2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, 6 invisible), 2,122 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In case there is any confusion, stretch tuning can go with equal or unequal temperaments. They don't mean the same thing.

The reason for equal temperament in keyboards is in order to divide up the twelve semitones in the octave equally so that no key sounds worse than another when you play a scale. In order to achieve that, thirds are all slightly sharp and fifths are all slightly flat. Other intervals are likewise all slightly off the mathematical ratios.

But we've all got used to that over centuries....

If music be the food of love, play on!
You are right, Bennevis, stretching and scale tuning (temperament) are independent pitch modifying patterns and should be freely and conveniently combinable which is not implemented yet in this manner with most of todays SW Pianos.

One could easily define a feature list what should be implemented with all of DPs as a minimal requirement (I could) , because these are very straightforward programming tasks. Marketing departments see temperament features often as one part of their playground area where they can let disable some of these features in software to provide cheaper instruments and to support prices of higher end ones. (While this practise is perhaps not a scandal, but the conscious customer should be at least aware of this.)

We had a previous topic where most of these questions were explored in detail:Temperament questions

One more remark here: the smaller your acoustic is the wider the applyied stretching is. (Mostly because due to the heavily copper-wired bass strings the image is more distant from the ideal sinus wave overtones series).

Acoustic: own clavichord!, Burger&Jacoby,Biel (nice vintage vertical)
Digital: CA65; Pianoteq; Sampled:Galaxy VintageD+Vienna(Bösendorfer)
Sampletekk Black,PMI, etc...
Harpsi: Beurmann Dutch+Sampletekk, Clavichord:PMI+Wavelore+organs
J
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I found p. 80 in my Roland FP-4 manual with directions to reset my tuning back to the default setting of "equal" temperament.

Press Function Key then Piano key. There were 7 choices:
1. Equal
2. Just Major
3. Just Minor
4.Kimberger
5. MeanTone
6. Pythagorean
7. Werchmeister

It seems to make a difference, but I'll keep playing chords from my Grieg and Schumann pieces and listen for a few days.

B
B
Originally Posted by joangolfing
I found p. 80 in my Roland FP-4 manual with directions to reset my tuning back to the default setting of "equal" temperament.

Press Function Key then Piano key. There were 7 choices:
1. Equal
2. Just Major
3. Just Minor
4.Kimberger
5. MeanTone
6. Pythagorean
7. Werchmeister

It seems to make a difference, but I'll keep playing chords from my Grieg and Schumann pieces and listen for a few days.

Do you know which temperament your FP-4 was set to when you thought it sounded out of tune?
Some of the unequal temperaments are more 'extreme' than others, but if you play music predominantly in one key, you may well like the unequal temperament - thirds and fifths are much more 'in tune' and mellifluous-sounding - provided the temperament key (C is the default) is the same as that of the music.

Unless we play (or have heard a good musician play) a string instrument like the violin (where the pitch of notes can be infinitely varied), many of us have never heard what a third with a frequency ratio of 1:1.25 or a fifth with 1:1.5 sounds like.......it can sound odd, or olde worlde folksy wink .

B
B
Have a listen to these examples: http://youtu.be/VRlp-OH0OEA and see what you think.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission