2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hi Becca,

I am waiting till my first lesson with a new tea cher next tuesday. Didnt get on with my last one, she was too 'nice' and didnt know how to properly explain anything.... i was paying money for teaching us both lol....

My new teacher is a friends dad, similar situation with own studio with a grand yamaha plus an upright of some sort.... been after lessons for a couple of years but he always has been fully booked... now i can get half hour a week, not cheap though so i will have to quit smoking haha...

Because i can only get half hour a week, i know it will go really fast... but it will be intense. Concentration for half hour and using it effectively will be fine i think.... i have written down my goals(grades plus teaching when i cant be bothered with my normal job anymore, fantacy impromptu ect),
things i have worked on , areas i need help on.... (posture, tension, sight reading, pracice structure, playing quiet, keystroke...) and i figure after all that i will leave it up to him to figure out the rest....

Good luck with it all...

Big hugs :-)

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
That's great! Don't worry too much about what to bring. I'm sure the teacher just wants to get a sense of where you are now. Total beginners are easy, since they're starting from scratch. When I teach students who aren't beginners, it's a little more work to figure out what they already know, good or bad.

Also feel free to ask about the teacher's approach. After you've played, you can have her tell you what she's observed and lay out a plan of action. If it sounds good to you, go for it! Good luck!

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks everyone! The first two lessons will both be checking each other out and seeing my skill level etc.. I'm not too worried about it taking up more then one lesson. I'm also only booked for one month right now. After that we will reevaluate and see if I'm staying or going. smile I also will not be surprised if we go over the time limit tomorrow.

Just to avoid further confusion, I did speak with her at length on the phone. We went over my history with piano, piano teachers, where I'm at, what I'm doing, what I know I need help with, what I'm looking for, general goals, my issues with body placement and movements, her past teaching, what and who she teaches, where she teaches and the need for flexibility on both our parts. I also emphasized on the phone that I want to acquire the skills to play properly and am willing to do the hard work needed.

Tonight my hubby and I are going to take a drive and find her house so I'm not in panic mode tomorrow trying to figure out exactly where it is (it's not far from here but I get panicky quickly when finding new places. lol)

24 more hours! Ugh. LOL I will keep everything everyone has said in mind and watch for flags (really hoping there won't be an issue.) I'm looking forward to someone having an actual plan of action. I think a big part of my issue is I feel really lost. What to move forward on, what to hold back, what should I jump to or what skills need extra help. I have no idea and can only plod along in the method books hoping I'm making ground. I think I'm at the point where a book just doesn't cut it right now.

Paul: You getting ansy yet? LOL Good luck to you too! Let us know how it goes next week! smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
J
J
Hello Becca,

I am in Calgary and having my first class on Saturday! smile Looking forward to it and I shamefully copied some of your ideas on things to ask my teacher. I am also going to see him for 30 Min, but in my case, it will be every weeks... So no room for slacking off... :-)

I wish you all the best and please let us know how it went.

Cheers!

I am also using Alfred's method.

Leaning on: Privia PX-150
Method: Alfred and Piano Handbook by Carl Humphries
Playing since: Jan 2013 ( But had a few years playing as a kid. )
@becca

I'm pretty excited! I went to another tutor last weekend, but the piano was his second instrument as he has a thirty year violin career.... his piano was awful, an ebay special and although he was intense and could help for the next few years... it was only after the session i decided to have another attempt at getting with nic cope.... i have shared many a drinking session with his son so i used the friendship card and happily it worked out this time!

This is another step on our adventures my dear, hopefully within the month we will both be happily 'under the wing' of worthwhile teachers....

Good luck for tomorrow!! :-)

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Becca, for heaven's sake, we're waiting (scattered all around the globe, no less) to hear about those 30 minutes yesterday!

N
N
How'd it go, how'd it go??
(Fingers crossed it went great)

Venables & Son Custom 133 Upright Acoustic Piano
Yamaha DGX-640 Digital Piano
Started learning: October 2011
Started lessons: January 2012
YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/neildradford
Typical.. . We get all excited and the lady makes us wait..

BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Sorry guys! I also started at a new job (actually my old job) yesterday hence why you didn't hear from me! I worked from 8am to 12 pm!

It went really well.. I played a few things for her. We talked about how to figure out how to give myself more room (I squish myself too close.) We discussed my huge amount of books I'm using. She will get me sorted out as we go on those. She checked out my composition and made me play it. LOL. So now I have to learn my own tune! I showed her my goals so that she can help form a plan for me. We still have to go through a lot of my skills to see where I'm at. Um... She's going to teach me a new song that we are going to duet on so I can begin to learn skills to be able to play with others. I have TONS of homework! smile

I really liked her. I wasn't very nervous playing for after the first song. She's going to help me get a repetoire because I have none! She's also going to help me get moving more fast (I play slow all the time) and get me to play louder (I play very softly so try to get pp out of piano when you already play at that level for starters! LOL)

I was there for almost 45 minutes and because I'm working again I'm going to full time! Four times a month. I'm very happy so far. smile

Oddly her grand (it's a baby grand Yamaha) felt very squishy to play. My Roland keys go down farther than on her grand also. Other than that I didn't notice a difference between the two. So at least I know I shouldn't have many problems switching between the two.

So sorry for making you guys wait! I just got off work and have a few! smile

What makes keys feel like they squish down btw?

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Way to go!
Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun!

Learner
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
BeccaBb, what wonderful news!

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Sounds promising!

:-) onwards and upwards.

Sounds promising!

:-) onwards and upwards.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Becca,

Glad it went well.

What makes keys feel like they squish down btw?

Thats the squishing of the mouse's tail under the key...its how he knows it is time for him to strike the string with his hammer. grin

[Linked Image]

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks guys!

Jim, that poor mouse! I imagine it would squeak really bad every time we hit a key too! LOL

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I was there for almost 45 minutes and because I'm working again I'm going to full time! Four times a month. I'm very happy so far.

I'm so glad you got on well with her Becca. Sounds like she will teach you to play piano and not just play songs. yippie Not to say that's all you're doing now.

When I first started with my teacher she was much too nice to me. After we discussed my goals, she willingly tells me when I have any issues hindering my progress. Technique, tempo, dynamics etc, and is so gratious about it.

Ragdoll

At first, she only flew when she thought no one was watching.

[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by JimF
Thats the squishing of the mouse's tail under the key...its how he knows it is time for him to strike the string with his hammer. grin

String? I thought it was different sized mice squeaking!

Congratulations, Becca. Great news.

Richard
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
Sounds like a fine start, Becca. It's great that you're going to try this weekly, and great that your head is spinning with new ideas and ways to practice.

What you call squishiness on a Yamaha grand versus your digital piano may be something "aftertouch." It's an adjustable component of the hammer's let-off point on a good piano that gives you as a player more control, yet could feel spongy (or as you say, squishy) until you get used to it. It's a good thing.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Is a Yamaha grand an acoustic piano?

BeccaBb Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
LOL yes her Yamaha baby grand is an acoustic. smile

Thanks everyone. My head is spinning is probably the best description of it. smile Practice is going well so far. Working on two new songs, polishing three other ones, some theory and sightreading work, plus working on my composition!

I'm a busy at the keys!

Becca
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission