2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
BruceD Offline OP
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Subscriber
Don't mistake the sound of calloused fingertips sliding on guitar strings with that of breathing; there is sometimes an uncanny resemblance between the two.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by bennevis
Sharp intakes of breath seem to be endemic among some pianists - you can often hear it in recordings by e.g., Pollini (who comes close to grunting at times....) and Brendel (who also hums occasionally, unfortunately, always out of tune). Pollini's grunting is audible in the concert hall too. I've never been to a Brendel recital to know whether his humming is of Gouldian proportions......
I've heard both Brendel and Pollini live many times and never heard any humming or grunting. Of course, in Carnegie Hall even if one is sitting in the 10th row of the orchestra any extraneous sounds from the pianist might dissipate in the large space. Recordings might catch things that no one can hear in a live concert.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/12/13 11:24 PM.
B
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by bennevis
Sharp intakes of breath seem to be endemic among some pianists - you can often hear it in recordings by e.g., Pollini (who comes close to grunting at times....) and Brendel (who also hums occasionally, unfortunately, always out of tune). Pollini's grunting is audible in the concert hall too. I've never been to a Brendel recital to know whether his humming is of Gouldian proportions......
I've heard both Brendel and Pollini live many times and never heard any humming or grunting. Of course, in Carnegie Hall even if one is sitting in the 10th row of the orchestra any extraneous sounds from the pianist might dissipate in the large space. Recordings might catch things that no one can hear in a live concert.

In London's 2500-seat Royal Festival Hall, which is the only venue Pollini plays in London these days (except when he takes part in all-Nono chamber concerts, which don't attract huge audiences), he allows the organisers to put on 'students' platform seats' on the left of the piano, which are sold to young people for about $10. (Normal seat prices range from $15 to $80). His solo concerts are always sold out, so boosting the capacity to some 3000 with the addition of the students' and choir seats no doubt helps to pay for the transportation of his own personal concert grand (a Hamburg Steinway-Fabbrini).

The front students' seats are as close as 10 feet away from him, so the lucky students who get seats on the keyboard side have a pretty close-up view of his hands and feet - and also get all the sound effects grin. I was never young enough to qualify as a 'student' (even when I was young wink ), but I usually buy the next cheapest tickets, for the choir seats on the raised tier behind the students' seats, where I get an even better view of his hands from my higher position slightly further away. But not far away enough not to hear his periodic sharp intakes of breath and grunting when he is in full cry......

If music be the food of love, play on!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Don't mistake the sound of calloused fingertips sliding on guitar strings with that of breathing; there is sometimes an uncanny resemblance between the two.

Regards,

Thanks. I'll keep this in mind. I thought I knew the difference but perhaps I was mistaken.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission