2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2013155 01/12/13 01:30 AM
F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I've been in a long search for a new board for my jazz studies starting next year and have narrowed it down yet again to these 2. I cant decide between them and REALLY need some help. I was thinking of a Roland, fp7f, but didnt like the AP sounds at all and that is what I really wanted. I only really know and have had experience with Yamaha and Roland and one korg.

What are your oppinions on these 2 boards? I cant really afford to go higher at the moment.

Many thanks for any help you can give

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
The MP6 is a very good all-rounder, but for jazz I'd probably go for the CP50. Dave Ferris who posts here frequently swears by the CP5, and he's a great jazz player. I could never quite get to grips with the MP6 for jazz playing, much preferring to use the FP-7F or its older sibling the FP-4 when I need a lightweight board for gigging. I do realize, though, that the Roland SN sounds are not everyone's cup of tea.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
For Jazz ...CP-50 .... but for only a bit more ...the RD-700NX studio grand beckons ...or a Nord Piano 2

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, my vote would go to the CP50 for jazz playing. It might not be the most complex sound for AP, but it works... cool

You might want to check out the Yamaha CP33 if you can find one around. Many people still prefer that sample to newer CF Grand sample of the CP5/50. It's the same GH action as the CP50 and even cheaper. Personally I still prefer the newer CP50 over the CP33.

I like the immediacy of the Yamaha sound to action connection much more then the Kawai. The MP6 always felt like it was playing catch up with itself with regard to the sound and the way the action interacts.

It's a taste thing and certainly not all inclusive, but I think you'll generally find more jazz oriented pianists leaning towards Yamahas.

Yes, I had the CP5 for almost 2 years and liked it more then any electronic keyboard I'd ever owned in 44 years of buying this stuff. At 59 though, the schlep became too much for many of the smaller, cramped places I was playing, so I went with the more compact Nord Piano 2...which is excellent for what it is.

We're all hoping that Yamaha previews a new, lighter CP5 type DP at NAMM in less then 2 weeks away. It might be worth it to hold out (if you can) and see if anything new is in the works. However, it might be April/ May or even later till its available in New Zealand.

Last edited by Dave Ferris; 01/12/13 03:47 AM. Reason: added thought
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Do the CP5 and CP50 share the same piano/EP sounds?

I thought there were some differences in the tone generator/effects block etc.?

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Do the CP5 and CP50 share the same piano/EP sounds?

I thought there were some differences in the tone generator/effects block etc.?

James
x

Yeah the CFIIIs is basically the same but the CP50 has no s6 and less effects then the CP5

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for all the replies. I really liked the look of the MP6 and also the fact that it has a metronome, internal power supply and the ability to use layers and edit a really nice piano sound. What are everyone's reasons for choosing the CP50 for Jazz?

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
The sound, I believe.

F
Franga Offline OP
OP Offline
F
On the CP50, are you able to layer say 2 piano sounds but EQ them differently to achieve a "meatier" tone? and does it support mp3 or wav. playback? i cant seem to find info anywhere thanks smile

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Franga
On the CP50, are you able to layer say 2 piano sounds but EQ them differently to achieve a "meatier" tone? and does it support mp3 or wav. playback? i cant seem to find info anywhere thanks smile

You can do this on a CP5 but I don't know about the 50 ....you had better check the manual.

The manual is here http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/synth/cp5cp50_en_om_d0.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission