2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2016249 01/17/13 06:10 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Just got an email about this if anyone in the Cleveland area is interested. I think they're the only Steinway dealer around here that I know of.

[Linked Image]

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I find it very annoying that many of the posts about dealer closings seem to almost delight in the announcement. Very insensitive. Dealer closings should not be a happy event for anyone really interested pianos. If you must inform the rest of the world about things like this(to what purpose?)at least do it with some class.

J
J
I dunno - depends on the dealer I guess. Some dealers are real shysters and I know my local Steinway dealer can be a bit...arrogant. I don't know anything about the dealer in question though and the lack of dealers around me was certainly annoying when I was shopping.

Originally Posted by Pianoloverus
I find it very annoying that many of the posts about dealer closings seem to almost delight in the announcement. Very insensitive. Dealer closings should not be a happy event for anyone really interested pianos. If you must inform the rest of the world about things like this(to what purpose?)at least do it with some class.

Pianoloverus, what is so insensitive here... the title of the thread? It is an announcement about a piano dealer closing.

I agree that the title is a little blunt, but not outrageous.

I hate to see piano dealers close too, but I think you were a little harsh on the OP here.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Online Content
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Pianoloverus

Pianoloverus, what is so insensitive here... the title of the thread? It is an announcement about a piano dealer closing.

I agree that the title is a little blunt, but not outrageous.

I hate to see piano dealers close too, but I think you were a little harsh on the OP here.

Rick
Of course I was referring to the title. I think the title is way more than a little blunt and it's both nasty and incredibly insensitive.

Imagine it was your business or a friend's business that closed. Would you want it announced to the world that you "bit the dust"?

It's also typical of how some posters seem to delight when a Steinway dealership closes.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If it was my business, and somebody posted my ad saying I was closing for good, I would be grateful. That is the point of the ad.

It's news. One more dealer closing.

I actually think the OP's thread title is well said.

Dealer's have been biting the dust. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
N
N
How do you know they are going out of business? There is an obvious ad but there are plenty of piano dealers that have many going out of business sales , move their inventory to a tent and then they are still there or just open in the same spot or up the road with another name?

Maybe the floor space contracts were not fulfilled and they are changing brands too. Some states make it illegal to have a sale like that and still be in business but when I see those ads it just tells me that its a pre-inventory clean out due to the time of year.

Go to that location in six months and see if there is a Chicken restaurant there, if so they are gone or moved. If not well I rest my case.

J. Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
www.NashvillePianoRescue.com
East Nashville
Bowling Green, KY
Scottsville KY.
Chamber of Commerce
Member/Sponsor

Putting inspiration in the hands of area musicians
Through restoration/renovation

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Doesn't Mattlin-Hyde have a number of locations? Is it just the Lyndhurst store which is closing?

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
M
M
Is it just me, or is anyone else bothered by the uneven letters in the ad? Looks like a ransom note.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Isn't Beckstein supposed to be Bechstein?

**********************************************************************************************************
Co-owner (by marriage) and part time customer service rep at an electronic musical equipment repair shop.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Of course I was referring to the title. I think the title is way more than a little blunt and it's both nasty and incredibly insensitive.

Isn't the title a quote from a 1980s rock song?

I think a lot of people would describe the 1980s as nasty and incredibly insensitive.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
Online Content
Originally Posted by accordeur
If it was my business, and somebody posted my ad saying I was closing for good, I would be grateful. That is the point of the ad.

It's news. One more dealer closing.

I actually think the OP's thread title is well said.

Dealer's have been biting the dust. It's sad, but it is what it is.
I think you missed the point by a mile. It was the language the OP used to say the dealership was closing. It was the title of the thread that was inappropriately insensitive by a mile.

M
M
Businesses fail all the time. Some have a good sense of humor or perspective and some don't. It's not like someone died though and they said this (presumably).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Sometimes they really mean they are going out of business. Piano City had a big going out of business sign in their window. When I finally decided to take their offer of a new Charles Walter studio for $6000, I grabbed my checkbook and drove down to their store and...

They were out of business!!!

Gary
J
J
I madeca comment last week about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy and was criticized for being insensitive to dealers. Now apparently this posting ruffled feathers for being insensitive to dealers.

Many people find this site via Google, which indexes all of these threads forever, including the flame wars. Threads like this one in the search results make pianoworld seem insular and hostile.

Even I noticed that this site is pretty prone to flame wars just from threads I would dig up on Google. That does not make it easy for new people to join. No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them.

People are going to say things that offend your sensibilities in any open forum. PM them if your feelings are hurt or just let it go?

EDIT: and yes by posting this openly instead of sending PMs I guess I am part of the problem.

Last edited by jawhitti; 01/18/13 10:25 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The ad does not say they are going out of business. It says "Closing Forever".

So they can close the current store, and carry on elsewhere. The wording avoids running afoul of any laws about them saying they are going out of business, but not actually going out of business.

With that vague wording, they could have a closet door somewhere in the building that has "Forever" stenciled on it, and they are going to shut that door. laugh

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them..."

You get used to it--- in fact, PW has a very handy "Ignore" feature. Does wonders for the blood pressure.

Clef

Online Content
Originally Posted by jawhitti
I madeca comment last week about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy and was criticized for being insensitive to dealers. Now apparently this posting ruffled feathers for being insensitive to dealers.

Many people find this site via Google, which indexes all of these threads forever, including the flame wars. Threads like this one in the search results make pianoworld seem insular and hostile.

Even I noticed that this site is pretty prone to flame wars just from threads I would dig up on Google. That does not make it easy for new people to join. No one wants the wrath of a 10,000 post super user to come down on them because they offended them.

People are going to say things that offend your sensibilities in any open forum. PM them if your feelings are hurt or just let it go?

EDIT: and yes by posting this openly instead of sending PMs I guess I am part of the problem.
Or maybe the first post was just insensitive and inappropriate.

I think a comment about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy, depending on how it is phrased, could also be insensitive to dealers.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
It is a sad fact of the current economy, a few years ago many furniture stores were closing, and when the economy recovers
you will see furniture stores come back...
sadly pianos are not for the masses, only selective clients
so the stores won't be coming back, but the ones that remain will absorb all the sales..

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I think a comment about driving a hard bargain in a tough economy, depending on how it is phrased, could also be insensitive to dealers.

The negotiable price is the system set up by the dealers themselves. They made the bed, now they have to sleep in it.

I've yet to read a post from a dealer bemoaning the fact that some poor schmuck came into his shop and paid full MSRP.

Gary
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission