2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,289 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
I listened. And then pulled up four examples of this piece performed by my favorites to determine what was different.

Berezovsky presented a passively cool interpretation that was consistent throughout. Listening to it immediately evoked unexpected memories. Gray days in distant lands appeared in my thoughts. Memories of complex times far from friends and family and months where sanity demanded a complete tamping of emotions. I hadn't thought of those times in many years.

I'm having difficulty assigning a "worst" tag to a performance so powerful even if it doesn't adhere to the standard Chopin paradigm of emotionally lush melancholy.

Could it be that a "worst interpretation" is sometimes one that doesn't match the audience's interpretive expectations? And if so, does this actuality stifle a professional artist?

Last edited by Tararex; 09/19/12 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I fail to see the usefulness of making sport of putting people's bad days on display.

And seriously...calling that video of Berezovsky the worst rendition of something makes me want to never post a video of any of my playing here on PianoWorld ever.

The world is not a competition and we are not its jury. I'd hate to see PianoWorld become the same kind of adolescent cesspool of criticism that YouTube has become.

ugh...

Hear hear! (no pun intended)

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense."
- Gertrude Stein
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Pogorelich.
Originally Posted by FSO
Originally Posted by Pogorelich

One can easily consider the important factors of music without highlighting someone's "bad" performances. It creates more negativity than the contrary.

I never said it was the best way, I'm only suggesting that, perhaps, we could try to take the best from the worst, if you will? There's no negativity spare when negativity is intended; an artist should be able admit their faults and we shouldn't feel ashamed for agreeing with them or pointing them out in the first place; I mean, um, when I foul up I don't mind being told so, I don't mind it being mocked even. Maybe I'm hasty in trying to defend views contrary to your own and for that I'm sorry, but...just consider that the negativity may not actually exist for some...

I never said you said it was the best way. I'm just saying that, um, perhaps we can focus on learning from positive things, instead of searching for holes in others' playing? No one is saying artists shouldn't admit to their faults, we all have faults, we're only human after all. Well, I don't know. I guess some people get pleasure out of watching others fall. Makes us feel superior and in control, hmm? Basic human nature.

It's starting to seem as if we're no longer talking about our all-time worst concert listening experiences, but about more general faults in people's playing. My feelings about talking about those are quite different than about talking about the worst ever musical disaster you've witnessed.

I think it can be useful and helpful to recognize and talk about what isn't good about various performances if we think there are problems with them, either technically or interpretively, or both. It's a way of learning what to do or not to do, and it is also, IMO, one of the best ways of refining listening skills and musical taste and intuition.

For example, it was invaluable to me when I was younger and much more likely to idolize performers to have people with more experience point out various problems with my idols' playing (even if they were sometimes rather brutal about it). And now, even if I'm past having those kind of youthful infatuations with performers, I think it is still healthy for me to hear negative opinions about performers and performances I admire. If nothing else, it reminds me that there are a gazillion points of view, and mine is only mine. Better, it seems to warn me about getting all lazy and comfy and self-satisfied about what I think matters in music - not that I always heed the warning, but I'm glad it is there.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
He11, let's all just talk about times we've messed up.

I once performed Clair de lune and right into the body section (with the arpeggios) I totally gronked the second chord in the right. I was pretty pissed the rest of the night.

J
J
Absolutely-her recording of Rachmaninoff Op 30 was fabulous

J
J
I once saw a very famous organist play the Widor Tocatta (a piece I love) far FAR too fast. About a minute in he just completely blanked and lost it. He started over and made it through but he still played it way WAY too fast.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission