2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 9 invisible), 2,030 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1993039 12/01/12 02:02 AM
V
Vis Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi there

I just recently got a digital piano and am not really sure where to start. I have played guitar for years and taken music classes so I know quite a lot about theory and am mostly looking for somewhere to learn about the physical aspects of playing the piano.

Thanks.

B

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Vis
and am mostly looking for somewhere to learn about the physical aspects of playing the piano.

you want to learn about the proper approach to learning to play piano or you want to learn about the literal physical aspect(s) of playing piano? The two answers are quite different.

Regardless, I recommend visiting this following site and watching the site owner's youtube videos to secure a foundational understanding of piano technique:

http://www.piano-ology.com/Technique/TheDevelopmentProcess.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianoologist?feature=watch

V
Vis Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Hi Bob thanks for the link these videos are great. Yeah I wasn't very clear there sorry. What I am looking for is some kind of starting point, but one that doesn't include a lot of theory.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Perhaps this attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL253192EED47525A8&feature=plcp

(you might have to crank the volume up!)

Like you, I had some experience on guitar, and this video series really helped me when beginning on the piano.

If you're looking for theory, Andrew has also covered a lot of that:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB585CE43B02669C3&feature=plcp

good luck!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
B

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Vis
Hi Bob thanks for the link these videos are great. Yeah I wasn't very clear there sorry. What I am looking for is some kind of starting point, but one that doesn't include a lot of theory.

A little theory probably wouldn't hurt if it's in direct application to the piano regardless of your current knowledge. I'd recommend an all-in-one piano method book such as Alfred's Adult All-in-One Piano Method if you don't have a teacher to help guide you along (even if you do, you'll likely work through something similar, anyways).

V
Vis Offline OP
OP Offline
V
I have been going through these videos they have been very helpful.

I also bought the recommended Alfred book and am really loving it. It has an extremely smooth difficulty curve as you progress. Thank you very much for that recommendation.

A
A
Alfred also has a "Self Teaching Adult Piano Course" which is very similar to the "All-in-One" book. I especially like the version that has a DVD. It features Alfred author Gayle Kowalchyk as the piano teacher. She explains and demonstrates the songs and exercises so the student can both see and hear how to play them correctly. The Adult All-in-One book features extra songs, theory, and finger exercises not represented on the DVD, but I would still recommend the DVD as the next best thing to having a teacher next to you. We have a lot of other ideas and helps for self-taught students and we love hearing from them at keyboard@alfred.com or at (818) 892-2452 in our Customer Service Dept. The world needs more pianists! Keep up the good work!

S
Online Content
S
Hi Alfred Piano Team, nice to have you here.

Adult beginner here getting ready to jump in. Would the "Self Teaching Adult Piano Course" be in lieu of the Alfred's Adult All-in-One Piano Method or in addition to it? Also, I don’t see the Self Teaching Adult piano course with DVD that you mentioned. I do see the Self Teaching Adult course with CD (http://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739052055) but not the DVD one. I would assume the DVD would be more helpful as you can actually observe posture, etc. Can you provide a link for it?

Thx. Rob

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission