2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 321 of 370 1 2 319 320 321 322 323 369 370
D
D
Just in case you miss it a little justification for my previous comments on my last post.

To finish off on Rossy's anti-jazz buffoonery all crackpot ideas deserve and demand ridicule and its all good. Its just something that I have no interest in.

smile

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
Wow, you all were busy little posters this weekend! Sorry I missed it.

Rossy, did you see that you missed DCD in October? They were in London and Ireland. You could have stopped in one of Richard's pubs and drank amaretto.

Richard, glad you liked the Kennedy Center stuff. And great posts from you and Griffin.

PJ, Kool and the Gang? For you? I'm worried!

Becca, thanks for the Bowie - I hadn't heard it yet. I think he is going into easy listening mode, or having some sort of life crisis. The video was creepy!

Rupak, I love Yuja Wang. Her technique is deadly, and I love her guts. Last year she wore a tiny orange 80's dress to play Rachmaninov's 3rd at the Hollywood Bowl and caused a huge ruckus in certain circles. I thought it was appropriate, since it was August and in LA.
Actually, her performance Stravinsky's Petrushka was one of the things that made me want to take up lessons.

TJ, liked the Yo-yo and Alison.

A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
I was on a Tom Waits kick this week. While looking for one thing on YouTube, I found something I wasn't looking for, and I love it.

If you watch his own video, he really does move like Cookie Monster.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I haven't posted any Yasmin Levy all year!

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
I was disappointed to find my Monteverdi post from Sunday has been removed from YouTube for copyright reasons. For those catching up midweek here's a shorter, but extant, version of the opening.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AimeeO

TJ, liked the Yo-yo and Alison.

Yes - but what's not to like, huh?

The key question is will Griffin not only like it but profit from it? I can sense a slight wavering of his resolve with regard to his desert island decision... smile

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm here lurking folks wink I'd rather listen to AimeeO's Tom Waites/Cookie Monster mashup, than David Bowie's new single, (what a load of sh*te) @ 66yrs, you'd av thought he'd pulled out all the stops and produced something decent!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
AimeeO, I love young Miss Wang's piano abilities- so jealous!
I remember that dress....had no problem with her wearing it, I only recall I didn't care for the actual style- it looked tacky to me. I'd have picked something as sexy, but with class.
Cookie Monster let me down big time! (ha).

Mr. you-know-who-you-are, I have never heard of Yasmin Levy; should I have? ( you know I like that name, however!)

Becca- thanks for the piano guys/Lindsey video- great music and very creative! I think violin may be my most favorite instrument, next to piano.

And, a cheery wave to everyone else!

And, now an old, old song for no particular reason a'tall other than I came across it on You Tube :

Last edited by piano joy; 01/09/13 10:36 PM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member

Greetings everyone. Sorry I haven't had any time since returning to work. It's rough catching up after a long vacation. However, you'll hear more from me this weekend when I'll have more time to listen to all of these postings.

TJ, I definitely loved the Alison Kraus and Yo-Yo Ma. Simple Gifts is also a favorite of mine. I'll have further things to say about it when the work week ends. I must be off to bed. Another early morning start for me.

Good night!

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wayne33yrs
I'm here lurking folks wink I'd rather listen to AimeeO's Tom Waites/Cookie Monster mashup, than David Bowie's new single, (what a load of sh*te) @ 66yrs, you'd av thought he'd pulled out all the stops and produced something decent!

My sentiments exactly wayne, radio stations here are taking the attitude that because of who he is and what he has done in the past ,this must be a good single... even going as far as saying in some cases that it needs a few listens..... I gave it four listens and it still isnt speaking to me like Bowie often has.

It doesnt matter who you are or what you have done, a single has to stand on its own merit and not on past glories?

Its dire, I would nearly rather listen to jazz, but not quite.
I would rather listen to the dog whinging because I am not sharing my bacon sarnie.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by griffin2417

TJ, I definitely loved the Alison Kraus and Yo-Yo Ma. Simple Gifts is also a favorite of mine. I'll have further things to say about it when the work week ends.

"Work week? What's a work week...?" said the retired gentleman of leisure, as he putted for a birdie on the 18th green... laugh

Or, as the Countess Dowager (Maggie Smith), who had never logged a work week in her priviledged life, said on an early episode of "Downton Abbey" when someone mentioned relaxing on the weekend: "Weekend? What's a weekend?"

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

D
D
Just spent a few delightful hours in a pub which had the new Bowie playing i I have a feeling it might grow on me. Also playing was Tom Waits, Nick Cave Kylie Minogue, Lenard Cohen and Nick Drake which sparked off an interesting and moving conversation as the person I was with had either known him or met him.

As Charlie Parker once said "If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn "

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by piano joy
I have never heard of Yasmin Levy; should I have?
Yasmin Levy was the second posting in this thread from Mr. Who-am-I?-What's-my-name?-Where-do-I-come-from?-I'm-not-having-an-identity-crisis!

Richard
A

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A
PJ, I didn't like the orange dress personally, but I thought it was very LA 80's-ish. Sometimes she looks very metal when playing, and her hair is flying like a headbanger's, so it kind of worked for me(but you're right, it's not a pretty dress). Props to her for bucking the system! I'm sure she's tired of being in gowns all the time.
I do remember what I wore at her age, and sometimes I made atrocious choices.

TJ, do you think your plan to win over Griffin is working?

I miss the old Bowie.
Here's the Man Who Sold Himself in better days.

Last edited by AimeeO; 01/11/13 06:27 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Four listens Rossy, you're a stronger man than I wink Hey'up folks, gonna give your YT posts a listen now, cheer's guys, looking forward to Yasmin Levy, might do that one first on YT, love n peace to all, bk soon smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not that keen on Richards Yasmin Levy, not sure if it was a story about being lost, (glad I'm found), Loved Densi's vid, smile Gonna give AimeeO's Bowies vid a listen now smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not bad for Bowie, cheers AimeeO, his original stuff was certainly the better smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I got you PJ smile

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn

TJ, I definitely loved the Alison Kraus and Yo-Yo Ma. Simple Gifts is also a favorite of mine. I'll have further things to say about it when the work week ends.

"Work week? What's a work week...?" said the retired gentleman of leisure, as he putted for a birdie on the 18th green... laugh

Or, as the Countess Dowager (Maggie Smith), who had never logged a work week in her priviledged life, said on an early episode of "Downton Abbey" when someone mentioned relaxing on the weekend: "Weekend? What's a weekend?"

"Not so fast TJ," said the short timer who has just announced his retirement to start late this spring of 2013!! yippie It's now official. Griffin will soon be a retiree!! No golfing for me, however. Bicycling is what I have in mind!

Last edited by griffin2417; 01/11/13 09:47 PM.

Carl

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

"Not so fast TJ," said the short timer who has just announced his retirement to start late this spring of 2013!!!

It's now official. Griffin will soon be a retired gentleman of leisure as well! Now golfing for me, however. Bicycling is what I have in mind! yippie

Congrats Grif! thumb

RGOL status is cool...you've earned it and deserve it!

And biking is good - my wife and I do it every Sunday afternoon on old converted rail trails...when it's warm enough...she's faster than me with more endurance, which is why I prefer to play golf smile

Page 321 of 370 1 2 319 320 321 322 323 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission