2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brennbaer, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
mama Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I was thinking about buying a used starter piano for my daughter (who is currently taking lessons but uses a cheap keyboard at home) and see how that goes for a few years. My daughter could get a few years of lessons under her belt (while I save my pennies) and then if she still wants to continue, I could trade up to something really special.

I am considering a Samick JS042, which is a couple of years old for about $1400. Is this a good deal? I would appreciate any help. Thanks!

G
G
In which part of the country do you reside? The reason I ask is because there is regional variation in pricing. The JS042 is not a bad little piano. Let us know your location and perhaps you will receive more comments on pricing.

Gene Grant
F
F
MaMa,
The JS042 was built in Imdonesia by Samick.
Today their pianos from Indonesia are quite good for the value but, as a Samick dealer in the mid 90's to early 2000's I would caution you on one from the nineties.
We experienced lots of little issues with them then that have since been rectified.
Naybe have a tech check out and I do agree with Gene, the area you live in can dictate re-sale value.
Just check the age by serial # and you will be able to make a more informed decision.

Frank Woodside
www.hzmpiano.com

Frank Woodside
www.hzmpiano.com
M
mama Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the responses. I live in upstate NY. Also, the Samick is less that 2 years old and has been well taken care of.

F
F
mama,
Then I think that will be a fine starter for you.

Frank

Frank Woodside
www.hzmpiano.com
M
mama Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Just wanted to let you know, I bought the Samick JS 042 that I mentioned earlier. Before I did, I spoke to the gentleman who tunes it. He has a record on the piano from day 1. He said it was in great shape and was a great beginner piano for a young child. This one is cheap ($1200) compared to the new ones I was looking at($3000 to $4000). In a few years, if my daughter wants to continue, I will buy a much better piano. By then I'll know more about pianos!

Thanks for all your input!

M
M
Congrats on the deal. Thanks for the update-I'm often curious what folks did.

You did well for your price range in my opinion. Enjoy.

M

D
D
Well done Mama ! thumb You did a really great job ! thumb

There is so much BS and almost religious attachment to this or that brand or kind of instrument ... and in reality its all about your daughter having fun and possibly learning a bit about music and life in the process ... almost anything else is misplaced dreaming ..... or worse !

You may find the following words reassuring ... not that you need any reinforcement ... as your daughter seems to have a very wise mom ! ... they were posted in another forum ... concerning which was the "best" Chinese upright:
---------------------------------------------
"I had no really firm preconceived notions about the quality of Chinese vs. other "brands" of piano .... being neither a dealer nor a piano techie... I am not a pianist either... though I am music lover! But what I have to post may be relevant anyway.

My sons girlfriend who is a multi first prize (6X) winning Classical pianist from Germany (I say that not to brag but to put things in an appropriate frame of reference) just bought a used Pearl River upright {for 3000$ Canadian ... about 2700$ USD } ... (UP 115E ...very recent with no discernable wear at all) after trying out about 30 other used instruments in the same price range ... various companies ... at three or four different dealers here in Montreal.

I don't mean to intimate at all that this piano has the sound or touch of a concert grand ... and I was actually a bit surprised that she bought a "Chinese" piano given her background... but I am old enough to remember when we used to laugh about "Made in Japan" stamped on any product.

She is in grad school here and does not have the financial resources others may have ... but she certainly knows a bit about playing piano and what she wanted in an instrument ... again of course, within a certain frame of reference. It seems this piano was well tuned and "regulated" by the dealer and "does the job." ... not very poetic but in this case very true.

So I suppose while one can generalize about the different piano "lines" and companies it really does come down to playing the exact instrument in question before making a judgment ... "

--------------------------------------------

Again ... Bravo Mama ! thumb [thumbsup] BTW she also was very seriously considering some digital instruments ... you don't need a 9' concert grand to make beautiful music and have a lot of fun to in the process... thumb

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission