2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
B
Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

bulad scot
B
B
Originally Posted by Entheo
by my math the C7X translates to $50k USD, which seems quite a low retail price (piano buyer lists a new C7 here in the states at $65K MSRP)

Google
330000 sek in usd
->
330000 Swedish Krona equals
50290.35 US Dollar

I now verified that I got the price right and it was. To tell you the truth I don't know what prices they have on the website. I assume it is not what the retailer pays Yamaha, so it must be prices for "consumers".

But since few private individuals buy grand pianos, the prices may be for corporations or organizations (schools, cities etc) and they don't pay VAT. So the prices might be excluding VAT. BUT the yamaha website is directed to consumers at large, so then it is not allowed to advertise prices without VAT, and especially not if you don't indicate that the VAT is not included.

And anyways, since the VAT is so low or non existing in the USA the prices should be comparable.

Current: Yamaha Clavinova
Sold: Yamaha M5J Walnut
Playing ability: Absolute Beginner(s)
B
B
Originally Posted by buladscot
Someone convince me this thead is not advertising.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Well, as long as there isn't a long sales pitch for a specific dealer or "deal to be had" I don't find it that disturbing.

For digital pianos the best youtube-demo-videos is usually those from big internet dealers. 1 minute sales, talk 15 minutes info, 1 minute sales talk. I can live with that if I get a good picture of the product. Compare that with for example yamahas 2 minute quick info video...

K
K
I find this informative. This is more news than advertisement - it's a huge update to one of the world's most popular piano lines. I played the C3X and found it nothing like the C3. I'm considering buying one.

Besides, if they really wanted to clean up annoying advertising, they'd ban Norbert from sending PMs. That man is prolific.

Last edited by KillerCharlie; 01/09/13 03:10 PM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

Pianist and Piano Teacher
B
B
Originally Posted by musicpassion
I think the thread can be informative. But since there is also an advertising aspect, I'm going to share my (negative) thoughts on the advertismement part:

If the guy on the video would stop talking so much it would be easier to hear the piano.

I think the musical selection was a poor choice as it doesn't reveal what the sustained tone sounds like or if the piano can carry a singing line well. I'd rather hear a Chopin Nocturne - that reveals more about the piano IMHO.

Salesman guy says on the video, "Raise the musical standards even further"? Fine. Every piano builder seems to make claims like this. Personally, I didn't like the sound of the piano. But what can I really tell through a recording and my computer speakers? Maybe I'd love it in person.

About the information part: I'm glad to hear there is continued development on the Yamaha pianos - I've had many happy moments playing Yamaha pianos.

To be able to properly judge the tone and sound of a piano I think one needs far better apparatus for
a) recording
b) storage and encoding
c) playback
than is the case in 99.999% of all youtube video views. Regardsless of irritating voice-over or not.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I think you are all overly critical.

It is a promotional video. It is not meant to entertain.

Good grief.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
. However, when a major manufacturer comes out with a significant new line of instruments it is news.

Wondering how much is "significantly new"

Significant upgrade in design and material like the Yamaha S-series would have to cost also "significantly higher cost".

The "German felt" thing is something I have never understood as it seems to be be widely used in the industry - why not simply use full "Renner" or "Abel" hammers?

Recently played two of the new C3X series but would need to try some more. Noted major improvements in bass and mid-range.

Very nice pianos with great power projection!

Norbert thumb

Last edited by Norbert; 01/12/13 03:12 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
norbert you crack me up.

K
K
norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KillerCharlie
norbert you crack me up.

He sent me a long, rambling PM telling me that Japanese pianos are terrible and I would regret buying one. It was pretty ridiculous, but it did crack me up.

norbert can take comfort in the recent Public Policy Poll that ranks used car (substitute certain piano) salesmen edging out Congress re: who the public has a higher opinion of.

11% are still not sure. i'm leaning toward Congress on this one.

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_Natl_010813_.pdf

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
norbert you crack me up.

I could say the same about most euro trash pianos .....

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
Online Content
norbert you crack me up.

If this is true I'd suggest you contact moderators as this is , I believe, against forum rules.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies. i see that norbert has edited his post of january 10th AFTER a number of us commented on its content, thereby completely corrupting the context & audit trail.

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

Last edited by Withindale; 01/14/13 09:21 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
note/request to frank/moderators: BBS software should NOT allow edits to posts after subsequent posts/replies

Entheo

It is sometimes necessary to edit a post soon after posting to correct typos, grammar, facts, bad English, unclear statements, ill judged comments, etc. Your request would mean none of that is possible if someone posts one second later. How can that be justified, Norbert excepted?

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

Last edited by Entheo; 01/14/13 09:56 AM.
B
B
Originally Posted by Withindale

Entheo

good forum software allows a window for editing (60 seconds to a few minutes OR until someone has replied or a subsequent post has been made). this provides the poster with the opportunity to make corrections. it's also encumbent upon the poster to preview his/her post in case someone does post a reply quickly. it's called reviewing before publishing.

HOWEVER, once a subsequent post (i.e. reply) has been made, to allow editing means that the poster can MATERIALLY change the content of their post. for example, i post "do you think steinways are good pianos?" and get a bunch of YES replies, then i go back and change the post to read "do you think steinways are overpriced pianos?". i then copy the thread and use it to support the latter.

organizations go to great lengths to prevent liabilities like this, on public and private forums. Sarbanes–Oxley deals with issues like this, and as someone who is intimately involved in developing enterprise information mgmt software i can tell you that we could never expose our software auditing capabilities to a breech of this kind.

i would also point out that norbert's post was on January 10, 2013 11:01 PM and was edited on January 12, 2013 04:12 AM. he materially changed his post, rendering our replies confusing at best. his edits reinforce my post about congress vs. used car salesmen in a race to the bottom of public opinion.

While I can understand how you look at things, I think you are confusing running a business, a country or a trial with using a fun, informal and informative forum.

Your example of Steinway above, if they are overpriced or not, only bear relevance for those here who use their real name. For me, as an anonymous nobody I couldn't care less about such an edit. And for those who use their real name, I think most people are smarter than judging anybody based on such things.

While I could support change to a 5 minute editing window, I also like the possibility to change my posts later to add new information, like I've done to my first post here:
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20vs%20Kawai%20-%20how%20grand%20pi.html

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
frank has a sticky topic entitled "Can I Say That on the Forum?" regarding online comments that spark lawsuits. frank is obviously aware of the liabilities, and if i were him i would treat this accordingly.

from an end user point of view this audit breech undermines my confidence in posting to this BBS, knowing that the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.

S
S
Have posts on PW been immutable in the 9 years since you joined? The only forum I've ever belonged to that didn't allow editing of posts has since allowed editing due to popular demand. I've yet to see a forum thread's meaning get entirely changed by an edit and it would get detected pretty quickly if it did.

If review before publication was a high priority then I'd not see rampant capitalization errors in the posts above.

-Steve
1969 Yamaha U3
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
the meanings of my replies can be distorted after the fact by edits to the originating posts.

Quotes obviate this problem.

Last edited by Withindale; 01/14/13 10:49 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission