2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

OTOH I think it's also been established that the question is not really important.

I don't think that that has been established at all. For my part, I think that it is a really important question. A very really important question.
Why do you think itls important?

W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Thank you for the replies. While it is not particularly important to me whether a piece I play is considered a "major" work, I certainly am curious. Surely there must be some common ground/criteria for detemining whether a particular work for solo piano is considered to be "major". If piano competitions are using the term without providing specific guidlelines, there must an assumption as to what those guidelies or determinig factors are.

If we know, for example, that a single Chopin etude is not a major work or that a more lengthy piece like Mozart's K.265 or K.511 is not a major work but we know that Beethoven's Op.53 is a major work, we are already using some preconceived factors which I would guess are primarly the length and complexity of the piece. While the Mozart K265 is perhaps lengthy enough, it is not particularly complex. While a chopin etude may be complex enough, it is not particulary lengthy.

confused

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

Why do you think itls important?

Good question. When you recognize that a work is major, you take measure of what has gone into creating it ... and of what it will take you to understand it.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Works1
a single Chopin etude is not a major work

I'd just like to point out: a single Chopin étude is not only not a major work, it is not a work.

I wish to add that, the Chopin études are not, in my opinion, complex. Still, and always in my opinion of course, the Chopin études are a major work. If there is any sense at all in the term, which I believe there is indeed, the Chopin études are a major work.

Last edited by landorrano; 01/16/13 06:39 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

I'd just like to point out: a single Chopin étude is not only not a major work, it is not a work.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Landoro’s English is pretty damn good ...
considering that it is not his native Catalan tongue ... but misses the mark in saying of an Etude

“I'd just like to point out: a single Chopin étude
is not only not a major work, it is not a work.”

What he might have wanted to say is that FC’s Etudes are STUDIES ...
intended as experimental keyboard gyrations,
bits of which to use in later compositions.

Forgive the intrusion ... for the records, my Catalan is ropey ... as bad as my Hebrew (written backwards).

F
F
I thought the Rondo in A minor (K511) is usually considered one of Mozart's finest piano works. Wouldn't that usually qualify as a major work? It's pretty musically complex, and often played in programmes and competitions.

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
Thank you for the replies. While it is not particularly important to me whether a piece I play is considered a "major" work, I certainly am curious. Surely there must be some common ground/criteria for determining whether a particular work for solo piano is considered to be "major". If piano competitions are using the term without providing specific guidelines, there must an assumption as to what those guidelines or determining factors are.
I think one can see from the replies in this thread there are not hard and fast rules about what is a "major work" so many pieces fall into some nebulous grey area in the middle where there will not be unanimous agreement.

So there is not common ground/criteria that can be used for all pieces. But there are many pieces at each end of the spectrum from the most minor to the most major work that most everyone would agree on. For example, I doubt anyone would say Grieg's Arietta is a major work or that Beethoven's Op.111 is not a major work. I think most would use some combination of length and technical/musical difficulty in their deciding.

OTOH the only situation mentioned so far where knowing if something is a major work is really important is when one is playing in a competition or audition and the requirement says something like "A major work from the Classical period". If one has any doubts about a piece one is thinking of playing then you can just contact the people in charge and they will tell you if your piece qualifies.

Otherwise I think the entire discussion is just a question of semantics, and there is no hard and fast rule any more than there is a rule for defining a "masterpiece".

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/16/13 11:16 AM.

Why do you think it's important?

Good question. When you recognize that a work is major, you take measure of what has gone into creating it ... and of what it will take you to understand it.
Whether a work is "major" or not is not always black and white. It can depend on one's personal definition.

I think one should just, when learning any piece, do whatever is needed to play it the best one can. If a piece is more difficult or more "major" then it's obvious one will have to do more work to learn it, but I don't think one has to know exactly how "major" a piece is. In fact, there is no general agreement on this question.

The entire discussion really just semantics. Pne might as well try and define what a "beautiful" piece is.

Why do you this so? I think most would say "work" is just another name for "piece" and that a single etude qualitifes as both.

F
F
Why do you this so? I think most would say "work" is just another name for "piece" and that a single etude qualitifes as both.
Certainly, and if I have do decide what it deserves to be called the most between "work" and "piece", I would go with "work". A piece is a work, a study is also a work. Everything Chopin created deserves to be called a work. Everything any composer creates deserves to be called a work.

W
Works1 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by fj_s
I thought the Rondo in A minor (K511) is usually considered one of Mozart's finest piano works. Wouldn't that usually qualify as a major work? It's pretty musically complex, and often played in programmes and competitions.

Whatever K.511 is considered, I find it to be one of Mozart's most beautiful and intriguing works for solo piano.

B
B
Odd, I tend to use the word 'work' more often in relation to big works like Havergal Brian's 'Gothic' Symphony, or Mahler's 8th, or Bruckner's 8th. Or Bach's Goldberg or Beethoven's Diabelli. Anything less than 3 minutes and single movement is a 'piece'...... wink

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
F
Another solution to how to use the word "work" might be to use it to the composers who has put a lot of effort in their music! wink For example, it is said that Chopin worked very hard with perfecting his pieces(therefore his pieces are works), while Schubert spitted out new music as often as he took a new breath(therefore he never wrote a single work)! wink

This is of course just a joke smile

B
B
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
..... while Schubert spitted out new music as often as he took a new breath(therefore he never wrote a single work)! wink

This is of course just a joke smile

Schubert's Der Hirt auf dem Felsen is a work, but An die Musik is a piece.....

Or maybe, they're just songs, or Lieder grin.

F
F
Yes but how much effort did Schubert in Did Hirt auf dem Felsen? I mean, he was such a huge talent that it seems he could write down his music without even thinking, therefore, he never wrote a single work wink That's not to say that his pieces actually are works(these sounds wierd), but what I mean is, he probably did not have to WORK as hard as the majority of composers in order to get his ideas down wink

B
B
Well, Mozart composed whole operas and symphonies and concertos in his head while playing billiards wink......and he composed his greatest symphonies (no.39 - 41) in less than 3 months, even though he wasn't commissioned and probably didn't even know whether they would ever be performed.

F
F
I haven't forgotten about Mozart of course, but he is veryyyy famous for his talent. I think Schubert deserves more recognition when it comes to talent. I mean, in a year(at the age of 18(!!!!) he wrote over 20 000 bars of music, which included nine church works, a symphony, four sonatas and 150(!) lieders(he wrote several of them in just a day) and a lot more! shocked

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
The études of Chopin are a work, one etude is a part of a work and is not a work in itself. A major work. Chopin hears Paganini, decides to write not an étude but a set of études, a veritable manifesto. "Hats off, gentlemen, we're in the prescence of a genious."

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by btb
Landoro’s English is pretty damn good ...

You're darn tootin'! And my South African: "a weem o weh, a weem o weh" !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission