2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (bcalvanese, BillS728, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, danno858, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
I play with headphones when I am working on technique, ie scales, broken chords, arps, and etudes. I also use headphones when I am working on something new, playing the same couple of measures over and over. When something is reaching a presentable stage, I play it out loud. I also play the "easy listening" stuff that I can sight read in the evening, which generally actually sounds like music. My husband had said I should play everything out loud, until he had to listen to scales, etc. Then he thought perhaps the headphones would be better! So now I try to put myself in his shoes, and only play "music" when he is listening. I find the headphones really help me concentrate on the repetitions without being self conscious. For me it is the best of both worlds.

That's what I do too. The only time my hubby made an even remotely negative comment about my playing was when I started working on scales. He came into the room after a while and said. "um, do you think you could play some MUSIC now?"..... From that point on, I started using the headphones for the potentially irritating stuff. Now he only hears me when I've got things decently under control smile

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
One that made me laugh was "It would be all right with me if you pass that one off as soon as possible."

Learner
S
S
Hello to you.... I was looking into the beginners forum as I wanted to see what questions are asked. Fun reading your posts as so many love piano the way I do. Piano at my age of 74 years old I play everyday with few exceptions. The church and piano playing is my life now. The residents clap when I play for them very often. I feel appreciated and loved for the music I play for them. Yes I am a happy disabled elder because of piano still in my life. To make people who are disabled happy as this is a facility for the disabled people keeps me feeling needed and productive even at my age. Piano playing is life changing for some of us. Sandra M

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sandra M
The residents clap when I play for them very often. I feel appreciated and loved for the music I play for them.

Piano playing is life changing for some of us. Sandra M

And I hope that your piano playing is not only beneficial for you personally, but life changing for those that hear you play.

Two thumbs up from over here! thumb thumb

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
Yes, it has absolutely changed my life. Like most of you, it's a daily component. The only problem is I seem to study and practice music more than the dissertation I should be writing... smile

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Because I've been mostly playing since I was 10 and am 70 now, I honestly don't know if it changed my life

I've never really known a life without it except for a few years in the Navy on board a ship. There were no digital pianos in those days.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
T
T
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Because I've been mostly playing since I was 10 and am 70 now, I honestly don't know if it changed my life

I've never really known a life without it except for a few years in the Navy on board a ship. There were no digital pianos in those days.

Wow! You've been playing the piano for 60 years. You must be able to play any music you set your eyes on. I envy you, as I am now 62 with only 11 months of lessons, I don't imagine ever reaching a level of greatness that could be reached in 60 years of playing the piano....what a blessing! Do you still enjoy it?

Virginia

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
J.Wooden
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Like I told my Granddaughters who just started taking lessons, Sometimes I still get shivvers up and down my back and there are pieces that literally bring tears of emotion to my eyes. the tears are not even always because of my pathetic playing. smile

I still cannot in any way just play anything I want to right away. Even if it's a piece I can play technically right away, it takes lots of time to get it so it sounds and feels the way I want it to.

Also I play a lot from Fake books which I can usually play at least in some fashion right away. Even those take lots of time to make sound the way I want them too.

I don't think you ever get to the point where you can play anything you want and be satisfied with it immediately. I think I'm glad of that. It seems like it might get boring. I am in no danger of becoming bored believe me.

In answer to your question, yes, I love it now as much or more than I always have.

It's very very cool to be able to make music at ANY level.

I love it!

Last edited by Roger Ransom; 01/13/13 06:40 PM.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
V
V
It made me re-discover a love of music I've always had but had never really explored.[Linked Image][Linked Image]

I
Ina Offline
I
Yes. smile

Less computer time- it was a sort of addiction. .

It's a serotonin releaser: no need for an antidepressive smile

It helsp reduce the tension from work.

It's a joy to play the songs I've never dreamt of. It's so nice to discover so much different music.

And it showed me the way to this nice forum. smile

W
W
Ina: you're right about anti-depressant! I did read in an article that playing piano alleviates depression!

Piano engages my mind enough that it dispels negativity and turns loneliness into soulful solitude.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission