2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,726 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by jdott
My apologies if I breached some etiquette of this site. Yes, Chopin did write that he envied Liszt's skills, but he was ill and weakened from TB probably the last ten years of his life. I've read several accounts of his formidable concertizing skills in his youth.

Please, jdott - no apologies. smile You didn't breach a thing. You're simply bringing your questions and insights to a topic that interests you, and that's what PW is (or should be) all about.

J
J
Thank you. I'm 65-does that still make you the 'Old Man?'

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Old Man
You didn't breach a thing.

For some of us, he did. I have an intense dislike of zombie threads, and I know there are many others who feel the same.

The very concept of a forum is dependent on the interaction of current users. That fact seems to be lost on a number of the current users.

If it were my forum, I'd be looking for some automated method of locking dormant threads. If someone was desperate to add on to some ancient stuff, they could simply start a new thread and give a link to the old one they wanted to reference in the first post. Or, if it was just some single posting that they wanted to respond to, they could just copy and paste whatever was relevant.

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O

Well, um, I'll be 63 in a few weeks. Care to swap monikers? grin

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber

Well, um, I'll be 63 in a few weeks. Care to swap monikers? grin

Hah! Young whippersnappers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by wr
You didn't breach a thing.

For some of us, he did. I have an intense dislike of zombie threads, and I know there are many others who feel the same.

The very concept of a forum is dependent on the interaction of current users. That fact seems to be lost on a number of the current users.

If it were my forum, I'd be looking for some automated method of locking dormant threads. If someone was desperate to add on to some ancient stuff, they could simply start a new thread and give a link to the old one they wanted to reference in the first post. Or, if it was just some single posting that they wanted to respond to, they could just copy and paste whatever was relevant.

How exactly has the "interaction of current users" been impeded? Just today we've had the following people post to this thread:

jdott
AldenH
Mark C
RealPlayer
beet31425
pianoloverus
argerichfan
Tararex
Damon
Old Man
wr

All of the above are current users (1/18/2013 seems fairly current to me, anyway). The title of the thread is clearly visible. The only difference I see between this "zombie" thread and a "current" thread is that this thread contains comments that have an earlier time stamp.

So what is the source of your "intense dislike"? Other than these time stamps, and the names of people who may or may not still be posting, I'm not sure how how this thread differs from a current thread. The differences seem so superficial, I can't believe it's such an issue for you and the "many others who feel the same." I'm certainly no genius, but even I can handle time stamps.

J
J
There does seem to still be interest in this, and thanks for the support, Gramps. Any idea what is considered a 'zombie thread?"

Thanks

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Any idea what is considered a 'zombie thread?'

Good question. No concrete definition of course, but I should think any thread that is at least 8 years old would qualify, especially as the majority of times subsequent threads may have covered the same territory.

But I don't really have a problem with threads that may be as old as 2 years, particularly if there is something pertinent to add, as in the case here.

As I indicated earlier, the Franz Liszt Appreciation Thread might lie fallow for several months, but that does not mean we shouldn't revive it when there is something new and exciting to add.

And not to mention some threads which had a very short shelf life at the time. Why not revive them if there are new members or older ones with fresh input?

Jason
Originally Posted by beet31425
....the rest of us (the majority I think, sorry Mark) who resent the confusion between living and historical conversations.

Confusion? I didn't think there's much confusion except maybe to the very new people. As the line goes in Annie Get Your Gun....

....all you have to do is look! smile

Just take a look at the date on the 1st post. Or the last ones before the new one.

A big clue, which almost always gives it away to me even before I click: A thread that doesn't look at all familiar but which has multiple posts and many hundreds or thousands of views.

And as for the n00bs, nothing we do will keep THEM from being confused. ha

I know, because when I first came here, there were thousands of things that confused me. For starters, how about the thing that has the name "Adult Beginners Forum".....

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
....Posting on an old thread is no different, I think, from opening up an old magazine or book one has saved....

Interesting analogy, and maybe it's no accident that I love that too. Almost always when I find an old magazine or newspaper that I've 'saved' by accident (by having put it some place where it then just failed to get thrown away.....excuse me, I mean recycled) ha ....I virtually always find everything in it fascinating, on a lot of levels. Even/maybe especially the ads. And the older the better.

It's also always a fascinating experience to thumb through the old magazines in antique shops. I find myself half-wanting to buy them ALL. What keeps me from it is that I realize there'd be no end to it.

Originally Posted by Tararex
I'm with you Mark.

And I'm with you! grin

....The assumption that newer members are unable to understand the concept of "date stamps" on old threads is a bit odd to say the least....

....but I'm not surprised at all that they often can't. What surprises me is that many older members don't seem easily to be able to tell. Likewise, that many older members don't seem easily able to tell which post a post is replying to (since except when posts are default-ly labeled as replying to the OP, it is shown at the top of the post.)

....it's always been a puzzler to me. Some, such as yourself, believe that old threads should not be resurrected, and yet I've seen new OPs chewed out for raising subjects that have already been hashed and rehashed a "million times before".

Which is it, folks?....

Great job. Love it. smile

Which indeed?

I think all it means is:

-- You can't make everybody happy. And....
-- One's opinions (probably anyone's opinions) aren't necessarily consistent.

My apologies if I breached some etiquette of this site....

No worries, I don't think. I doubt anyone really thinks you did. smile

How exactly has the "interaction of current users" been impeded? Just today we've had the following people post to this thread:

jdott
AldenH
Mark C
RealPlayer
beet31425
pianoloverus
argerichfan
Tararex
Damon
Old Man
wr

All of the above are current users....

It's more that that -- it's the PW Hall of Fame! ha

Originally Posted by argerichfan
Any idea what is considered a 'zombie thread?'

Good question. No concrete definition of course, but I should think any thread that is at least 8 years old would qualify...

But not 7 years and 364 days? grin

My opinion of what's a zombie thread: NONE.

BTW, what's much more offensive and contrary to etiquette is when somebody does like 8 posts in a row. ha

(Sorry folks, didn't even realize -- was just hanging' out.) smile

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Mark_C
As the line goes in Annie Get Your Gun....

I read once -cannot recall when or where- that 'Annie Get Your Gun' has produced more standards than any other Broadway musical.

A lot of other info about Annie in the book 'Eiffel's Tower' by Jill Jonnes. She was quite prominently featured in the Paris 1889 World's Fair.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

And not to mention some threads which had a very short shelf life at the time. Why not revive them if there are new members or older ones with fresh input?

Hear hear!

The new posts in Pianist Corner have been a little slow lately (or maybe it's just my perception), so I was happy to re-read this thread with some input from someone who was unable to post before.

I think it's nice to point out to new people if they try to answer a specific question that was asked years ago. I guess that may be a candidate for a "zombie thread". But otherwise, what's the harm? I don't think people would decide not to respond to a thread with a recent creation date because they already responded to an old thread.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
J
J
Sorry argerichfan (I also think she's terrific), but I'm still confused. The original post was Aug of 2008, then it jumped to July 2012. Why would some people be upset over 5 months when the earlier gap spanned almost four years? As an aside, I thought this was a pretty lively discussion. Thanks

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
lol, fully derailed thread. nice.

Sort of on topic, someone said there aren't any modern day Liszts, and it's also been mentioned that pianists now have different focus and all. I disagree. Let's just look at Marc-Andre Hamelin. He learns bookshelves full of music, and records giant stacks of CDs. How long do you think it takes him to learn these pieces? My guess is he can play most of them perfectly or near perfectly on the first try.

And really, it's not just him. A lot of young rising stars these days have a crazy amount of repertoire. I've seen a list of the repertoire that some kid at Curtis learned in 1 year, and it averages to something like 30 minutes per week of new repertoire (all difficult stuff obviously), which they have to polish and perform in a very short timespan. The only way to learn that quickly is if you only need to play through a few times to have it completely down.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission