2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,901 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 1RC
Oh I remembered a website I read a long time ago that seemed to be pretty comprehensive, looks like it's still here: https://www.webdepot.umontreal.ca/Usagers/belkina/MonDepotPublic/bk/index.html

Thanks, thats a great tip!

And many thanks to Alain Belkin who wrote this and made this free for public!

Chris

Playing since May 02 2009
mpmusic Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by printer1

Now, one last ESSENTIAL detail that hasn't been mentioned - at least I didn't see it - in the other posts in this thread. My opinion: It's essential for a composer to have their music played by performers other than themselves. The reason for this: You'll quickly see what you've composed that can be played easily, what can be played only with difficulty, and what can't be played at all. You'll hear what you really like in what you've composed and what you're not so crazy about. You'll also hear all the places in the composition where had you done it differently you might have liked it more! You'll learn where and how to notate dynamics and articulations and other details that performers rely on when they're learning music they haven't previously played. Most of all, you'll learn how much easier it is to compose when you can get the feedback that almost any performer will give you.

I never thought about that! It makes all sense!
Unfortunately do not know of many people who play the piano. But I know at least one person who may be able to play my compositions smile

Why not go to the music department and see if they have a composition class that you can take or audit?

Currently I haven't much time to have extra classes, but I will try to get information about that. It would be a great experience indeed. And this would help to solve the problem of knowing few people who plays the piano.

You might also get a copy of Rilke's Letters To A Young Poet (a very short and inexpensive book and something that's surely in your uni library) in which he tells a young poet who comes to him for advice that he (the young poet already has all the answers inside of his head!

Looks interesting, I will try to find it smile

Hope this helps! Listen, compose, and hang out w/other musicians as you can and your abilities will grow!

It was a big help for sure, thank you very much for all those tips and suggestions!

http://www.miguelmotapinto.com/
http://youtube.com/user/miguelmotapinto

"Music is the key to understand the universe..."
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission