2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
While people's hearts are certainly in the right place, it seems more appropriate to me to adhere to the families wishes and donate to her children. This would directly benefit her family in a meaningful way instead of buying a piano for one of thousands of deserving kids that she never even knew.

It's clearly none of my business what other people want to do but that's just my opinion.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Ariel #2013963 01/13/13 04:13 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
this was more along the lines of what i was thinking of too, amanda. an "apple award" --possibly granted annually for the best beginner's forum and pianist's forum performance. something along those lines. we could come up with a modest prize for the honoree.

to me it's about remembering her, and that doesn't have to be about a lot of money.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
The family is asking for donations to the fund set up for her children, I think we should all consider starting with that. http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2013860.html

I'm open to other suggestions, but anything that gets into judging often turns into a slippery slope.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
It's possible to walk several paths.

Helping her family and her children is certainly a good path to walk. And it's also an easy path. It involves writing one check and you're done.

Memorializing, however, is often about keeping a person's memory alive among a group who knew her, and using that memorial to tell others who never knew her what she was like. That's the harder path.

To do it you must build something permanent, which becomes the mechanism of remembrance. Creating that mechanism involves overcoming the "large committee" problem of too many ideas and no process for selecting among them. Every idea for remembering Apple at PW will mean some work for some people, and possibly some judgments. And every possible idea someone lays out will clearly have a potential downside that someone here can imagine (and will articulate at length in a thread like this). Coming to a decision this way is virtually impossible.

If people want to work on a specifically PW memorial, I would suggest that Frank delegate the responsibility of chewing on a bunch of ideas to a small committee. That committee could get open feedback from the board using a thread like this. But at some point, the group should go into private session to evaluate the goals, options, resources, and risks. After weighing the alternatives, come back to us with a decision and a plan.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Piano*Dad, thank you for your thoughtful comments. I will be donating to the family. Unfortunately I am not able to commit time to organizing something at PW, although if others are able to do something I would like to support that as well.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
It's possible to walk several paths.

Helping her family and her children is certainly a good path to walk. And it's also an easy path. It involves writing one check and you're done.

Memorializing, however, is often about keeping a person's memory alive among a group who knew her, and using that memorial to tell others who never knew her what she was like. That's the harder path.

To to it you must build something permanent, which becomes the mechanism of remembrance. Creating that mechanism involves overcoming the "large committee" problem of too many ideas and no process for selecting among them. Every idea for remembering Apple at PW will mean some work for some people, and possibly some judgments. And every possible idea someone lays out will clearly have a potential downside that someone here can imagine (and will articulate at length in a thread like this). Coming to a decision this way is virtually impossible.

If people want to work on a specifically PW memorial, I would suggest that Frank delegate the responsibility of chewing on a bunch of ideas to a small committee. That committee could get open feedback from the board using a thread like this. But at some point, the group should go into private session to evaluate the goals, options, resources, and risks. After weighing the alternatives, come back to us with a decision and a plan.

Bravo P*D!

I will be giving directly to the family, but I would be happy to be involved in any memorial committee, if Frank chooses to go that route.

Many good ideas have been thrown out there. Thank you all who have responded. Although I never met apple* in person, we spoke by phone countless times and I consider her a friend.

(She might have considered me a stalker wink )

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
excellent post, PD.

while i do not have the time right now to be involved in bringing a plan to fruition, i do have an idea to throw out in the wake of frank's thoughtful concerns about judging a competition.

how about ....

every year on apple's birthday (in may), we have a celebration of her life (could be called "apple day") by posting musical tributes to her. these can be recordings of original compositions or recordings of a piece we have finally mastered well enough to perform. it could be a day we look forward to and prepare for all year and an inducement to work harder at the piano and on our music. and it will hopefully inspire others to immerse themselves ever more deeply in the piano.

just one idea which others may wish to expand on or discard, as they see fit...

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Pique's idea is excellent. Everyone could participate or not.

Forming committees - who would be on it? How would they be selected (members here the longest? The most posts? The loudest? The biggest ego's? The newest members? The least known members? - who knows) Sounds like a quagmire to me. They would then decide what the rest of us should participate in? I'll bet there are already folks planning to be on said committee.

It would not be something I would participate in, in any way.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
A
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
A
I guess it makes sense to regroup as described, so that we could both (as so desired) contribute to the family's college fund AND work for a memorial on PW - largely honorary and piano/forum focused.

The absence of volunteers to help with the latter, is notable. Perhaps piano players, especially non-professionals, are by nature jealous of their time - already being challenged to squeeze in practice.

Ah, for some dedicated committee women (men) types!

Last edited by Ariel; 01/14/13 05:53 PM.

If this is coffee, bring me tea. If this is tea, bring me coffee.
~Abraham Lincoln~
Rich Galassini has already volunteered.

Ultimately, if a committee is to be formed somebody has to set it in motion, and the obvious choice is the moderators and Frank. The moderators administer and Frank owns. I think that group could delegate responsibly to a small set of stakeholders here.

To Roger's point, the number of volunteers is likely to be small, and the owner of the site (as I mentioned above) is a good choice for laying on of hands. Without an appointed group, most likely we will wind up with the loudest and most persistent voices getting their way. Either that or we'll get nothing at all done while everyone says "after you." I do not understand this fear of forming a committee.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If selected for a panel or commmitee I can be available some evenings during the week and on weekends.

Thanks,
Woody

[Linked Image]
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
wow...I've been away for so long and I come back to this news! I'm so sorry to hear. I remember apple was always a warm soul here on PW. My condolences to her family.

I. Bruton
Acoustic Pianos at home: Yamaha C3, Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Yamaha P125, Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I'm willing to volunteer.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
And Marty makes three......

Thanks,
Woody

[Linked Image]
S
S
I'm in if needed.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
It is starting to come together. Excellent!

Thanks Steve.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Memorial Music for today
-
-
-
-
Mary's Music Memorial Tues morning - virtual online.

I thought this might be a way of our being closer during Mary's Memorial Service. It would be powerful if many of us could be listening at the same time. Or at any time during the day, Tues.

With respect:

In lieu of the ability of most of us to attend Mary's service live, perhaps we can do a service online... Virtual is how many of us knew and loved her. That way we, as her online family, can partake. Together.

I do believe that her timezone is one hour different from ours on the east coast and you probably know your time difference. Her service is at 10 am Tues.

Music In Memorial:

Some music could be her beloved Bach.

One that Trucker - Big John shared on her FB page. Bach with Virgil Fox † 'Come Sweet Death' † Wanamaker Organ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xje4OYalB5Q

And another Bach shared by Jim / Palindrome. JSB signed it 'Glory to God' ( Soli Deo Gloria )
J.S. Bach - Mass B minor BWV 232 - Agnus Dei / Dona nobis pacem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...bedded&v=lzFoZftMcU4

One of Mary's Favorites
Sibelius (from Finlandia) 'Be Still My Soul'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FASG0h6-5XQ

then, Te Amamus; Requiescat In Pace written in her honor by Axtremus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehpccoQRvoU

and Rich Galassini's impromptu contribution, 'Under the Shadow of Your Wings I Will Find a Resting Place'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LePrcOi3mQg&feature=youtu.be

Then to celebrate her life we could listen to Mary's recordings:

Pacabel's 'Fantasia'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...dded&v=qr_sl_UJdKE#!

from Bach's Goldberg Variations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...bedded&v=rG1f6678ka0

"Comptine d'un autre été, l'après-midi"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...bedded&v=gsXQAhe8uYY

You will always be a part of us, Mary.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Rich, your PM box is full. Call me.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have not logged into Piano World for a long time ....and when I do, on some whim, the first thing I see is this. Quite shocking.

Apple was very welcoming to me when I joined here ages ago and I am very sad indeed to hear of her passing.

Adrian

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bump

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission