2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
H
Originally Posted by pv88
2) No after-pedal sustain can be achieved when striking a key and depressing the sustain pedal, then releasing the key while holding it with pedal, then silently depress key again to hear its sound, by releasing the pedal. This is a damper effect that does not work.

I believe this is solely a software issue and has nothing to do with the action itself. My explanation is that the programmers didn't really think it through and when implementing resonance simulation they did damper resonance and "string resonance" (when key is pressed) separately and didn't take into account that these two phenomena "overlap" in the aforementioned scenario. Should they put some work into the resonance computation algorithm, this is easily fixable, but as there is probably little pressure from the customers, I suspect thay will not do it:-(
Another blatant omision is sympathetic resonance of duplex scale (undamped high keys), which is even easier to implement.
Not to mention the (far more alarming) error in the damper resonance I reported in the "CA95 makes humming noise" (unrelated to the original thread topic). I STRONGLY do hope that this will be fixed in the upcoming firmware update!

Considering that Kawai DPs are very highly regarded (which is well deserved), with excellent action, speaker system, feature set etc. - the acoustic simulation programming department should really put in some serious work to keep up with the rest of the team:-/

Last edited by Hookxs; 01/08/13 04:18 AM.
Originally Posted by dewster
Originally Posted by Temperament
Heavier weights near the axis are very efficient aid for balancing keyblocks without the need of springs.

I don't understand the aversion to springs in AP or DP keys. They are the best answer to anyone who wants a lightweight (portable) realistic DP action, and they could help plenty of APs have quicker return time without the inertial sluggishness and possible injury that counterweights bring.

Well, very true, keyboards engeneering has a ballast of tradition. A marketing issue also, a hammer action should distinguish itself from the bad reputation of artificial synth keyboards.

One more very desirable feature to implement (besides lifting horizontal keys): phyisically changing weighting characterisitics throughout the keyboard, perhaps per zone (there are typically some 3-5 weight zones )...

A
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by pv88
And, are there any other features and specs in the Kawai digitals that don't behave or match up, compared to a Kawai "EX" concert piano?

Price?

Brilliant James.

This is a great discussion, it not only highlites some of the technical challenges of producing a great DP but also the subtleties of marketing and target market perception.

Personally I never take any notice whatsoever of the marketing blurb .... ok I lied about that, it gets me hook line a sinker everytime. But when I stop and think about it, if I wanted a piano with exactly the same geometry as a grand piano i'd have to buy a grand piano. What I want from a DP is something that feels right for me and meets my needs at a price I can afford.

So am I bothered whether marketing dept says it's like a particular GP when it isn't quite? No I'm not, and in anycase the precise geometry of a GP action probably wouldn't feel right in context of a DP until it incorporated other features and became a Hybrid.

So I'm happy if Kawai, Yamaha, Roland etc tell me it's like a GP. I'll take that to mean 'it's modelled on' and modified to fit a DP. I'll know if I like it when I try it.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Similarly, I do not know the pivot length of the Avant Grand action.

Do all the keys have the same pivot length? On an acoustic grand they don't. The long bass strings require a deeper strike point, so the overall key length increases from treble to bass. Concert grands have the greatest variation, because they have the longest strings. The long keys have more mass, and move slower, but then again, who does fast trills in the deep bass.... ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
Similarly, I do not know the pivot length of the Avant Grand action.

Do all the keys have the same pivot length? On an acoustic grand they don't. The long bass strings require a deeper strike point, so the overall key length increases from treble to bass. Concert grands have the greatest variation, because they have the longest strings. The long keys have more mass, and move slower, but then again, who does fast trills in the deep bass.... ;-)

Umm, no....

Have you ever actually seen an acoustic action? If you had, you'd know that the keys are all the same length and that the harp is shaped in such a way as to position the correct strike point for the different string lengths. The hammers are heaver and larger in the bass - that's why the action is heavier there. Not because of varying key length. Beats me how people come up with this stuff.

[Linked Image]

U
U
In fact there exist grand pianos with longer keys in the bass region. See here
[Linked Image]
or here [Linked Image]

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I wonder with that picture, if you leaned a keyboard up and against the back of that setup so the hammers hit the keys, if that would make a cheapo hybrid piano grin

U
U
Hammers never hit keys. But if you think, if it is possible to use a piano action to build a hybrid piano? Of course!. See

and

Pianos and Service - www.martinwidmannklaviere.de
Piano parts and Accessories - www.pianosupply.de
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Upright
In fact there exist grand pianos with longer keys in the bass region.

That is not a typical piano design though. 99.9% of pianos use same length keys.

K
K
Originally Posted by ando

That is not a typical piano design though. 99.9% of pianos use same length keys.

well, I've seen concert grand August Forster with this design and also C.Bechstein concert grand on their promotional video. So it looks like the design of difference in key lengths is not that un-typical at the end... See AF at least here: http://www.pianos.cz/sites/PIANOS.cz/repository/Image/galerie/images/img1532-large.jpg

November 2011: piano entered into my life.
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by KarelG

well, I've seen concert grand August Forster with this design and also C.Bechstein concert grand on their promotional video. So it looks like the design of difference in key lengths is not that un-typical at the end... See AF at least here: http://www.pianos.cz/sites/PIANOS.cz/repository/Image/galerie/images/img1532-large.jpg

They're just part of the 0.1% - and they are concert grands. Most pianos don't do this. Can I inspect one Ferrari and make the conclusion that all cars have a 600hp V12 engine? The statement I was responding to was:

"Do all the keys have the same pivot length? On an acoustic grand they don't. The long bass strings require a deeper strike point, so the overall key length increases from treble to bass."

It is stated as a rule for all pianos. But this is not true. It's only true for a small number of pianos.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Whether they're all the same length or whether some are slightly longer ... does it really matter? At all?

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Whether they're all the same length or whether some are slightly longer ... does it really matter? At all?

Not really!

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I guess once the keys reach a certain length, perhaps further increases wouldn't be very noticable, or at least, not very important. And it's a simple matter of adding mass if we want to duplicate the feel as closely as possible of those huge bass keys & large hammers. Still interesting to know that the key length does vary on some pianos though.

Greg.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I recall when I asked about key length on the tuner's forum there was some discussion that when keys get long they begin to have too much flexibility, which can make them hard to play. It was a bit of a contentious issue, though, iirc. I think there's probably an optimal length.

Last edited by gvfarns; 01/11/13 08:55 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I recall when I asked about key length on the tuner's forum there was some discussion that when keys get long they begin to have too much flexibility, which can make them hard to play. It was a bit of a contentious issue, though, iirc. I think there's probably an optimal length.
It's another one of those moving targets because A) its subjective and B) in a complete key strike, it's one of dozens of critical measurements and ratios.

Like string length, there are limits due to material characteristics, but if you change the material, the result becomes foreign and no longer subjectively pleasing.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
"when keys get long they begin to have too much flexibility, which can make them hard to play."

I can`t think of any DP where there`s a remote possiblilty o` that happening . . !

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
It is even very possible, that the given very long key length on a concert grands are not just for the sake of the playability at all, but as a compromise between playability and the need of having able to place the hammer where it can hit the string in an optimal position.

A given ratio of the two parts before and behind of the hammer point is regarded as optimal for sound quality and intensity.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
[Umm, no....

Have you ever actually seen an acoustic action? If you had, you'd know that the keys are all the same length

I've seen a few, and measured my Knabe. It's 13 1/4" for key #1 (A0) and tapers down to 11 3/8" for key #88 (C8).

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JohnSprung
[Umm, no....

Have you ever actually seen an acoustic action? If you had, you'd know that the keys are all the same length

I've seen a few, and measured my Knabe. It's 13 1/4" for key #1 (A0) and tapers down to 11 3/8" for key #88 (C8).

It's still in the extreme minority. Most are same length. The weighting of the keys and the heavier hammers account for the heavier response in bass notes. You must have inspected an unusual sequence of actions to have not seen that the vast majority that have the same key length. Or you've mostly seen very large concert grands.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission