2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I now have played with Vintage D more and I manage to find good audio levels combining Vintage D audio levels and headphone volume levels, that's good for playability. More tougher to figure out how to get highest levels in end recording, it does have something to do also with MIDI levels and velocity levels also...

As far as key touch goes, I find it that there's just impossible to find 1 general setting. With different Vintage D settings and presets, different key touch is applied (all in medium levels, but range from 0 to +7).

One glitch to report - after playing a while, when pressing pedal and keys, there's some cracking/clicking noise. It shows after about of 10-20 minutes of playing... But overall, I'm getting more and more impressed by sound. I think it easly trumps recordings I did @ recording studio, and will most likely use just Vintage D samples for my recordings (with different settings,presets).

E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Does really nobody have experienced that glitch with pedal and cracking noise? The strange thing really is that it begins only after few minutes of playing, so I'm guessing it could be something to do with memory catch or ? Perhaps there's some way in the settings to change that? thanks a lot.

S
S
EOS3, my computer is older and I will experience it after a few hours sometimes if I have the repedal on - if I don't turn that on i am fine. I just turn on the rest of the articulations.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
P
P
EO3, your problem is caused by your computer, not Vintage D.
If I may ask, what hardware/OS/sound card do you have? And what buffer size do you use?
Have you optimised your computer for use with VST (as described e.g. here)?

I knew someone with a similar problem (cracking appearing after some time of playing). He used Asio4All. In his case disabling all unused inputs a outputs in "WDM device list" (in Asio4all configuration, I guess) solved the problem.

Kawai CA65 :: Galaxy: Vintage D, Vienna Grand, Giant :: Pianoteq 5 :: Kontakt 5 :: Reaper :: True Keys pianos
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by PtJaa
EO3, your problem is caused by your computer, not Vintage D.
If I may ask, what hardware/OS/sound card do you have? And what buffer size do you use?
Have you optimised your computer for use with VST (as described e.g. here)?

Windows 7 (64 bit), Intel Core i3-2350M CPU 2,30 GHZ, RAM: 4GB Soundcard: Focusrite Scarlett 8i6USB Buffer size - 5ms.

Haven't optimised anything.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I sometimes get that click etc. with sustain pedal. I usually attribute this for not taking enough time between disabling programs on PC and give time for computer to relax. This is not a scientific study smile

Sometimes I do everything correct but it still does that, annoying but manageable.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
S
S
EO3, did you make sure your power saving setting is on High performance. Specifically look at the setting for processor power mgmt/Minimum processor state under the advanced settings. it should be at 100% for plugged in. If it isn't your cpu speed will jump around.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
OK, now I set it up on High performance. Will check in later to report if there's improvement.

update: nop, performance settings doesn't improve. But I noticed that probably when latency is set higher, these "cracks" are somehow lower, not so noticable. But setting higher latency means it's not playable.

Last edited by EO3; 02/04/13 02:01 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
EO3: I looked at the user manual for the Focusrite 8i6USB. It shows two ASIO settings. One is ASIO Buffer Size and the other is Streaming Buffer Size.

The ASIO Buffer Size choices are 2, 3, 4, 6, or 8 ms.
The Streaming Buffer Size choices are 1, 2, 3, 8, 12, 16, 24, or 32 ms.

I'll make a guess: I think the first is the input latency and the second is output latency.

If that's correct ... I have a Presonus box, and I have it set for 3 ms input latency and 18 ms output latency. (Any lower and it crackles.) So, 21 ms total latency, and it's quite playable.

You mentioned that you set yours at 5 ms. Which setting?
ASIO Buffer Size or Streaming Buffer Size.

Try setting your Streaming Buffer Size higher, say 16 ms.

P
P
EO3, try optimising your computer as described in the link I posted above.
Also, make sure your WI-FI is turned off before starting working with VSTs.
Even though you don't use Asio4All, disabling unused inputs/outputs or lowering the sample rate etc. could help too.

Edit: I didn't see MacMacMac's post. Seems he has much better advice.

Last edited by PtJaa; 02/04/13 03:01 PM.
EO3: I looked up the CPU specs.

Your Core i3-2350M, 2.30GHz gets an average CPU Mark score of 2674.
My Core2 Duo T5300, 1.73GHz gets an average CPU Mark score of 979.

So yours is MUCH faster.
You should have no trouble using ASIO Buffer Size 3 ms, and Streaming Buffer Size 16 ms.
And you might be able to drop the Streaming Buffer Size even lower.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EO3
Does really nobody have experienced that glitch with pedal and cracking noise? The strange thing really is that it begins only after few minutes of playing, so I'm guessing it could be something to do with memory catch or ? Perhaps there's some way in the settings to change that? thanks a lot.

Have you updated the Vintage D to the latest version? There was a fix for the pedal glitch problems that were in the initial version.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
I think I updated it. but is there a way to be sure (or update again?)...

I'll try that optimisation stuff.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by EO3

The fixed version is v1.2. Click on the Galaxy Vintage D name in the lower left corner to bring up the "About" screen. The version number is in the lower right corner of that screen. Also the Main screen should have PADS in the lower right corner.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Originally Posted by Macy
Originally Posted by EO3

The fixed version is v1.2. Click on the Galaxy Vintage D name in the lower left corner to bring up the "About" screen. The version number is in the lower right corner of that screen. Also the Main screen should have PADS in the lower right corner.

No version number in "About" section (just info about instrument), but in other section there's written: library 1.0 (should it be 1.2?)

OK, now it seems I have updated - in about section it shows 1.2, but in the other section library is still 1.0 (i guess, that's how it should be , right?)

Last edited by EO3; 02/06/13 09:21 AM.
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
pedal question - is there a point of adding a sustain pedal to Vintage D set up (there are obviously damper pedal function, as well as una corda with repedal,halfpedal functions, but is there sustain thingy also?). Not that it's a necessity, just curios.

T
T
Do you mean a sostenuto (middle) pedal? Sustain is the same as damper. Sostenuto isn't used very often, you'll probably know if you need it or not.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
E
EO3 Offline OP
OP Offline
E
yup, I meant sostenuto - middle pedal. Actually, I'm not really sure what exactly it can do, it somehow sustains notes like damper pedal but in a different way?

T
T
It only sustains the notes for which the keys are still depressed when you depress the pedal. It can be used for long sustained bass notes, etc. Kind of like a having third hand if you know what I mean.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
H
H
If you press and hold down keys, then press the sostenuto pedal (keep holding it down), then lift your fingers of those keys, they are being sustained. Any keys played afterwards are not sustained.
If you had used the damper pedal instead, all keys being played while the pedal is down are sustained until the pedal is lifted.

So, for example, you could sustain a few notes and then play staccato with both hands afterwards without loosing your first sustained notes.

Pianist & Composer.
Steingraeber & Söhne C-212 CF, Kawai Novus NV10
VI Labs Ravenscroft, True Keys: Pianos; Garritan CFX Concert Grand, Synthogy Ivory II
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKKuqH6G1C9TuJosOx1dXaQ
https://holgerstiefpiano.bandcamp.com/
https://www.facebook.com/holgerstiefpiano
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission