2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, 10 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I've no idea why VH did what he did there, but when I read the strength conservation theory I actually laughed out loud.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I think he did it just for fun.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Joel_W
I think he did it just for fun.

That's a lot more possible than to conserve energy. ha

But IMO not very possible.

BTW, I'm not sure why y'all feel so unsure about why he did it, because we can hear what the effect is. When there's a distinct effect like that, I kinda think it was because he wanted that effect. smile

That gets to the whole thing about "cheats." I think maybe many people assume that the reason for doing them is just to make something easier, maybe often because someone feels he can't play it "as written." I'm saying that often it has to do with the effect you want, and how to best create it.

B
B
Horowitz frequently rewrites passages to get the effect he wanted. For instance, there's the concluding upward scale passage in Chopin's Scherzo No.1 which he plays as interlocking octaves......even in his old age.

Of course, there's always the possibility that he is conserving his energy (a few calories, no doubt wink ) playing that scale like that, rather than as a normal two-handed scale we youngsters would do....

If music be the food of love, play on!
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Maybe he just didn't feel like leaning to the right.

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by carey
Of course, we're all entitled to our opinions - but in reality, we'll never know Horowitz's motivation for doing this.

Maybe, but I have no doubt. smile

And I'd guess (with doubt, however) ha ....that you don't either, at least broadly.

I have no doubt that he did it for effect. (And I said what I thought the effect was, but never mind.) grin
Do you doubt that? Do you think there's any possibility he left out a few of the last few notes of a left hand scale to conserve strength, or any other such thing?

Nah - you're right !! No doubt whatsoever !! I figured he was doing it for effect - rather than conserving strength. ha

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Well now I have no idea what you're being serious about or not, even with the exclamation marks and haha, maybe especially because of them! ha

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Whatever the reason, it sounded better when he didn't do it.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Damon
Whatever the reason, it sounded better when he didn't do it.

The scale in the Polonaise?

If that's what you mean, I don't agree. It gives a very "special effect" which IMO adds to the performance.

Well now I have no idea what you're being serious about or not, even with the exclamation marks and haha, maybe especially because of them! ha

I'm actually agreeing with you. Seriously - why else would he do it ??

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....Seriously - why else would he do it ??

Well yeah! grin
But I wondered when you said "we'll never know Horowitz's motivation for doing this"....

....Seriously - why else would he do it ??

Well yeah! grin
But I wondered when you said "we'll never know Horowitz's motivation for doing this"....

I had more time to think about it. cool

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
J
Mark, I'm not sure why you think it's obvious that he did it for effect. His live performance I referenced at Lincoln Center was not very good-lots of mistakes, and he was several years older when that video was made in Moscow. No disrespect to Master VL intended; he was just at the end of his career. When you get older, you'll discover that you lose flexibility and need to conserve your strength more. I AM glad, though, that a few of you found my comments entertaining.

Originally Posted by jdott
When you get older, you'll discover that you lose flexibility and need to conserve your strength more.

Do you mean older than sixty something?????? grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
J
That's exactly what I mean.

Originally Posted by jdott
That's exactly what I mean.

Great - that means its probably downhill for me from now on.....

Fortunately, I can still get through the Opus 53 just fine..... smile

Last edited by carey; 01/22/13 06:35 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
J
Me too, but I'm pretty sure Horowitz was at least 80 when that video was made.

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Seems to me that the image of Horowitz and what he was is fading. I think that to those of us who were around for any amount of his lifetime, the idea that he left out those few notes near the top of the LH scale for anything except effect is fairly unthinkable, and the fact that some people wonder about it seems unfathomable.

I'm not saying this would apply to any and all such changes that he might have ever made. I can imagine at least the possibility that some of them might have been to make it 'easier' to play or (at least at some points in his very late years, but not at the time of this performance) to "conserve energy." But this particular thing?? Absolutely not. Look at what it is, for chrissake ha -- a straight scale. And look at what else he does in this performance. Does it seem like he's anywhere close to running short on energy? Is it not the case that he does play lots and lots of other things in the piece that are much harder, from any standpoint, and much more taxing of energy?

The answer is yes. The idea that he did it for anything but to achieve a desired and original effect is (sorry folks) smile ludicrous.

J
J
Mark, let's be objective-that wasn't a very good performance. I've got a lot of his recordings from the 1930's to present, and when I noticed a change it was adding notes and/or difficulty to a piece. As several people said, we'll all never know; we should just enjoy his legacy

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I've now done some research on this to be able to comment appropriately. For those who don't know (I didn't before looking it up), this concert took place on June 1, 1987. It was one of the last appearances Horowitz ever made; the last public recital occurring on June 21, 1987, just 20 days later. Horowitz died 2 years and 5 months after this performance.

The Polonaise was the final piece he played of an 80-minute program, though he played three encores after.

It is unfortunate that I was never able to see Horowitz live. The first live classical concert I saw was just a couple years after his death. However, in reading much about his final years as a performer, it seems well-documented that, in his 80's, he substituted finesse and coloring for bravura. I wouldn't say he was completely incapable of technical feats. As Mark points out, there are many difficult feats surrounding those scales that he accomplished with seemingly little effort. Indeed, the scale itself-- if he can play the first three octaves without a problem, undoubtedly he could have played the last four notes.

So, I tend to lean on the side that this was for coloration.. a desired effect that, for whatever reason, he chose. It seems to me, in listening, that it makes the very top of the scale a little clearer, that it "rings out" a little better when the other notes drop out. Was Horowitz less mobile and hence unable to lean over, as suggested, in order to bring this out while playing both hands? Possibly not. He still played the top note in the left hand. Was it his use of pedal that made him decide to drop those few notes in favor of a certain clarity? Possibly. There's a thousand reasons why he might have decided to drop those notes. But I don't think any of those reasons start with the fact that he couldn't finish the scale of which he'd already played three octaves..

What I do find amazing is that Horowitz made between $650,000 and $750,000 (in today's money) on that one concert date (ticket receipts). You'd think for $750k, he could have played the extra four notes.. laugh

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission