2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 13 invisible), 2,156 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I wrote the following ... The sound system - I said that I did not play with the volume cranked up but to be perfectly honest, I never play with the volume cranked up. The NU1 sounded just fine.

I went back and reread my entries and I apparently did not refer earlier in this thread to the sound system. I think I must have written about it and then edited my post for some reason. This is no big deal, I'm just trying to be honest and accurate.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by 36251
Ando, I think there's more with gravity that makes grand better.

Yes, no doubt that is true, but i don't think we should exaggerate it. A nice upright action is very expressive and still better than the miniaturised grand actions found in modern DPs, IMO.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I played I believe a N1 (or NU1) today. Not sure.
It had a list price of $15k, they told be it was a 2011 model and would to $10k on it.

It felt real.

However, there is a CLV 465G i like. Leaving slab world though.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Possum PX130350
I played I believe a N1 (or NU1) today. Not sure.
It had a list price of $15k, they told be it was a 2011 model and would to $10k on it.

Retail prices in my part of the world:

NU1 - $4,699
N1 - $7,500

S
S
When I made the deal on my N1, I didn't see the NU1 on the floor, or I would have played one. To be honest, I didn't ask to see one because I was convinced I wanted grand piano action. My N1 has proven a great practice tool for classical -- it allows me to play deep, and I'm able to easily adapt to my teacher's 9 ft grand. That being said, you have piqued my curiosity about the NU1. These hybrids are excellent practice pianos when one has the need to keep the volume turned down.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
S
S
Dave, I forgot to mention, when I bought my N1, the store manager told me I will need to have the action regulated about every 3 years. You might consider having a Yamaha-trained tuner-technician adjust the action on your N3 before buying a new one.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Susan_B
Dave, I forgot to mention, when I bought my N1, the store manager told me I will need to have the action regulated about every 3 years. You might consider having a Yamaha-trained tuner-technician adjust the action on your N3 before buying a new one.

Susan, I had the action of my GranTouch worked on after I had it for five years or so. It doesn't have to be a 'Yamaha trained tech' per se, a grand action is basically a grand action. At least the hammers don't need to be needled. smile

The GranTouch wasn't too difficult to open. I removed the action several times myself. The AvantGrand poses a slightly more difficult challenge.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Susan_B
These hybrids are excellent practice pianos when has the need to keep the volume turns down.

+1, just that precisely.

They are different instruments IMHO from many digitals, which usually have lots more functions and capabilities. Each to his/her own requirement, and there are many excellent digitals (ignoring the quest on this forum for technical perfection).

I do 'extend' mine and add extra sounds (organs and EP's is what I'm occasionally interested in) by using midi. But my priority is the piano action.

Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The last time I played on both (N1 and NU1 beside each other) I found I liked the action on the NU1 better. I first time however I preferred the N1.

The order in which I played on them were reversed so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but I did got back and forth on them. It may be the NU1 floor model was newer and it felt like that action was deeper somehow, the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Anyways, I think my dp upgrade will probably favor the NU1 because of price, looks, and sound. It would be a bonus that I prefer its action as well.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Vid
The last time I played on both (N1 and NU1 beside each other) I found I liked the action on the NU1 better. I first time however I preferred the N1.

In my experience, the second impression is always the one to trust.

Originally Posted by Vid

. . . . the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Interesting. I've also read the opposite, that the action of the NU1 seems lighter than the N1.

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by Vid

In my experience, the second impression is always the one to trust.

Originally Posted by Vid

. . . . the N1 action that time felt overly light.

Interesting. I've also read the opposite, that the action of the NU1 seems lighter than the N1.

I've played the N1 and the NU1 side by side a few times now (well, they were, and still are side by side at the showroom....) and there's no question that the NU1's action is lighter, and more like that of an acoustic piano. The N1's action is heavier/more sluggish than that of any acoustic I've ever played - the Yamaha acoustic grands and uprights, including the CFX and CF-IIIS, are upstairs in the same premises, so it's an easy matter for me to check.

The N1 and NU1, I should add, have been there on display for some months (the N1 for slightly longer) but to all intents and purposes, their conditions are as new, unlike the N3 (which felt somewhat looser, having been on display for over 3 years).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
S
I guess I should have played the darn thing (NU1) before making my purchase. The store manager had told me the NU1 definitely has upright action. I was looking for the deep feel of the grand action.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Since these have real piano actions I think you could have a technician work on them and regulate them to your personal preference. The lightness/heaviness factor should be highly adjustable.

On the other hand are there technicians who specialize in hybrids? (I doubt it!)

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Vid
Since these have real piano actions I think you could have a technician work on them and regulate them to your personal preference. The lightness/heaviness factor should be highly adjustable.

On the other hand are there technicians who specialize in hybrids? (I doubt it!)

I think this has been discussed before. There is a thread where an N1 keyboard had some adjustments done, but not really a regulation. It was done by a certified Yamaha engineer.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Susan, Don't think about it. The grand action on your N1 is great for your continued inspiration. I don't care what anyone says here, upright action is not as good. I'm sure the same people will argue with me but I've lived with upright action for too many years and I never could sit and be inspired to practice as long as I can do now that I have my AG. I'd had plenty of good pianists come by, and they all love the action.

You made a good decision! stop reading and thinking and enjoy the moments you play.

Last edited by 36251; 01/15/13 04:52 PM.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
S
S
Thanks, 36251. You are right.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
T
T
I played the N1 and NU1 side by side when I was deciding what DP to buy. To be honest I didn't find that much difference between their actions. If anything, the NU1 was a little snappier to return, but that could just be because it was a bit newer. NU1 was possibly a bit lighter too, but there wasn't a lot in it.

We went for the NU1 in the end, and I'm glad we did. It looks great in our living room, and the whole family are really happy with it.

Cheers

Matt

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
New post on Youtube about the NU1 from Cosmo Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP1CKnDVhYA

Sounds nice.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
S
S
HwyStar, Nice video demonstrating the NU1's features. But even this dealer admits it's an upright action. The store manager who sold me my N1 said he was able to offer me a good deal because most people looking for a hybrid piano can't tell the difference between the NU1 and N1 -- that being said, he indicated there is clearly a difference: grand vs. upright action. The NU1 looks very nice, but I'm happy with my choice.

Yamaha Avantgrand N1
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission