2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, Colin Miles, 36251, 12 invisible), 2,158 guests, and 339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
OP Offline
F
Hi! I was sight-reading my score of the "Fantasia und Fugue" in G minor transcribed by Szántó and I realised He wrote some things in german.

The translator helps me with most of them but there is a translation of one of them which isn't very convincing.

Here you have the score:

Fantasia und Fugue in G Minor (IMSLP)

It's on the third page. It says "bedeutet das stumme Ablösen der Taste." The translator says: "means the removal of the silent button" but that makes no sense because I'm not using the "silent button" (it's not indicated >.< )

Thank you very much for trying help me!!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My guess is that "silent button" is meant to be the una corda pedal, but we'll see what a German speaker says.

-J

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I think it means hold the keys down silently.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by FranKiisko

It's on the third page. It says "bedeutet das stumme Ablösen der Taste." The translator says: "means the removal of the silent button" but that makes no sense because I'm not using the "silent button"

Translation: "means quiet (silent) release of the key"
Could this indicate that the F#A must be released silently while the D's continue to be held?

Last edited by keystring; 01/09/13 09:05 PM.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
I'm with keystring.

A movement of Schumann's Kreisleriana has the notation, "Durchaus leise zu halten." For a while I assumed it was the name of a lied that the movement was based on (which made immediate sense because those words can be exactly sung to the melody). After a while I figured it wouldn't hurt to check what the phrase means. It means to play the movement softly. grin

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Damon
I'm with keystring.

Me too.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Ditto.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
BDB Offline
B
A diamond-shaped note usually means one that is depressed without sounding. What is confusing about this is that the note was already played aloud, and could just be held.

Semipro Tech
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
'keep the key down while changing fingers'. It's a funny little nationalistic thing, Beethoven started this in using 'Hammerklavier', and 'mit Lebhaftigkeit und durchaus mit Empfindung und Ausdruck', meaning: 'Piano' and 'Allegro con sentimento e espressivo.' Schumann tried to follow in this manner, his best try: 'durchaus fantastisch und leidenschaftlich vorzutragen', meaning: 'continualmente con fantasia e con passione'. What's worse: the italian or the german? I don't mind. As long as finnish/hungarian/mongolian/chinese/japanese et al composers stick to italian/english or what the h... german.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
keystring´s translation is correct.
(I am a native-language German speaker, if this helps you to have full confidence)

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Equd on, euskadi!

D
D
Originally Posted by keystring

I'm German and I approve.

Last edited by David Benjamin; 01/11/13 05:40 AM.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by FranKiisko

It's on the third page. It says "bedeutet das stumme Ablösen der Taste." The translator says: "means the removal of the silent button" but that makes no sense because I'm not using the "silent button"

Could this indicate that the F#A must be released silently while the D's continue to be held?

I'm not sure there's any other way to release a note than silently, so I think that although you get the meaning across, that's not really an accurate translation of how the idea was expressed. I think what is really meant is that you shouldn't restrike the D's, but let their sound carry over from the chord. The footnote applies to the diamond-shaped D's, after all, which are not released. For your translation to work, the F# and A would need to be the diamond-shaped notes.

P
P
Hello everybody! First of all: Happy New Year from Switzerland!

Has anybody noticed the 16th-break? In that bar, the left hand plays an eighth note, then a 16th-note with a staccato dot, which (strangely) is connected to the next note (the diamond shaped one) with a bow. But in-between there's a 16th-break. So, I guess that the German sentence has to be interpreted such as to lift your fingers off the keys with the staccato note and then press them silently down at the diamond shaped one.
By the way, the pedal sign indicates to lift the pedal with the staccato note.

The piano keys are black and white,
But they sound like a million colours in your mind.
(Katie Melua)
To me, the staccato dot indicates that the F# and A are to be coordinated with the RH chord - a slur figure with a quick release.

The D octave is held, but the rest of the chord matches the articulation of the RH.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by wr

I'm not sure there's any other way to release a note than silently, so I think that although you get the meaning across, that's not really an accurate translation of how the idea was expressed. I think what is really meant is that you shouldn't restrike the D's, but let their sound carry over from the chord. The footnote applies to the diamond-shaped D's, after all, which are not released. For your translation to work, the F# and A would need to be the diamond-shaped notes.

What would you propose as an accurate translation?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

What would you propose as an accurate translation?

Probably something like "[the diamond-shaped note] means to press the key again silently". In the context it looks like that would mean to lift the hand while still holding the chord with the pedal, then silently pressing the keys to catch the sound before completely lifting the pedal. "Ablösen" can have a sense of taking over from, or superseding, something, so the most precise word for the translation might be "retaking", to say that you are to silently retake the notes with the D keys, after having sounded them in the preceding chord.

B
BDB Offline
B
It might be worthwhile to look at the original organ score to see what this might mean.

Semipro Tech
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
It might be worthwhile to look at the original organ score to see what this might mean.

I did look, and to me, it didn't really help to clarify things, except to show that the transcriber was being fairly creative, rather than trying to stay close to the original score.

Last edited by wr; 01/12/13 05:54 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission