2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (1957, Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,885 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 30 of 31 1 2 28 29 30 31
A
A
Hi Friends,

When I was buying my DP earlier this year, I was debating the 63 vs 93. For the price difference I sacrificed the 93 (improved) sound for the 63. Well, at my company raffle I won a Sharp HT SL70 sound bar (2.1).

I hooked that up through the audio out. Now I have a 6.1. I have the speakers vertical ~ 40" apart on top of the piano and the sub woofer on the floor just left of the piano. I believe I just made up the difference!

Amateur Jerry

Czar
G
G
Hello friends,

I really like this forum. For me it is by far the most important and inspiring source for KAWAI users :-)

Today I would like to contribute with a short note, because again a discussion about sound reproduction is "on the run".

For me the most important and underestimated sound adjustment is...*tadadaaaaa* the VOLUME control.

It is in fact not really the loudness you adjust but automactically as you try to play in the same level you experience different fields on the deeps of your instrument.

A bit like the "touch" feature the total level of volume has a great impact on the sound of my CA-93 and the playing style.

It is impressive how just 2 clicks or....hmmmm...lines on the volume slider totally change the sound of the instrument due to different sample layers or ultra progessive algorithms.

Try it out it's worth the time and the best thing. In seconds the sliders is back on the good old "middle" position :-)

Alexander

Last edited by Galuwen; 12/02/12 07:33 AM.
T
T
Hi All - first post here smile

Respect to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

I have been lurking for quite a while and have recently bought an 'ex-demo' CA63 and am generally loving it.

I have downloaded one of the pdfs containing all the presets so far, but despite reading the manual (and the whole of this thread) I am stuck.

I am trying to use 'Kawai EX - The Winners Choice (Closed Lid)'. I can layer Voice 1 with 'Concert Grand 2' and 'Mellow Grand 2', but cannot for the life of me get 'Concert Grand' into Voice 2 - all I can get on the Piano 2 key is Pop, Rock and Modern pianos.

Also, I notice that 'The Mother Of All D Grands' has 4 sounds assigned to Voice 2 (Mellow Grand 2, Concert Grand, Pop Piano and Modern Piano) - how do you achieve this?

I know that earlier in the thread someone alluded to uploading a 'how-to' guide, but the links no longer work.

Please can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by TrumpetMan; 01/12/13 07:59 AM.
T
T
OK, I can now answer my own question!

Looking at ripe_md's pdf charts, where there are more than one sound listed in the Voice 1 or Voice 2 columns, these are alternatives you can choose between.

You can only layer two sounds at a time.

It took a while for me to figure this out!

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TADutchman
By coincidence, here's my DP hint of the week (for any brand):

I was curious and sceptical at the same time whether Quantum Resonance Technology would do anything at all to an audio signal (despite of several positive reviews) and finally decided to just buy the KEMP Elektroniks QA PLUG for my hifi system (as the Nordost 'competitive' product is like ten times more expensive) and put it to the test: I was really impressed with the results as it unexpectedly does as advertised on the box:

"The KE-QA PLUG is the best upgrade for a better live performance of your complete A/V system. Just plug the QA PLUG into a free outlet nearby the A/V set and enjoy the improved stage image, warm details and higher definition. - made with pride and care by KEMP ELEKTRONIKS"

The QA plug made me relisten just about all my favourite CD tracks in awe, as it's effect is not subtle, more like just having obtained a higher-end hifi system! shocked

Also the live acoustics of my CA93, which is plugged into a different outlet in the living room, are positively affected. Check it out for yourself if you dare! (your mileage may vary) wink

I have seen references to this item prior to this and each time I find it interesting but I just cannot "buy" it. I think I will check with a couple of local stereo shoppes and see what they know about it. When something sounds too good ... well, you know the rest.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd
I have seen references to this item prior to this and each time I find it interesting but I just cannot "buy" it.
Well, it would be extremely easy to simply return the QA-plug if not satisfied (free of charge), that's why I tried it in the first place. For me it turned out to be a successful experiment without running any risk. smile (please note that I have no relation with the company)

By the way, sorry for my LONG absence, guys. My wife spent several Months in hospital before giving preterm birth to our son. He was born 3 Months early, but after a lot of care and attention he's doing fine now! So, I'm slowly getting back into business again...

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Good to hear from you again TADutchman!

I'm sorry to learn of your wife's childbirth complications, but I'm glad to know that you are all well!

Take care,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, it is nice to have you back in the saddle again Dutch!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
T
T
Congratulations to all.

Sounds like some lullabys could be useful to get some peace smile

F
F
Hallo to all.
Just bought Kawai CA95 black, it's here, near to me right now :-)
As newbie i have some questions.

1) Is possible to use TADutchman presets also for ca95?
2) I have downloaded pdf with all settings. But does anyone can upload the settings for Steinway Grand Devotion Rev 3 normal touching? I'm not very confident just now and i want to be sure that all the settings i do are correct. It would be of some help for me.

Thank you ... in particular to Dutchman for his incredible work!!!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello Fryc,
Thanks for your compliment!

To answer your questions:
1) Most sounds of the CA95 are probably still similar to some extend to the CA93 and dual voice mode is also supported (unlike e.g. the MP10), but there are several enhancements also in the virtual technician, so in order to get the most out of your CA95, you'd probably have to tweak every CA93 custom dual voice preset by ear.

2) The Steinway Grand Devotion Rev 3 normal touch was initially published in this thread, here to be exact: http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1622719.html#Post1622719

A definitive solution should be enhancing CA93 firmware for been the same than CA95 (hint for Kawai Technic department) ;D

Kawai CA99
F
F
Yes, i'm trying to understand all the settings. This is the first time for me.

What i'm noticing is that there are a lot of differences in the software.

For example, reverb hall 2 doesn't exist. The types are: Room, Lounge, Small Hall, Concert Hall, Live Hall and Cathedral. For everyone of these types we can adjust DEPTH (1-10) and TIME (1-10).
The effects are even more different. We have: Stereo Delay, Ping Delay, Triple Delay and many others. It's even possible to combine them.

And finally i don't see KEY SETTINGS !!!

It's very difficult for me to understand what to do.

If you have the possibility to have under your hand the new CA95 and want to do a conversion CA93->CA95 would be wonderful :-) Not every presets of course, just some Steinway, particularly someone ideal for Chopin music.

I'm honest. The CA95's action is very good, but i don't like Concert Grand default sound. Don't like for classical music, in particular Chopin.

Last edited by Fryc; 01/27/13 10:02 AM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Fryc
If you have the possibility to have under your hand the new CA95 and want to do a conversion CA93->CA95 would be wonderful :-)

Unfortunately, at the moment I have no funds available anymore for upgrading to a CA95. Nevertheless, I would be happy to rework and optimise all still relevant CA93 dual voice presets for CA95. cool

Just some ideas to get me on board: wink
1. Kawai wants to support this initiative, making a CA95 available (this would be very surprising).
2. Crowd funding by CA95/CA65 owners to make my hardware upgrade possible.

F
F
Nice idea, i will support it :-)
Or you could go in big shop and put your magic hands on a CA95, at least for a beautiful steinway chopin piano ;-)

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Or you could go in big shop and put your magic hands on a CA95, at least for a beautiful steinway chopin piano ;-)
The point is that especially my ears are not so magic in a noisy music shop and also the positioning of the CA95 typically is sub-optimal (and mixing exclusively with headphones generally is a bad idea), so the result would be underwhelming to say the least. Moreover, after developing and testdriving a preset for a few hours, I typically let it rest for like 24-hours and then try again if it still sounds as good as my fatigued ears of yesterday thought it would.

F
F
Right, i understand
Hope you can upgrade soon!!!

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hope you can upgrade soon!!!

Well, that is not going to happen, independent of budget, as seemingly on purpose Kawai crippled dual voice mode preset development with the CA95.

As you all know, I work exclusively by ear (direct feedback) and that way of working is explicitly frustrated on the CA95. tiki cursing

See also this thread:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0Mode%20in%20Kawai%20CA.html#Post1982207

The MP10 dual voice mode nightmare (compared to MP8) apparently wasn't enough...

Last edited by TADutchman; 03/09/13 03:59 AM. Reason: Severe CA95 dual voice mode issue

S
S
Dear Dutch ...

As someone who is currently considering a new CA95/97, I just wondered if you, or James, or indeed anyone, has found any solution to the simply dreadful native harpsichord sample in the Kawais by using Virtual Technician ... ie as opposed to trying to do something via Pianoteq or such like?

Best wishes, and thanks for your extensive postings over a number of years on this thread: very interesting, very informative, and very helpful!

Schama

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by TADutchman

As you all know, I work exclusively by ear (direct feedback) and that way of working is explicitly frustrated on the CA95.

This is interesting, but I don't understand. How can a digital piano (or indeed, any instrument) hinder you from playing by ear? I can understand if you have a problem with its score reading display or something, but if you're playing by ear, how does the CA95 'explicitly frustrate' your work?

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 30 of 31 1 2 28 29 30 31

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission