2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, 7 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Barb,

Prior to engaging another teacher, did the parents ask you about giving the siblings a second of set of lessons each week? If so, did you ask them why they wanted this?

Tell us a little more about that conversation.
Ed

In music, everything one does correctly helps everything else.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I will reiterate what I have said on this topic many times.

For a number of years my son studied with two teachers, but sequentially during the year instead of simultaneously. His primary teacher did not teach during the summer, and I did not want him to go three months without formal instruction. But at some point, his primary teacher began to teach in the summer. Instead of using her, I kept him with the other teacher during the summer. He worked well with both teachers. They had different styles and personalities. And I saw real benefit to him of working with this other teacher over the summer. They tended to work more on lighter music, more popular stuff, and on lots of sight reading. The work he did with her was largely complementary with his other teacher's style and program. The two teachers knew each other as well, and they got along just fine.

I would not be inclined toward simultaneous lessons with two teachers unless those teachers coordinated quite fully and completely, and this would be especially true if the student is quite young. The potential for confusion and misunderstanding seems too great.

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by LoPresti
Barb,

Prior to engaging another teacher, did the parents ask you about giving the siblings a second of set of lessons each week? If so, did you ask them why they wanted this?

Tell us a little more about that conversation.
Ed

I was asked to come to their home to work with them in the evenings and said no.
(this would have been in addition to their 45 minute lessons with me once per week, at my studio). Parents wanted more teaching time for the kids. I said 45 minutes per week (kids are ages 6 and 8) for lessons was enough in my opinion.

Piano Teacher
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
I will reiterate what I have said on this topic many times.

For a number of years my son studied with two teachers, but sequentially during the year instead of simultaneously. His primary teacher did not teach during the summer, and I did not want him to go three months without formal instruction. But at some point, his primary teacher began to teach in the summer. Instead of using her, I kept him with the other teacher during the summer. He worked well with both teachers. They had different styles and personalities. And I saw real benefit to him of working with this other teacher over the summer. They tended to work more on lighter music, more popular stuff, and on lots of sight reading. The work he did with her was largely complementary with his other teacher's style and program. The two teachers knew each other as well, and they got along just fine.

I would not be inclined toward simultaneous lessons with two teachers unless those teachers coordinated quite fully and completely, and this would be especially true if the student is quite young. The potential for confusion and misunderstanding seems too great.

I understand what you are saying and agree completely. Thanks for your take on this.

Piano Teacher
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I was asked to come to their home to work with them in the evenings and said no.

To work with them means to learn a new piece or to monitor the practice?

I had some parents ask me if I can introduce anyone in high-school for them to "babysit the practice session" at home twice a week for a cheaper price of taking real piano lesson.

Just curious what is the motivation of the parents.

Piano lessons in Irvine, CA
Follow my 4YO student here: http://bit.ly/FollowMeiY
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
I called and spoke with both parents on a conference call. They want the kids to be "the best they can be" and therefore want as much teaching as possible.
They have asked teacher #2 to help the kids practice, 2 nights per week, one hour per kid each night. They will practice the material we cover at lessons at my studio .
This teacher will also help the kids with their school homework as well.

We'll see how this goes. I brought up the concern of confusing the kids with possible conflicting information and the parents seemed to be on board with me on that. I'll report back here, hoping this situation works. thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Piano Teacher
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860

(this would have been in addition to their 45 minute lessons with me once per week, at my studio). Parents wanted more teaching time for the kids. I said 45 minutes per week (kids are ages 6 and 8) for lessons was enough in my opinion.

What I hear from my friends in Asia is that it is not at all unusual for parents to hire a piano tutor (usually college students in music majors) to supervise their children's practice at home. These are very different from lessons. The tutors are there to make sure that the kids follow teachers' instructions during practice. For parents who don't have any training in music, this adds structure and guidance in addition to weekly lessons.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hi Barb
I think this is a best scenario you could have. Looks like they are having a "piano tutor" that will follow your instruction when supervising the practice.
I hope I can have more parents like this.

You know some people hire math tutor to teach at home to supplement the teaching at school. I think it is the same idea.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
So maybe this is a language thing?
What they hired is actually a tutor/monitor, not a teacher.

Very common among the wealthier Asian families. You, the teacher's instruction will still be taken as Bible.

Supervised practice is great adjunct to learning. In fact, that was my role at home to some extent, especially when my son was a beginner/intermediate student.

But it's not restricted to annoying parents and young students. Look at how many of the good summer festivals work (Interlochen, for example). You get a certain amount of lesson time and you get a certain amount of supervised practice over your 4 or 8 week experience. Supervised practice is not a pedagogical novelty. It's well used.

M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
A tutor is a very different scenerio. Interesting.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
M
M
I called and spoke with both parents on a conference call. They want the kids to be "the best they can be" and therefore want as much teaching as possible.
They have asked teacher #2 to help the kids practice, 2 nights per week, one hour per kid each night. They will practice the material we cover at lessons at my studio .

We'll see how this goes. I brought up the concern of confusing the kids with possible conflicting information and the parents seemed to be on board with me on that. I'll report back here, hoping this situation works. thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Since this is the case, I would insist that you discuss things with this teacher. Communication between you two will be very important. If a student is having trouble practicing such-and-such measures in this piece, wouldn't it be great to know that's been an issue at the next lesson? I think an initial phone conversation with teacher #2 would be needed, and then after that this teacher can just send you follow-up emails once a week regarding their practice sessions.

A concern that I have, however, is that part of the value of studying an instrument is learning how to problem-solve independently. I anticipate that you will run into the same issue that students whose parents play piano and are too involved in practice time by demonstrating how it goes, correcting wrong notes, etc. The student makes lots of progress but doesn't fully get to understand how to deal with these things on their own.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
An hour's guided practice is a lot for a 6 year old.

B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by musicpassion
A tutor is a very different scenerio. Interesting.

Teacher #2 is a piano teacher. Kids and parents refer to her as such.

Piano Teacher
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

Yes, no kidding! Just one of several concerns I have.

Piano Teacher
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Since this is the case, I would insist that you discuss things with this teacher. Communication between you two will be very important. If a student is having trouble practicing such-and-such measures in this piece, wouldn't it be great to know that's been an issue at the next lesson? I think an initial phone conversation with teacher #2 would be needed, and then after that this teacher can just send you follow-up emails once a week regarding their practice sessions.

A concern that I have, however, is that part of the value of studying an instrument is learning how to problem-solve independently. I anticipate that you will run into the same issue that students whose parents play piano and are too involved in practice time by demonstrating how it goes, correcting wrong notes, etc. The student makes lots of progress but doesn't fully get to understand how to deal with these things on their own.

Morodiene, you raise excellent points. Thanks for helping me think this through.

Piano Teacher
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Morodiene

If the parent himself/herself supervises the children's practice, would you insist on doing the same? If not, why insist doing it with the tutor? We don't have a tutor. But if we asked our teacher to be the tutor as well and got a "no", then we hire our own tutor, and then our teacher insists on getting an update from the tutor every week, I'd feel this is stepping over boundaries.

It's just like school teachers do not ask for weekly updates from tutors that parents hire for their kids, unless the tutors are hired because the school teachers asked the parents to hire tutors so as to work with the teachers. Piano tutor may be uncommon in some cultures, but in some others is not at all unusual. Perhaps a good idea is to be open-minded about it and let the parents do what they choose to do at home.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ten left thumbs

It depends on WHICH 6 year-old. Children's development has vast variations at the same age.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I am with ChildofParadise.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How about trying the classic homework notebook? Write down what is to be worked on, what to focus on and for how long? That way the students can bring it with them to the new "tutor" and everyone can be on the same page...

Not a teacher just a thought (I bring a piano homework book to my teacher and I'm an adult! LOL)

Last edited by BeccaBb; 01/17/13 03:18 PM.

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission