2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Hi,

I have been very interested in learning, performing, and sharing worthy but silenced music. This desire emerged after reading conductor James Conlon’s essay, titled “Recovering a Musical Heritage: The Music Suppressed by the Third Reich.” In this essay, he mentioned that he programs works by suppressed composers wherever possible. I particularly like one thing he said: “by keeping alive their music…, we deny those past regimes a posthumous victory.”

I now present the first installment of my silenced music series, Maggio Suite (1935) by 江文也 (translated as Bunya Koh in Japan, Wen-Yeh Chiang in Taiwan, and Wen-Ye Jiang in China). This music, to my ears, is unlike any piece of music I have heard. Hope you like it as well.

This composition has 3 pieces, each about 2 minutes:
I. Supperisco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d3pd13D-3U
II. A Mezzanotte
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jj3FiMz_u0
III. A Mezzogiorno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFiXYo4Gch0

The composer was jailed and sent to labor camp by the right-wing nationalist government and the left-wing communist government in China. His music had been banned for 4 decades. An introduction about the tragic life of this almost unknown composer can be found in the following Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Wen-Ye

Although learning standard repertoire is important to me at this age, I will try my best to work on my second silenced piece soon. If you have a suppressed piece that you think is musically satisfying, I would love to learn and share the music. Thank you for your suggestions.

Another favor that I would like to ask from you is that if you think anyone else may be interested in this music, please spread the words to keep the music alive and grows.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Interesting stuff. I like the third one the best.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like it too. My favourite is probably No.1 (from a musical point of view, although I realize it is the saddest).

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I liked all three.

The performance was also very fine.

And I've PMed you ABC! wink

A
OP Offline
A
Hi DanS, ChopinAddict, and Nikolas,

Thank you very much. I am very happy that the music has an audience.

Last edited by ABC Vermonter; 01/13/13 02:31 PM.
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Very nice! (style, heritage, backstory, playing!)
I enjoyed all three.

Please post more from this composer!

Forrest

Mompou, Cancion y Danza #6
some Chopin, some Bach (always), Debussy
My beliefs are only that unless I can prove them.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have to say it is not music to my ears but you are obviously a skilled pianist. Good luck!

rada

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by rada
I have to say it is not music to my ears but you are obviously a skilled pianist. Good luck!

rada

Hi rada,

Thank you for giving it a try.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by woodog

Please post more from this composer!

Forrest

Hi Forrest,

I will surely do so. smile

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Nikolas
I liked all three.

The performance was also very fine.

And I've PMed you ABC! wink

Hi Nikolas,

I am not quite sure whether you receive my reply; I am not quite sure about how PM works. In case you did not get the info, it is here.

The music, I beleive, was published in Japan, China, and Taiwan. My version is the one from Taiwan, titled "Jiang Wen-Ye Piano Works, Volume 1." ISBN number is 978-957-561-284-9. This volume is publshied by Mercury Publish Co. They have a website: www. Mercury-publish.com.tw. The following link directly leads to the sheet music:

http://www.mercury-publish.com.tw/index....5&PID=M8210

I think inter-library loan through a big library is the way to go.

J
J
Thank you for sharing this. It is really quite interesting music.

Are you primarily focusing on Asian composers? It seems that more has been done with European composers and compositions that were lost in that era. I love that you picked these compositions. I would love to hear more about your project.

Amazing really.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
So the Chinese now ban a countryman’s piano work for 4 decades ... presumably protecting the ears of the public at large ... more likely the bureaucratic State wielding the iron-hand.

But harking back ... some of us can still remember WWII ... when Hitler’s gangsters banned the airing of Mendelssohn’s music ...
because he had a Jewish grandmother!!

It was interesting to hear the first 2 minute piece when the Asian pianist dramatically coaxes out the range of sound of a Steinway? piano ... (there seems to be a cunning gadget under the piano for wheeling the giant Grand onto the stage).

However, it takes time for Western ears to appreciate the Eastern tang.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Thank you for sharing!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Vermonter,

Those movements are very engaging indeed! If that is you performing, then all the more praise is very well deserved. They are played most convincingly, which is essential for that level of dissonance.

I understand the references to midnight and to noon, on a day sometime in May. From the score, do you have any idea what the composer intended by "Supperisco"? (Hopefully NOT suppertime!)

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by JessicaB

Are you primarily focusing on Asian composers?

Hi JessicaB,

Thank you for asking this question. No,I am interested in suppressed music of any nationality. For example, Armenia had its dark days. I would love to learn something by Armenia composers. It is just that I have no knowledge about its music and composers at this time being.

The reason that I started with the Maggio Suite by Koh/Chiang/Jiang is that the composer and I have the same Chinese last name; we both belong to the same minority group; and, our family and the composer's family followed the same path of migration from central China to Taiwan over many centuries. I almost felt that we could be related. That kind of stikes a cord with me.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by btb
So the Chinese now ban a countryman’s piano work for 4 decades

The music was banned roughly from 1950 to 1990 in Taiwan. If someone played this music during Cultural Revolution in China, that person could be gone by the next day. The composer's works after 1950 are almost all nationalistic (Chinese) music that can serves "the people"; it was the only way the composer could keep his life in the labor camp.

Last edited by ABC Vermonter; 01/17/13 09:59 AM.
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Thank you for sharing!

Thank you for listening.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by LoPresti
If that is you performing, then

Not quite sure about what you meant. smile

A
OP Offline
A
From the score, do you have any idea what the composer intended by "Supperisco"? (Hopefully NOT suppertime!)

Ed

I do not know what exactly the composer intended by supperisco. The composer's first language is Japanese. He started to learn Chinese many years after he composed this work. smile

The composer did provide a Japanese title, in addition to Supperisco, to the first piece of the work. The title means "anticipating/foreseeing something coming."

Last edited by ABC Vermonter; 01/16/13 10:15 PM.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ABC Vermonter
From the score, do you have any idea what the composer intended by "Supperisco"? (Hopefully NOT suppertime!)

I do not know what exactly the composer intended by supperisco. The composer's first language is Japanese. He started to learn Chinese many years after he composed this work. . . . The composer did provide a Japanese title, in addition to Supperisco, to the first piece of the work. The title means "anticipating/foreseeing something coming."

Ah-ha! Got it!

While it may have minimal importance to the music itself, and while this composer is Japanese, he was obviously attempting Italian.

“Maggio” Suite = the month of May
“Mezzanotte” = midnight
“Mezzogiorno” = noon

"Supperisco" – thanks to your additional explanation, this concatenation/abbreviation of two words: "Su” + “periscopo" = "Su periscopo . . . " = “Up periscope . . . ”

It is a good thing this was written prior to 1941, or his “Up periscope” could have had a very inflammatory connotation in America.

Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission