2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Doug M., Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 6 invisible), 1,123 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Hi everyone,

Just a couple of months back, towards the beginning of the year, my parents purchased a Kawai KDP-80 for my practice use in the mornings& late evenings... I also have a Boston GP-178 which I use for 80% of my practice time; previously I stayed in a home which had an add room which was carpeted and isolated. The issue is that we moved to a nicer home which lacks that add room and my grand piano is out in the living room. We thought that buying a Digital piano would help but just within the first few months it's started to have wear& tear issues with the una corda pedal and high C key.

Any suggestions or advice? I did ask the company I purchased the KDP and Grand from; they said the only solution is to replace the KDP with an good upright, at least a Kawai K6 considering the level I play at.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianist.ame, I'm sorry to hear that your KDP-80 is exhibiting a degree of wear and tear after a relatively short period of time. May I ask if you can provide a little more information regarding this issues you are experiencing, please?

The KDP-80 is obviously still under warranty, therefore the Kawai dealer is obliged to listen to your concerns and make every effort to resolve any issues reported.

If the dealer is unwilling to cooperate, I would recommend contacting Kawai Japan using the enquiry form at the following URL:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/worldwide/support/

Your message will be forwarded directly to the individuals responsible for the Singapore market, who should be able to help you resolve the situation.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
My una corda pedal has a squeaking sound which is relatively loud and my high c key has a loud tapping& clicking sound.

The technician took the pedal back to the company to fix it but still could not resolve the problem 100%. For the high C key there is a sound when the key goes up. The company's main concern is that a digital piano might not be suitable for such heavy practice and that in the long run when my warranty has expired the maintenance will cost a lot on my end

Yes it is, they have contacted Kawai Japan but the side from Japan is taking a ridiculously long time to respond.

Thanks!

Last edited by pianist.ame; 01/18/13 03:54 AM.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
M
M
Even if that is the case and your high usage of the DP will mean further repairs later on, they still have to honor the piano while it's under warranty. I'm surprised that a dealer would suggest that the piano is not able to handle high usage.

If that is the case, then why is it affecting on the high C, which isn't used as much as say, Middle C or the notes around there? How often do you really play the high C (I'm assuming you mean 2 octaves above Middle C)? Probably not often enough to cause damage to it. And the una corda pedal? How often do you use that? I would think if anything it would be the damper pedal having issues.

This just sounds like the instrument itself has some faulty things going on, that's all. Make sure they honor the warranty while it is still covered, and see how it does.

Any suggestions or advice? I did ask the company I purchased the KDP and Grand from; they said the only solution is to replace the KDP with an good upright, at least a Kawai K6 considering the level I play at.

Didn't you buy the DP for practicing during morning and late evening hours - so you wouldn't disturb the rest of the household? How would an upright be suitable for this solution? I do suspect the dealer is just trying to sell you a more expensive instrument by saying what they previously sold you wasn't really good enough.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
pianist.ame, I'm afraid I have to agree with Morodiene - it appears that this particular dealer is attempting to sell you an acoustic upright, rather than rectify the relatively straight-forward issues that you have reported with your digital piano.

Both the squeaking pedal and tapping/clicking key can be easily resolved by applying a little lubricant to the relevant moving parts. These are simple fixes that can be performed 'on site'. Unless there is a very serious problem, it should not be necessary for the technician to take parts back to the company workshop.

Originally Posted by pianist.ame
Yes it is, they have contacted Kawai Japan but the side from Japan is taking a ridiculously long time to respond.

I'm afraid I do not believe that this particular dealer/salesperson is telling you the truth. My colleagues in the sales section are incredibly diligent, efficient chaps. They are in constant contact with their distributors via Skype, telephone, and email - most queries they receive are typically dealt with within 24-48 hours.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
P
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Thanks for the advice smile

I do know one of the sales person from this outlet personally so I will contact her; she did ask me to do so if the company was giving me problems and said if so she will contact the boss directly.

I am very annoyed by now, so are my parents actually by now because of the numerous times the technician has turned up and not done anything.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission