2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Just got tiks for the Apr. 10th show in Baltimore! This will be my 7th - I swear there are Les Mis freaks all over the world who attend monthly or even weekly...

Something about musicals that has this affect. I knew a gentleman that PAID and went to see West Side Story 12 times.

Jesus Christ Superstar had the same effect on me. Although I only saw it at the movies once and then got the tape (yes tape.) Plus, two stage productions.

South Pacific is right up there for me now, after seeing the stage production last summer (Bali Ha'i may call you.)

Les Misérables on my to do list now. Although, by the sounds of it (great review smile...thx,) I may just wait for the stage production to come back to cow town. I'm not holding my breath though.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Greener

Something about musicals that has this affect. I knew a gentlemen that PAID and went to see West Side Story 12 times.

Hi Greener - welcome to the Les Mis (et al) Discussion thread!

I can believe that about WSS - wonderful music ("Maria", "Tonight", etc.) and a great entertainment experience...

South Pacific is right up there for me now, after seeing the stage production last summer (Bali Ha'i may call you.)

I've had a debate going for years (mostly with myself laugh ) about which of the R & H musicals has the most great music - I've narrowed it down to 3: "South Pacific", "The King and I", and, of course, "The Sound of Music" - SP might just have a slight edge, but only because it contains what I think is one of the most beautiful songs ever written anywhere by anyone: "Some Enchanted Evening"!

Les Misérables on my to do list now. Although, by the sounds of it (great review smile...thx,) I may just wait for the stage production to come back to cow town. I'm not holding my breath though.

I would strongly recommend waiting - however, you could see the movie first, but only with the understanding that you're not seeing it at it's best (not even close), but only on a level that a decent High School or mediocre college production might give to it (especially with regards to the most important elements, which is the music and the singing thereof) - at least you would get an overview of the plot and the characters, which would make the live stage production more enjoyable (the plot can be a tad confusing for 1st timers) - better yet, forget the movie for now and watch the 10th Anniversary Concert version that I posted a link to above - the talent in this is world class!

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rnaple

I think perhaps you like that MASH meant something. It went from a comedy with dramatic undertones, to a drama with comedic undertones. It grew into many thoughts that meant something deep down. MASH's comedy also was much more realistic. I will always like MASH alot.

That's brilliant Ron thumb

In one sentence you've put your finger on something that I've been trying to explain to myself for years...that's the essence of the show's strong appeal for a whole lot of people, and why it continues to be popular and relevant today...you're a genius!

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Trap, I agree, I did not find Blazing Saddles at all funny- in fact, couldn't even watch the whole thing!
Now, the OLD movie, "The Producers" is quite funny but the musical adds a whole other element. You have to be prepared for a comedy, with music if you should ever see it. You know..laughter is good for the body and soul....and heart! smile

The King and I - love it!
Sound of Music (well, come on, can you be human and NOT love this based-on-true-story musical)- love it!
West Side Story- who mentioned that?
LOVE LOVE LOVE ! Romeo/Juliet love theme, catchy song and dance - the movie was spectacular, I thought! Even though Nancy Wood (wait, what was her name, eeeek!) did not sing the part of Maria.
Natalie Wood, I meant, ha!
This song nearly makes me cry every time:

I've never seen South Pacific...hmmmm.

I just realized the dancing and choreography is a big part of the entertainment in musicals for me. Superb singing is wonderful in itself, but if there is clever choreography added , well, that's about as good as it gets for me.

Last edited by piano joy; 01/12/13 02:04 PM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by piano joy
'Knock, knock'
- who's there?
'Salmon'
- salmon who?
'Salmon chanted evening...'

Sorry, I'll go away...

Richard
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Thanks for that, Richard. Added to my Arsenal laugh

I just realized the dancing and choreography is a big part of the entertainment in musicals for me. Superb singing is wonderful in itself, but if there is clever choreography added , well, that's about as good as it gets for me.

Well then, I can't resist ...

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by zrtf90
'Knock, knock'
- who's there?
'Salmon'
- salmon who?
'Salmon chanted evening...'

Sorry, I'll go away...

[Linked Image]
ai, ai , ai !

note to Greener : ok, I watched the whole 5+ minutes...
nice song, I've heard it before and....NO DANCING!
so, I give it a B at best. smile

Tonight, I see Wicked for the 2nd time. Let's see if I like it any better than the first time (thought it was OK only).

-the Beatles

R
rnaple Offline OP

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R

That's brilliant Ron thumb
...you're a genius!

I got that from the internet. Do I get any points for agreeing with it enough to rewrite it? Doh!

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
pj - nice post of "Somewhere" from WSS - I had forgotten about that lovely song...and yes, it's Natalie Wood (she of "Miracle on 34th Street" fame), but I forget who did her singing for her...just one more reason why "stars" shouldn't be used in musical movies...it's bad enough when most of them do sing, but it's really phoney when someone else has to sing for them while they fake it...

Greener - good hearing the "Dames" song again (although I'm not too sure how politically correct the term dames is anymore, but it sure sounds better than "There is Nothing Like a Person of the Female Gender") laugh

Ron - even if you did get it from the internet it takes a genius to find it and to recognize it for it's worth and truth, and to post it in the appropriate place - and then to "fess up" about the whole thing smile

Richard - that's so bad it's almost good - laughed in spite of myself (and that hurts...)

This is not an "exciting" video, but it is still the best version of this wonderful R & H ballad Salmon Chanted Evening Some Enchanted Evening from "South Pacific" that I've ever heard - all Perry ever did was smile and stand back and sing his heart out - he didn't have to do any more with this one:

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 01/13/13 11:09 AM.

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Here's a very interesting one I think you all would like...

Gee.... I remember Perry Como was huge. Here's a different take on; Some Enchanted Evening. Notice Reba all Goo Goo eyed. She really is cute. Brian is one I want to see in person.

EDIT: Thought you all would appreciate this comment that accompanied a YT of Philip Quast singing Stars...funny...but true...

I don't care if Crowe doesn't have a "Broadway" voice, as long as he can sing with feeling and nuance. The dude basically mooed like a cow through his songs and showed NO understanding of his character's motivations. If you didn't know anything about the show before seeing the movie, you'd have no idea why Javert was obsessed with Valjean or why he killed himself. Crowe was horribly miscast here.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/13/13 12:32 PM.

Ron
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
That Lea definitely has talent !

Ron, I'm almost embarrassed to ask, but Brian who?
Not sure I know him, but THAT VOICE!!! Wow!
I'd be all goo goo eyed and weak in the knees next to him, singing, too!

[Linked Image]

I should know who he is, it bothers me so!

-the Beatles

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
That Lea definitely has talent !

Ron, I'm almost embarrassed to ask,...

I should know who he is, it bothers me so!

I showed Brian earlier...he was THE Don Quixote on Broadway.
He's won Tony awards.
Brian Stokes Mitchell

EDIT: I'm surprised. He's only won one Tony award; Best Actor in Kiss Me, Kate.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/13/13 12:59 PM.

Ron
G

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
G
Turning into a fun little classic Musicals thread here. So, I must get a plug in for all time favorite rock opera;

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent posts everyone - very enjoyable!

Originally Posted by rnaple

EDIT: Thought you all would appreciate this comment that accompanied a YT of Philip Quast singing Stars...funny...but true...

I don't care if Crowe doesn't have a "Broadway" voice, as long as he can sing with feeling and nuance. The dude basically mooed like a cow through his songs and showed NO understanding of his character's motivations. If you didn't know anything about the show before seeing the movie, you'd have no idea why Javert was obsessed with Valjean or why he killed himself. Crowe was horribly miscast here.

Amen! Eat your heart out Russel!

Thought you all might like this for comparison (and to prove that Philip can be the good guy):

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Trap, Philip's singing gave me goosebumps!
I am so in awe of some of these voices!

Well, we may as well exhaust Les Mis before moving on to some other musicals....
Another couple of favorites:

-the Beatles

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
pj - thanks for the post of the "Innkeeper" - always thoroughly enjoy this - it's great comic relief in the middle of a very serious story line - Alum Armstrong is his name and he's the sleaziest Innkeeper I've ever seen (and thus the best!) - the guy's very talented in his own special way - much better than the guy in the 25th Anniversary concert...

It's good to finally see the lyrics in subtitle - I always thought they were very clever and witty, but I've mis-heard some over the years - maybe it's his thick cockney accent - you know things are getting bad when you need subtitles in English for English! laugh

Well, we may as well exhaust Les Mis before moving on to some other musicals....

Exhaust? Not a chance...especially when we haven't even compared world class performances of one of the show's best known numbers - you be the judge...

Here's Ruthie Henshall from the 10th Anniversary concert:

And here's Lea Salonga from the 25th Anniversary concert (15 years after her role as Eponine in the 10th):

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
pj - thanks for the post of the "Innkeeper" - always thoroughly enjoy this - it's great comic relief in the middle of a very serious story line -...

That is my biggest problem with the movie. The production, editing. They lost all the timing of a good piece of entertainment. It was thrown together. I blame the director, producers, movie company. Yes, the comic relief is an important part of keeping the story alive. To stop it from dragging on in a monotone attitude. Bring them up, bring them down, bring them all around...That is what makes great entertainment. Dynamic range!

This is the same reason I'm not crazy about opera. It lacks dynamic range. The best in opera I personally think is: Andrea Bocelli. Because he does use dynamic range. He sings softly, as well as opera it.

It's good to finally see the lyrics in subtitle - I always thought they were very clever and witty, but I've mis-heard some over the years - maybe it's his thick cockney accent - you know things are getting bad when you need subtitles in English for English! laugh

When I was young, I went on a Scotch ship that was in Houston. Tried talking to those people. It was a bunch of laughing and saying: Talk Slower. The english language is splitting up into different languages. I also confess, I had my southern accent rather strong then.

Exhaust? Not a chance...especially when we haven't even compared world class performances of one of the show's best known numbers - you be the judge...

Here's Ruthie Henshall from the 10th Anniversary concert:

And here's Lea Salonga from the 25th Anniversary concert (15 years after her role as Eponine in the 10th):

I've seen a comment that Fantine is supposed to be ridiculous, with big blonde ridiculous curls. That's is how he saw Ruthie. I can't disagree more strongly.
I have seen a recent interview with Mr. Schonberg. He allowed himself to say that Fantine was a dreamer. I think Mr Schonberg, Mr. Boublil, and Mr. MacIntosh have had it too good for too long. They don't have the fight in them to keep the original inspiration going anymore. Giving into other's stupid thinking. They didn't fight enough on the movie.
I think: "I dreamed a dream" is so true of all of us. It is our view of the world as a child. Then realizing in our adulthood that we're in a pool of destruction. That's all this life is, destruction. Either join the destroyers, or be destroyed. When it's all over the story to reach to a higher existence in a greater love than selfish love. That is where we evolve into what we were meant to all along. A being that lives forever.

I'll see for myself. I'm picking up the book from my apartment office this morning. Have the day off. Getting some work done, and going on a job interview. Took this long for amazon to send it to me...after christmas vacation. Also, friday was a bad day weather wise. Can't belive office people had to go home early. I missed the package. I drove all day long in that miserable frozen blizzard of a mess. I wished I was in an office.

EDIT: I got the book. Geesh it is thick! Mass market publication. Typical paperback, pocketbook size. But it's two inches thick. It's more the size of a brick. Will definitely have to use my reading glasses due to the small print. This makes me want to buy a kindle, or iPad. I'm too cheap though.

Last edited by rnaple; 01/14/13 11:53 AM.

Ron
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Happy birthday to you, Pianojoy!

R
rnaple Offline OP

2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

2000 Post Club Member
R
Happy Birthday, Piano Joy!
For your present. The very best rendition of; "The Prayer" there is on the face of the earth.

Ron
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Yes- Happy Birthday PJ!

Nice present Ron - I can't top that, but I can give her an extra helping:

Make a wish...

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission