2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I have been with the same teacher for the past 6 years and I'm looking to switch teachers. We get along fine and have no issues, but I feel I need a change at this time. I have found another teacher, and feel this change might help me. I feel as I'm in a rut. I believe this will challenge me.

I planned on giving notice yesterday at my lesson, but couldn't get the nerve to tell her. Any suggestions. I don't want to cause hard feelings, but I'm afraid the truth might be upsetting. I don't want to lie either, but it might be less hurtful.

Help!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
On the practical side, your teacher needs advance time so that she can find a student to replace you, who can come in your time slot. Or to juggle students around. You also represent steady predictable income, and it's fair to help her out on the business side of things. On the human side of things, I think your student would like to know that you appreciate what she taught you, that you feel you are the musician that you are at this point because of her teaching, and maybe you could mention something that was especially significant to you that she gave you.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the reply. I'm paid up through January. Is two weeks enough notice? I'm not scheduled until Feb, is giving notice over the phone adequate?

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
You can't just leave a teacher on two weeks' notice after 6 years. Whether the teacher has an explicit exit policy or not.

I would tell her soon that you plan on taking a break from your studies with her at the end of, say, February or March. Or whenever you might next be taking a vacation anyway. Tell her that after 6 years you now need some time simply to make music on your own, to digest all you have learned from her.

She might get the picture. Or not. Either way, once you stop lessons with her, your relationship has ended (unless she is also a personal friend), and starting up with another teacher becomes free and easy.

I'd say something to her in person. Or write her a personal note.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 01/16/13 09:22 PM.
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Sorry but I have to do this. And now I have an earworm - fair warning.

"The problem is all inside your head", she said to me
The answer is easy if you take it logically
I'd like to help you in your struggle to be free
There must be fifty ways to leave your teacher

She said it's really not my habit to intrude
Furthermore, I hope my meaning won't be lost or misconstrued
But I'll repeat myself, at the risk of being crude
Fifty ways to leave your teacher

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Ooo slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
Just listen to me
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

She said it grieves me so to see you in such pain
I wish there was something I could do to make you smile again
I said I appreciate that and would you please explain
About the fifty ways

She said why don't we both just sleep on it tonight
And I believe in the morning you'll begin to see the light
And then she kissed me and I realized she probably was right
Fifty ways to leave your teacher

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
Just listen to me
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Last edited by TimR; 01/16/13 09:43 PM.

gotta go practice
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
TimR you are hilarious!!!! thanks for the laugh for today!!!! LOLOL

Piano Teacher
B
B
I don't like the idea of lying to her, and I don't think you "owe" a teacher more than a month's notice by any means. I haven't been teaching six years yet, but if I had, I wouldn't expect more than a few weeks' notice that a student was leaving.

I do like the idea of telling her you're grateful for what she's taught you. I actually wouldn't mind a student saying they wanted to see if they could grow in different ways with a different teacher. I'd probably say, "Way to go! I hope it works out for you," but I'm not living solely on what I make as a teacher right now. A lot depends on the nature of your relationship with your teacher, which only you know.

A nice gesture might be to ask if she minds you referring others to her in the future.

Piano teacher since 2008, festivals chair for local chapter of NFMC, dabbling composer of pedagogical music
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Whether or not one depends on the income should have no part in the thinking here. One month notice is standard courtesy and a handwritten note of appreciation would be thoughtful and appropriate.

I would either call or send an email and follow it up with the personal handwritten note.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
First of all...

We need to remember that 'owe' is a strong word. This student has been giving his money to his teacher for the past six years. I'd say that for such loyalty the teacher owes the student quite a bit as well! (if you get my point).

In the US, how many weeks/months notice do employees get from employers when fired? Here in Greece things suck. My wife got in her office, a couple of years ago, to be told that she wasn't to work there anymore and left the same day (without working on that same day), and things are getting worst little by little over here.

Now the part on 'how to tell her' is the easy part I think. You just tell her that you feel the need to move on. Moving on doesn't mean moving upwards, or going somewhere better necessarily. It just means 'going some place else'. You could also say that it isn't her, but you. That you need some time to think things over. That you want your own space and time. That you feel the pressure raising from her friends, etc, but that would be totally misleading (and hilarious at the same time) (and yes, I'm, kidding...)

A
A
TimR.....that was already in my head before I saw your post! :-)

Shigeru Kawai SK6 (as of 10/22/12!!)
Ivers and Pond upright
MTNA, CAPMT

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
I think most teachers expect students to move on at some time.

Be courteous - I think after six years an email is a lousy way to let her know you feel the need to move on.
If you are uncomfortable discussing it - then write a nice letter, and then at the end of your lesson tell her that you think it is time for a change, and that you've written about it in the letter.

Give notice - whatever is in the policy or courteous. If you pay by the month I would think that 1 month might be the guideline for a reasonable departure notice.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

B
B
These days, anything more than just getting dumped by text seems to be a bonus.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by keystring
On the practical side, your teacher needs advance time so that she can find a student to replace you, who can come in your time slot. Or to juggle students around. You also represent steady predictable income, and it's fair to help her out on the business side of things. On the human side of things, I think your student would like to know that you appreciate what she taught you, that you feel you are the musician that you are at this point because of her teaching, and maybe you could mention something that was especially significant to you that she gave you.

Originally Posted by Minniemay
Whether or not one depends on the income should have no part in the thinking here. One month notice is standard courtesy and a handwritten note of appreciation would be thoughtful and appropriate.

I would either call or send an email and follow it up with the personal handwritten note.

With something difficult such as this, I'd likely go with Minniemay's suggestion of a handwritten note (take it from the experienced and empathetic two above female teachers). Surely they've helped you with some difficult lessons (music and life) over this extended period of time that you could express [specific] appreciation for?

I'd certainly give no less than a month's notice so you have a period of time with her to wrap things up. Also, less than one month's notice (ex. two weeks) is hardly fair from a business perspective when most teachers deal with scheduling and most certainly, finances, on a month-to-month basis, let alone from the arguably more important relational perspective.

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Mark...
I don't want to cause hard feelings, but I'm afraid the truth might be upsetting. I don't want to lie either, but it might be less hurtful.

I wouldn't worry about breaking your teacher's heart. We are well aware that each student who begins lessons will at some point decide to stop lessons.

I only agonized one time over losing a student. And I only agonized out of insecurity. Since then I've gained experience and confidence and accept the changes easily.

Check your teacher's policy to see what notice of termination is requested. I ask for just 2 weeks notice.

It's always nice to have a handwritten note of appreciation. It makes for a beautiful ending.

M
M
If your teacher does not have an explicit termination policy, why not ask her what she would like as notice? Then she can determine if the end of January is fine.

I second the handwritten note thing. Email and texts are awful, no matter how long you've been studying with the teacher. A personal conversation, however, is the best. As long as what you say is respectful, there's nothing to fear. I'm pretty sure she's not going to burst into tears on the spot (or later even). Chances are she feels that your progress/interest has waned and is waiting for you to arrive at the same conclusion. I usually don't terminate my students, but wait for them to make that choice, and it's quite possible your teacher is doing the same.

Be prepared, however, for the teacher to disagree. If you have made up your mind, just have very clear, concise words to explain your decision, and let her know that if you change your mind you will not hesitate to return.

Also stress that you have appreciated the time together and that you will do your best to remember all of the things she taught you.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to talk to her shortly and give a over months notice.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
"and just so you'll know that my decision is final, I'm not going to give any reasons."

gotta go practice
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A month's notice. A nice note, thanking her--- maybe even a small present--- and also telling her in person would be nice. Observing that you want to study with another teacher is your reason, no need to say any more.

I like the idea of asking if you may refer other students to her. That is graceful, and carries its own message.

Maybe, as a remembrance, a nice edition of some music that you know she likes. One of my teachers was playing 'Hammerklavier' from a score that was, literally, in tatters.

Clef

S
S
I know I'm coming into this discussion rather late. Lots of people have offered excellent suggestions about how to leave this teacher with kindness and grace.

What I'm wondering, given that you've studied with this teacher for 6 years, is that perhaps she's feeling that it's time for you to move on as well, and she may actually be relieved that you are coming to that conclusion on your own.

I currently have two students (siblings) who I have taught for five years. They are great students, and have made wonderful progress...so much progress, in fact, that I am becoming somewhat uncomfortable teaching them. I think they would really benefit from a teacher who could offer them a broader range of experience with the classical repertoire. I am thinking that I will teach them through the end of the year, but after the June recital, I will be telling them that I feel they've learned all they can from me and that it's time for them to move on. It will be hard. They are great kids and a joy to teach and, of course, I will be losing some income by letting them go, but they need to move on, whether they realize it or not.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark...
I don't want to lie either, but it might be less hurtful.

Don't lie. It's far more awkward for all involved later on to discover that you lied in the first place.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission