2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
TBAF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone.

I've been a 'lurker' on this fine forum for many months now. Ever since I got serious about learning piano again, following a 20 year break coinciding with me finishing school.

Long evenings at home while my wife is at work, and my near 4-year-old Son is in bed, I found myself plucking away at my guitar, and rekindled some sort of serious interest in learning to play music again. While I've always been able to turn my hand to a guitar, I've always been extremely envious of anybody who was able to play piano. I've finally decided I'm going to go for it.

I find some of the stories on here of people returning to piano after many years really inspirational, and it was part of the driving force which made me go out and finally buy my new digital piano today. I hope I will be able to continue to find solace and a bit of inspiration when I inevitably 'hit the wall' at some point.

I've gone for the Yamaha P35. I've read the mixed reviews on both here and other sites, but weighing up what I need, what I can afford, and what are merely bells and whistles to the beginner ear, I think I've made the right choice. We don't have the space in our house for anything which can occupy a permanent space, so this is the only option I could convince my sceptical wife of!!!

I'm not in a position to have lessons with a local teacher yet. So I've managed to lay my hand on the complete set of 'Play It Today' piano course, on cassette and booklet. Published by Orbis Publishing in the UK back in the '80's, I had the first couple of editions as a kid, but the lack of a proper piano at home and school limited my ability to practice enough, and I quickly packed it in (to much regret). Now though, it's something which I think can keep me on the straight and narrow while I learn the basic skills.

Wish me luck!

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Welcome!

You may notice as I have as you travel around 'pool that there are a heck of a lot of pianos everywhere you go, in pubs community centres etc.

They are out of tune but once you look you see them everywhere.

T
TBAF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have actually. It's like you subconsciously look for them.

I reckon the street-pianos in Liverpool City Centre last summer reignited some kind of desire to play again within me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome TBAF! I'm in the Pool as well! I thought the street pianos last summer were nice to see- many people playing them. Hope you have many great evenings with your Yamaha.

I also like the piano in Mello Mello- it actually gets tuned!

And there's an old Van Gruisen, Liverpool made piano ( same make as mine) upstairs in Leaf Tea.

Last edited by EdwardianPiano; 01/19/13 08:32 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Welcome to the forum TBAF. The Yamaha P35 sounds like a fine choice given your situation (4-year kid, no permanent place for the piano).

Good luck on your journey.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome TBAF - good luck but first and foremost: lots and lots of FUN!
Enjoy your piano journey.

"The creative process is nothing but a series of crises."
(Isaac B. Singer)

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Hello TBAF smile
If you've been lurking here I'm sure you know what a great and friendly place you have found. Congratulations on your new piano. I hope that it gives you many years of great joy. And who knows, your son may even get the bug to play too when he sees your example. Anyway, a hearty welcome to the forum and wishes for a successful piano journey ahead.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, TBAF! smile What kind of music do you want to most learn to play?

S
S
Welcome TBAF. I'm an off and on lurker myself.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
T
TBAF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks Monika.

Initially, it's to be able to play along to pop/folk songs (Coldplay, REM, Ray Lamontagne etc). I'm a Paul Weller fan. My wedding dance was You Do Something To Me, and I'm setting a goal to play that for my wife on our next anniversary in August (soppy, I know)!

As a schoolboy, I sat music exams, and would love to learn more skilful classical pieces. The popular Moonlight Sonata has always been a favourite.

So a mix of targets really. It's got to be challenging, but enjoyable too.

T
TBAF Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the message fizikisto.

I must admit, I intend to be a bit more proactive in encouraging my children (we have another on the way) to take up music and learn instruments. I think it makes people generally more rounded.

It also helped as a bargaining tool in laying out the cash to buy it!!!

Last edited by TBAF; 01/20/13 06:00 PM.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission