2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Hi everyone, it was a long time since I posted here, but now I am back, and I have a little question that I would like your help on answering! smile

I have recently learnt Beethoven's Op 13 and Op 90, and my teacher now lets me decide between learning Op 26, Op 27 No 2 and Op 78, but I cannot decide which one to learn first, as I want to learn all of them in the future. Which of these three sonatas would be the most beneficial to learn first in regards to technique and musicality? I am thinking it would be nice to learn Op 78 first, as it is the shortest, but somehow Op 26 feels more beneficial.. What do you guys think? smile

A
A
Op.26 would be most beneficial to you, because of its scale, and musical and technical difficulties. But after attempting the hard op.90 sonata, you won't be making huge improvements in technique by choosing one of the three you have suggested. They are wonderful pieces of music, but if you are looking at it from a didactic perspective, you should try a harder Beethoven Sonata. Look at Op.2 No.3, Op.10 No.3, Op.22, Op.31(any of the three), Op.54. These are a step above in technical and musical difficulties(barring Op.26, which is musically difficult) but should be manageable for you. Give them a listen on youtube with the score from imslp, then ask your teacher about which of these you should choose.

Schumann Carnaval, Op.9
Debussy Prelude Book 1, No.6 and No. 7
Bach WTC1 Prelude and Fugue No. 1 in C Major

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Hi, Franz! A couple of comments:

1 You SHOULD eventually learn all three -- they're all great, in their various ways.
2 Personally, I gravitate to Op 26, given that you've studied OPs 13 and 90. I don't think that one's played enough, and I consider it vintage Beethoven -- it's virtually an introduction to all of his different styles of musical expression, and from a technical standpoint is in the same "ballpark" as Op 13 and OP 90.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I learned Op. 26, then Op. 13, then Op. 78 and then Op. 27, No. 2. The last movement of "Moonlight" probably pushed my technique more than the other three. But that's just me.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
F
OP Offline
F
Thank you all for you opinions. arpan70, I will look up the other sonatas you mentioned too!
Tim, I will absolutely learn them all eventually, and I feel drawn to Op 26, as I like every single movement of it.
DameMyra, that's an interesting comment, as I would have thought the Op 27 2 to be the easiest of the ones mentioned, but how did you feel about the Op 78 contra Op 26? Which one felt most beneficial/most difficult(if that's a fare thing to ask)?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Both Op. 26 and Op. 78 have technical and musical problems. The first movement in each requires excellent voicing ability. The Funeral March also requires wonderful voicing. The Scherzo of Op. 26 has a few treacherous moments technically. The left hand run and the double thirds in the right hand are difficult at tempo. (Also, the left hand run is just plain awkward. I used Beethoven's fingering.) Op. 78 has a similar awkward left hand run in the first movement. The last movement of Op. 26 lies, for the most part, pretty well under the hand. It really depends on the tempo you take it. My teacher wanted it Richter fast. The chief technical difficulty for the second movement of Op. 78 is getting the two-note phrasing correct at tempo. (Also for some reason, I found that second movement maddeningly difficult to memorize.)

I don't have the fastest fingers or a great arpeggio technique, which is why I benefited most from Op. 27, No.2.

Last edited by DameMyra; 01/14/13 04:18 PM.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would also add my opinion as op. 26. While they're all great pieces, there is the most to learn from op. 26 I think - you have the theme and variation form in the first movement, the funeral march in the 3rd, and that technical workout in the last movement (Which is a great introduction to rotation). Lots of variety.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
My personal feeling is that Op.26 is somewhat easier technically than the other two. Any of them would enhance your(or anyone else's) technique and musicianship. They're all terrific, and you can't go even slightly wrong choosing any of them. IMO any piece either equal to or above but within reach of your current technical and musucal level is beneficial.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/14/13 06:28 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I might as well take this opportunity to ask...

I'm currently playing his Pathetique sonata. What is a good next step?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If the sonatas seem more than you can chew at one time, then take a look a the bagatelles. They're short and sweet and some are very challenging musically and technically. People forget about the bagatelles too often.

Do or do not. There is no try.
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Just as a build on Ralph's comment, I'd also look at a number of the Variations that Beethoven wrote on different themes of the times. Many of these have challenging technical things, but also lots of charming moments, like the Bagatelles. Most of these ar "WoO" or without Opus Number, but there are many treasures to be had.

F
OP Offline
F
I have decided to go for either Op 26 or both Op 27 2 and Op 78 at the same time

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I am studying Op.26 right now. I had played it in the past, but I am diving deeper into it now. I like in particular Var.3 and the Funeral March.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert
I have decided to go for either Op 26 or both Op 27 2 and Op 78 at the same time

It doesn't sound as though your "decision" is very conclusive when it's "either ... or."

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
J
J
Schiff has lectures on each of the sonatas. You can reference them through Wikapedia. Just go to the sonata (by number). This is a terrific way to learn more about them, and perhaps it can help you to make up your mind.

My son has been studying Op. 26 on and off for a few years. He started with the last movement a couple of years ago and is working on the first movement now. There is so much in that (and any) Beethoven sonata that you probably cannot go wrong with studying it. I like the variations of the first movement because in isolation they are somewhat pedagogical (almost like a short etude) while also being part of the bigger whole.

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Franz Beebert

It doesn't sound as though your "decision" is very conclusive when it's "either ... or."

Very true.. Except now I choose between two alternatives instead of three wink

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Just a word (well a few) ...

The first movement of the Beethoven Opus 26 Andante con variazioni ... is decidedly scrappy (spotty and disjointed) ... it’s almost as though Beethoven has gone back to his Mozartian origins ... and to think ... he had already pinned his masterful colours to the mast with his breathtaking Pathetique Sonata Opus 13.

Why the backward step?

Perhaps a brief case of “looking back” before striding boldly into the future to stun the world with a basketful of unprecedented masterpieces.

Look at the retrospective opening 8 measures of the first movement ... and the repeat of same 9-16 ... together with the jumpy p-cr-p-cr-p ...
but then we all get bowled over with the sombre 3rd movement Marcia funebre sulla morte ...
how many have gone to their graves to the sound of Beethoven’s music.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
btb: apart from the fact that I disagree with your opinions on Op26 1st movement, your logic of always moving forward would mean that only Op111 is worth listening to, as everything else is inferior, being merely part of Beethoven's progress as a composer.

Personally I think Op26 has qualities - including the first movement - which are just as compelling musically as anything in Op13. Just different aspects of a great musical mind. A mind which moved in all directions, forwards, sideways and backwards to stunning effect.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If only Dorset would read my response more clearly, he might glean that “moving forward” is in reference to the structure of the first movement of the Beethoven Sonata Opus 26 ... which is, as previously said is “looking backward” ... merely rehashing the antiquated structural format of a Mozartian Age.

PS I'm presently playing the Marche funebre sulla morte d'un eroe (thrid movement)... to get the feel of the graveyard ...
but chaps, I don't want to die yet!

The use of non-sonata form first movements is definitely something that Beethoven experimented with, and he may well have taken a cue from Mozart K. 331.

Op. 26 seems almost a precursor to Brahms Op. 120#2 (last movement) in that the variations show more textural development than melodic, as is the case in Mozart's variation sets and Beethoven's WoO variations.

The minuet is very traditional. The slow movement is, of course, the centerpiece of the work, especially because of the key. Ab minor! Such a striking sonority in the days when tuning systems weren't particularly well suited to such worlds.

The last movement is also traditional, similar in style to Haydn L. 31, in the same key, meter, and spirit. (Though Beethoven gets credit for inventing a rather disjunct theme that comes of as more elegant than perhaps it should.)

I'm a big fan of Op. 26. In the grand scheme of things, I agree with btb (I know, I'm as surprised as anyone!), it is a look back to the past, paying hommage to Haydn and Mozart, a nod to his classical roots before diving into completely unknown territory in the Op. 27 sonatas.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission