2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2015707 01/16/13 07:48 PM
E
OP Offline
E
Hello all,

I'm interested in taking lessons over skype and was wondering how effective teachers are finding it.

I'm a professional musician (guitarist) and have always wanted to become a proficient pianist. Skype would save travel time and potentially connect me with a great teacher.

Your comments and opinions would be greatly appreciated as well as any recommendations for skype teachers.

thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I find teaching over Skype to be really good for the most part. I've been doing it for almost 2 years and the only challenge with it to me is just the occassional tech glitch. But I think it depends on the teacher. Some say it's too limiting, which I can understand if you are really concerned about tone, dynamics, and other things that are affected by the "digitization". I think it's best suited for adults who are primarily into popular stuff... jazz, blues, etc. and for those at a level where self-evaluation is fairly reliable. And it's certainly important that the teacher is very good at explaining things since demonstration is somewhat limited.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have been doing Skype lessons, off and on, for a few years and believe in it when you cannot find a suitable teacher locally. I think I would rather have a local teacher but I like working with jazz stuff and I am finding it difficult to find a really good jazz teacher in my locale.

It is also very nice to be able to have the lessons right on your own piano and also not having to travel to the teacher's studio.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
There are pros and cons to it, but I would recommend that you first study with someone in person, then when you get the basics you can do Skype. There's a lot of hands-on technique work that really can only be addressed in person.

I get to see my Skype students during Christmas and over the summer months, so I can address issues then. Of course, it's not as good as meeting with them in person every week where I can tackle those things right away. However, if there's no other option, it is better than nothing. But I stress that it should be a last resort.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
There are pros and cons to it, but I would recommend that you first study with someone in person, then when you get the basics you can do Skype. There's a lot of hands-on technique work that really can only be addressed in person.

It's hard for me to imagine what a Skype lesson would be like. Do you feel like you waste a lot of time getting your camera (I assume camera and not a phone or ipad) pointing in the right direction so you can observe technique, etc? It seems to me like there would be a lot of fiddling involved.

I made this: http://privio.net - Private music studio management made easy.
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by UrLicht
It's hard for me to imagine what a Skype lesson would be like. Do you feel like you waste a lot of time getting your camera (I assume camera and not a phone or ipad) pointing in the right direction so you can observe technique, etc? It seems to me like there would be a lot of fiddling involved.

Not really. You make sure you have the right things available to enable you to place the webcam where you need it. Then you just do it. I usually place the webcam peering over my left shoulder and down at the keyboard. My instructor says it is perfect. After that, I just play and the instructor talks. Occasionally he will demonstrate something for me to see on his keyboard. It works very well.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
M
Originally Posted by UrLicht

I have my laptop on a table to the side of the piano so students can see the keys. Sometimes I need to show them something I'm demonstrating (vs just playing it) in which case I just move the laptop to a better angle for that. For the most part, however, once you figure out a good overall angle then you stick with it.

When I started teaching Skype, I allowed and extra 15 minutes in between each lesson to accommodate technical difficulties. After a while, however, this became unnecessary.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
This is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm now doing about 70% of my practice with Skype and it works great and allows folks in "non-jazz" parts of the world to reach their dreams..

I recently had a visit in NYC from a skype student I worked with from New Dehli, whom previously I knew only from skype teaching. When we met in person, i saw that he had come as far in one year through skype as any student I ever had had come from live lessons.

smile

Dave Frank

Last edited by davefrank; 01/18/13 06:28 AM.
My son works with a professor at a distant university via Skype. This is on Baroque flute, mind you, not piano.

It's a godsend, despite its limitations. The limitations are obvious. Tone is distorted, so that part of musicality, which is quite important on a woodwind, cannot really be addressed. Secondly, duo playing is impossible due to the delay. Likewise, this is more important on a woodwind than on the piano. Lastly, the details of hand technique are clearly harder to deal with via video link than in person.

Despite these drawbacks, the opportunity for direct instruction from an expert overwhelms the drawbacks.

In our case, the limitations are eased because we occasionally pay the expense of going "there" for some face-to-face instruction. The combination of the in-person work together with Skype lessons has led to amazingly rapid progress.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is this Piano*Son? Who is also now Baroque*Flute*Son? (And did I notice you mention that he's also Harpsichord*Son?) And your other son is French*Horn*Son?

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
No, no. P*S is still the one who plays piano and horn. Flute*Son is the one who has picked up Baroque and Celtic. In fact, it's F*S who may wind up conservatory trained. The irony was noted by F*S himself a few days ago. smile

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Ah! It's lovely to hear about so much music in Piano*Family.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
I started teaching through the internet last month, and it's worked quite well. I'd offered free lessons here as an act of kindness, but I was definitely surprised to discover how well it worked out.

Although the audio dropped sometimes (and there was a bit of disortion), all of the students found the lessons helpful. (If you look in my past posts, you'll see a thread that I started for online lessons; I think there might be some lesson feedback that you can look into there.)

L
L
I take a mix of lessons over Skype/Facetime and in-person lessons with my teacher. It works very well, assuming both sides have decent internet connections. The only things that I've seen so far that don't work too well is duet playing (impossible due to the delay).

What I'd really like to do is find a way to hook up a MIDI piano to an onscreen keyboard to make it easier for the student to see/record what the teacher is playing when they demo. Does anyone know of any software that does this?

M
M
One issue with Skype is that dynamics are pretty much negated. I usually request students change the settings in Skype so that it doesn't automatically adjust for variations in volume, but with those are not less technically savvy this can be rather difficult to accomplish. Of course, with this then you end up with distortion on louder notes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
L
L
I too have used Skype for lessons ... normally I take lessons in person at my teachers studio, but when I am gone for extended periods I use Skype and it works pretty well

Steinway K-52 upright
Mason & Hamlin 50 upright
Need Piano2 and Nord Stage keyboards
Actually, I've used Facetime too; it works better (I find) when both people have Apple devices.

I've built a platform specifically for online piano lessons and am slowly working on getting all of my students online.

I agree with Dave, video lessons are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Maybe even the greatest thing (education-wise) since the printing press, sheet music and recordings.

Here's a recent news article about teaching piano online http://www.burnabynewsleader.com/business/185951131.html

M
M
Chad, two questions for you, if I may. How do you deal with things that are not computer-friendly, such as correcting theory work or technique work?

I also find that a lot breaks down at the end of the student, where they may have less-than-ideal hardware or a slow internet connection. Do you have minimum requirements for your students, or do you just make the best of it and let the student know that the issue is on their end?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Chad, two questions for you, if I may. How do you deal with things that are not computer-friendly, such as correcting theory work or technique work?

I also find that a lot breaks down at the end of the student, where they may have less-than-ideal hardware or a slow internet connection. Do you have minimum requirements for your students, or do you just make the best of it and let the student know that the issue is on their end?

And to add to that: are you using Skype, Facetime, or some other software?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission