses Muse forum, and is in the simple style of last week's piece Simply Beautiful. After spending 14 weeks on Ashokan Farewell, these shorter term projects are a good change of pace.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
I'll have to agree with you. (...) So while this would have been a fun challenge, I think it would have been more frustrating in this particular instance.

That's exactly what I think. Thanks for sharing your story. I never played with a singer - only with my daughter smile - but I can imagine the effort and the work needed to do a decent show.

Originally Posted by Sand Tiger
Carlos and others, learning to say no is one of the more difficult things for some people. It doesn't seem like the case for Carlos, as he seems to have a strong sense of self and musical goals.

thumb It's true. I tend to be very solid in my ideas and goals.

Sand Tiger, I have an attraction by original compositions. Moreover when they are made ​​by people that I "know". I'm curious to hear these new pieces.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
My achivement was at my lesson this week, where I played all the way throught the 3rd page Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata 1st movement; it was quite unexpected we had prevously played up to the 3rd page, but not beyond. While practicing I started to venture into next page and I had a question on how to play the C#- D interval, then we spent the rest of the lesson playing until the end. Now he expects to hear the entire movement next lesson, yikes! better get off piano world and back to my piano as there is so much to work on.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Congratulations on your progress, Irene.

On our analysis thread of this movement we looked briefly at taking the B in measure 8 with the LH. Wayne33yrs was going to show us, but didn't get round to it, a technique for bars 16 and 18 which I expected to be taking both the B in 15 and the C in 16 using LH. Would you mind telling us what technique you now use for this parallel passage?

You could post it here or in the thread itself Moonlight Sonata analysis

I'd be much obliged.

Richard

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ciao tutti! I've been away from home for 5 weeks, so not playing much and not checking in at PW much either.
I spent 2 weeks in Canada with my sister and her family, my hubby joined me near the end of that visit, then we met up with his brother and sister-in-law, and enjoyed some time in San Francisco and Napa Valley, then back to Canada to see the rest of the family. It was a very long trip - fun, but it is good to be home!

The week is really not started, so nothing achieved...except that I enjoyed playing after my extended absence!

While I was visiting my sister, I had some wonderful piano time with my 11 year old niece. We managed to play a few duets from her books, and I introduced her to my Rag Time Do-Si-Do piece (Martha Meirs book 1 Rags, Jazz and Blues),(I played the left hand, she played the right,--- LOTS of fun!) I also got to go to her piano lesson. We also shared our favourite pieces with each other, a sort of private recitale 1-1 (with my sister listening in the background) It was wonderful. We also made ravioli .... I am passing on a family tradition! I used to make them with my Italian grandmother, but my sister didn't. I'm the only one in our family who still makes pasta. I hope my niece will continue the tradition.

After that, I had 3 solid weeks away from piano, and then at my cousin's place I tried to play something and had total brain fog! I could not remember a single piece! I was a bit disconcerted by that, but put it down to having been so completely involved in the other things I'd been up to, which is not a bad thing.

I can see there have been a lot of posts in our ATOW thread and I will catch up on my reading soon! I am curious as to what everyone is excited about at this point in time!!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Hey Cheryl, I am excited you are back. I enjoyed everyone's post but it was not the same without you. I had lots of excitement, good or bad, in the last six months. Let's see.. I wasn't laid off (phew! it was tough 6 months), reunited with my girl friend / first US piano teacher after 17 years, changed piano teacher and changed church.

It was fabulous to be with my girl friend. I haven't had such sheer satisfaction from just talking from anyone else. I felt like we just parted with each other yesterday. We were talking until 3 am everyday. She has two grand piano, Baldwin and Mason Hamlin. We played (more like she played and I faked) Rachmaninoff, Brahms and Bach. It was great. At the same time, it acutely reminded me that I probably needed to change a teacher to someone like her.

IMHO my piano teacher for the past 4 years is an excellent teacher for children and adults up to 12 years of piano lessons. After that, I think it will be better to change teachers. I learned from her a lot. She helped me fix bad habits and really helped me to get the basic correct. However, the downside is that she does too much hand holding. She put all the fingerings and the expression marks for me. It's fine if you are child but it won't make you an independent pianist. When it was getting too much as my piece got bigger, she started to push me to buy the one's with expression marks even though I have Urtext Henle editions for the same thing. I did not agree with her interpretations at times but I had to go with hers.

My new teacher is my girlfriend's friend who also has DMA. She is an excellent performer as well. We met in the same University (my major was not music) 20+ years ago. I actually took lessons from her for 3 months after my girlfriend moved away to SF area. Why I quit? It's just I got busy with new work, CPA exam, etc etc etc. When I decided to come back second time, I did not think I would ever be able to practice seriously. So I just toss a coin and picked the one closest to my house. At least she has bachelor's in Piano performance. As I said above, it turned out to be much better than I expected. It's just now is the time to move on.

I already see a stark difference with my new teacher. in our first lesson she told me to try to put my own fingering and show her how I would play in the f minor fugue from WTC book II. I had my second lesson and she told me to sight read through the prelude part from the beginning to the end. She told me where she disagreed with my fingerings and interpretations and why. I like the fact we can discuss our approach. Also the expectation is totally different. She asked me if I read through the fugue part. I gasped and said "no". She said "why not" and she would like me to start reading as much as possible. It really forced me to be independent. Before with my old teacher, we did it 3 lines at a time. And I did not need to think about anything. I showed up and she did everything for me. I now have to think about how I want to play. I realized that I kind of like that approach. I don't think I was ready for it 4 years ago but now I feel comfortable doing that. Anyway it's my update. Oh, also I don't need to practice Christmas songs or being on the piano ensemble playing some piece I don't like. I like duet itself but don't like to do it with 20 other people on stage.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
FarmGirl, it's good to read your update. You sound so much happier and satisfied. I'm happy for you.

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
M
M
FarmGirl, I'm so happy your new teacher is working out so well for you.

Casinitaly, I'm glad you had a wonderful trip, and had the opportunity to play with your niece. That must have been so fun!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome back C. thumb

I was getting grumpy without your calming influence around here. laugh

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
I am now caught up with reading all the posts I missed. What a lot of action in a few weeks! Great to hear everyone's updates!

FarmGirl, I'm particularly happy tohear you did not get laid off, and that you have renewed an old friendship AND you've got a new teacher you are so very pleased with!!!!! That's just fantastic.

MaryAnn - it was indeed fun to play with my niece. I was particularly thrilled because last year we couldn't manage to play together ---- neither one of us had enough experience to manage the necessary coordination!
This year was a whole new game.

Jim, smile You made me laugh! I don't think you've been grumpy, but it is always nice to know one has been missed.

It is good to be back!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cas, really nice to have you back. Your post made me hungry for Italian food.

Page 139 of 540 1 2 137 138 139 140 141 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission