2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
OP Offline
V
Hi Everyone,

Here is the full transcript of our interview with Juilliard piano professor, Jerome Lowenthal. Mr. Lowenthal speaks about auditioning for Alfred Cortot, his thoughts on Vladimir Horowitz' tone, tone production itself, and more.

As always, thank you all for reading. And Happy New Year smile

http://www.examiner.com/article/interview-with-pianist-jerome-lowenthal-complete

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
You have done many fine interviews but, for me, this was by far the most interesting. The questions and Lowenthal's answers were utterly fascinating.

I've only heard him play live once at Columbia University's Miller Theater maybe 15 years ago. Interestingly enough(in relation to your interview), he played the Hammerklavier at that concert. I know that several of PW's most outstanding professional pianist members have studied with him. He is clearly a sensational teacher and his personal acquaintance with so many of the great pianists of the 20th century makes for fascinating and insightful stories.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/12/13 08:12 PM.
B
B
He's the first person who I've heard explained in simple terms the secret of Horowitz's amazing bel canto tone: his 'very, very extreme voicing' and the way he played some notes in soft music 'extremely, extremely loud'. Mostly, critics just praise his 'golden tone' - something that's also often applied to Shura Cherkassky, who played such music in a similar manner (i.e., a very large contrast between the melody and the accompaniment).

Of course, to do this effectively, the pianist must be able to play the accompaniment really, really softly and evenly as well (like Horowitz did in the middle section of Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude, in which he voiced the inner melodies as well as the main one very prominently).....which is where many of us fall short.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Of course, to do this effectively, the pianist must be able to play the accompaniment really, really softly and evenly as well (like Horowitz did in the middle section of Rachmaninoff's G minor Prelude, in which he voiced the inner melodies as well as the main one very prominently).....which is where many of us fall short.
I think it's actually quite easy to voice the inner melodies in this prelude. Certainly every professional pianist does this quite easily and even amateurs (like Piano Dad's son) do this well. The inner melodies in this piece are played mostly either separately with the right hand or with the thumb of the left hand which makes the voicing pretty basic for those ready to handle the far more difficult fast sections of this piece.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/12/13 09:26 PM.
V
OP Offline
V
I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. It was a great pleasure and honor to speak with Professor Lowenthal. Thank you for reading smile

Our next interview will be with Jeffrey Siegel, who talks about his time with Swiss pianist, Rudolf Ganz (to whom Scarbo is dedicated). He'll be performing in the Bay area on the 19th.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Interesting interview.

"It was July, 1957, and I had just won Second Prize in the Busoni Competition (the First Prize winner was a magical Argentine girl of sixteen)..."

Lowenthal neglected to mention that along with him, Ivan Davis also won Second Prize at the Busoni that year.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
A wonderful coup for your interviewing career, vlh.

I wish that Mr. Lowenthal would grace us with a book of writings.

Piano instruction and performance
V
OP Offline
V
Thanks for Davis reference, wr smile

In other news, I had my first opportunity to see the Horowitz piano (314503) in San Francisco yesterday. The lack of respect is just appalling...(I'm sure many of you have already seen this).

https://twitter.com/elijahho/status/291580070273896448/photo/1

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by vlhorowitz

In other news, I had my first opportunity to see the Horowitz piano (314503) in San Francisco yesterday. The lack of respect is just appalling...(I'm sure many of you have already seen this).

https://twitter.com/elijahho/status/291580070273896448/photo/1

IMO, it's pretty tacky that Steinway is promoting the thing as a sort of weird cross between a cult object and a minor traveling side-show in the first place.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission