2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I'm presently working on Beethoven 'Happy and Sad.' This is the first piece I have played in C Minor. So, I'm working on playing the scale for it.

Although they key sig indicates that B, E and A are flatted in this key, in my "Complete Book of Scales, Cadences and Arpeggios" the scale shows that the B is natural. It shows a natural sign in the scale.

I have two questions on this. 1) If the key is defined as having those three keys flatted, why would the scale have it natural, and 2) if the scale has the B as natural, when I play the piece, are the Bs that I encounter supposed to be flatted, per the key sig, or would they be natural since that's how the scale for the key is?

I'm confused on this.
thanks!

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
The scale is indeed C minor but the b natural makes it a harmonic minor as opposed to the natural minor.
There are 3 minor scales Natural, Harmonic and Melodic.

Minor Scale (wikipedia)

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
The key signature represents the natural minor key.

Real music seldom follows suit. The seventh note is typically sharpened, B natural in C minor, so that the dominant chord built on the fifth, G seventh, G-B-D-F, resolves to the tonic by a semitone to C. This is the harmonic minor and is usually the first form of minor scale learnt at the piano.

The tone and a half between the sixth and seventh in the harmonic minor is very uncomfortable for singing so in the Melodic minor the sixth is also raised when ascending to tonic. When descending the scale the leading note doesn't need to resolve to tonic so the natural minor is used in descent.

So, we start with a major scale and flatten the third. The sixth and seventh can be flattened also but are not always in practise.

Richard
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Oongawa
2) if the scale has the B as natural, when I play the piece, are the Bs that I encounter supposed to be flatted, per the key sig, or would they be natural since that's how the scale for the key is?

In the piece, play the Bs flatted according to the key signature, unless they have a different accidental applied to them in the music. You will probably see a lot of B naturals in the music, but some Bs might remain flatted.

Kbeaumont mentioned the three different minor scales that people often practice. Here is some more detail about them:

The natural minor scale would have the flats exactly as in the key signature: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C.

The harmonic minor scale raises the seventh note (Bb) a half step (to B natural), to reflect the fact that you will often find B natural marked in a C minor key piece: C D Eb F G Ab B C. This is the one you have in your scale book.

There is also a melodic minor scale which raises the sixth and seventh notes, but only going up. Ascending: C D Eb F G A B C. Descending: C Bb Ab G F Eb C (same as the natural minor scale descending). This also is related to something that you might find in your piece, where the sixth note of the minor scale is raised: A natural instead of A flat.

But the scales are just patterns to get used to the notes you'll often find in minor key music. When reading the score, read the score the way you normally would: use the flats from the key signature unless they are altered by accidentals in the music.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Major and minor keys (and scales) are what we have left over from modes, and it would be good to start with exploring this idea of "mode". Play this:
C,C,G,G,A,A,G(pause), F,F,E,E,D,D,C
Of course you have just played the beginning of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
Now play this:
A,A,E,E,F,E,E (pause), D,D,C,C,B,B,A
Now you have played Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in a minor key.

Did you notice that the second version sounded "sad", and it had a different flavour to it? Modes create moods. Historically Western music had 6 of them, and then eventually settle down to two: major and minor, which came out of that. Eventually jazz etc. got the other modes back in, but we won't worry about that.

When we learn to identify major and minor KEYS, then we know the minor key has the same key signature as its "relative major" which starts up a minor third, or "three notes up". Example:

A minor .... relative major is C major
C minor .... relative major is Eb major

Compare the notes:
C minor
C D Eb F G Ab Bb C -----
Eb major
---- Eb F G Ab Bb C D Eb

The key signature of Eb major is very handy for C minor, because it lowers (flats) E, A, B, which are the 3rd, 6th, 7th degree notes of C minor.

This is the starting point, and what you've been told is how it's usually presented because it is easy to start with this. There is more to it, as you've found out.

In harmony, we have a very important chord: the V chord or V7 chord. Music gets a feeling of "arriving" through V-I. Now if we take the notes of C minor as we presented them, then V would be G Bb D which is Gm, and I is C Eb G, which is Cm. So we'd get Gm-Cm. This is a weak combination because this is how the notes would move.
Bb ==> C
D ==> Eb
G ==> G

Play Bb ==> C, and then play B ==> C. Which gives you a stronger feeling of wanting to move to C which is our main note in C minor? It should be B, which is only a half step away from C. Try the same thing Gm => C, and G (GBD) => C. You should hear the second as being more convincing.

So to let us have a V-i instead of v-i (Vm-Im), composers will raise the 7th note, from Bb to Bnat, using a natural sign. Thus you get the "harmonic minor":
C,D,Eb,F,G,AB,B(nat),C

Our V chord becomes G,B,D and our cadence becomes
B ==> C
D ==> Eb
G ==> G

..... But now we have a new problem. Play the "harmonic minor" scale. Does it sound odd and "Oriental"? There are 1 1/2 steps from Ab to B nat. So to smooth out that bump we get another scale, where the Ab has also been raised:

C,D,Eb,F,G,A(nat),B(nat),C

This is called the "melodic minor" scale, and we learn to play it differently going up and down, but in real music that isn't always the pattern.

The real conclusion is that in a minor scale, the first 5 notes are fixed (C,D,Eb,F,G), while notes 6 & 7 toggle "as needed". The first 5 notes give us the i chord CEbG which is minor, and plays a major role in setting the "sad, blue" mood of minor scales.

M
MH1963 Offline OP
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
WOW.
I had no idea.
I knew about major and minor but all this other info is completely new to me.

Thank you VERY VERY much for taking the time to type all this in. I feel a major study session coming on.

It will probably take me a while to soak that all in!

Thank you Thank you !!

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Great explanations! I'll simply add that when talking about minor scales, the name helps you remember which is which. Start with the natural (naturally). We raise the 7th note for HARMONIC reasons, and we then have to raise the 6th and 7th for MELODIC reasons. And yes, the melodic reason is only for when the notes are going up, so we don't have to do anything to the scale going down, so it's NATURAL again.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
B
B
Depends on which minor key you are using. There is the Natural Minor Scale, the Harmonic Minor Scale, as well as the Melodic Minor Scale. They are all very similar but have subtle differences, such as the B (in a C-Minor scale). Composers will often switch between them within the same composition to produce different effects. You can read more about the three here.

edit: didn't realize everyone had already answered laugh

Last edited by beechcraft409; 01/17/13 04:05 PM.

Nick
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
And yes, the melodic reason is only for when the notes are going up, so we don't have to do anything to the scale going down, so it's NATURAL again.

That is what I learned to do when playing scales in lessons. However, it has been pointed out to me that in actual music, composers don't necessarily use that rule. I forget in which compositions and composers we saw that but they weren't modern - maybe even Bach on occasion.

I was thinking over the logic of this. I think that if you have an ascending melody and want it to be smooth, you'll also probably want to use a V chord which means you'll want the raised 7th. The you will naturally go for "melodic minor" to make the run sound smooth. Otoh, when descending, you are not moving 7=>1, so there is no reason to raise the 7th, so you'd tend to go for a natural minor. Might this be how that rule got started? (as a loose rule maybe, that later got entrenched in lessons)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by keystring
That is what I learned to do when playing scales in lessons. However, it has been pointed out to me that in actual music, composers don't necessarily use that rule. I forget in which compositions and composers we saw that but they weren't modern - maybe even Bach on occasion.
Yes, composers like to break the rules a lot of times, even back in the day. I think they do it on purpose just to mess with us sometimes.

Rules in music are more guidelines, nothing is 100% concrete, or else jazz wouldn't exist.

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Brian Lucas
Rules in music are more guidelines, nothing is 100% concrete, or else jazz wouldn't exist.

laugh ha

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission